Page 1 of 2
As a future musician, now I want to get a brand-new $450-$1300 Schecter to play with different sounds for hard rock, metal, heavy metal, trash metal and death metal, so I can finally get all the sets for my future band. Of course, it will either be my fifth to have tremolo with it and that is a new thing I still want to play. I'm thinking about which Schecter guitar I can get, depend on what you guys think:

Hellraiser C-1 FR for $900

Synyster Gates Custom S for $1150

C-1 FR Platinum for $500

Please let me know what you guys thinks about these guitars. If you're disagree, please comment about other Schecter guitar(s) on your mind. I hope you all have a wonderful day! Be blessed.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Last edited by Hal-Sephira at Jul 23, 2015,
Are you dead set on Schecter? Don't get me wrong they are nice (I have a Damien Elite 7), but for that price range there are a lot of options available, you may want to explore all of your options before you pull the trigger. Just my two cents!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Get the 2nd one if you wanna be bullied by A7X haters

If you're in the US get an Agile
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
From what you posted I'd buy #3. I wouldn't touch #2.

The differences between #1 and #3 look to be mostly cosmetic.

The styles of music you list mainly use EMG 81/85 and not the more versatile cool splitting of #1.

#1 has a slightly better bridge but you could upgrade the bridge on #3 for $200 if you ever needed to.

I'm not a fan of the $400 for mostly bling but to each their own.

If you're open to other superstrat shapes consider Jackson, ESP/LTD, and Ibanez.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I personally have the Hellraiser C-1 and it is a great instrument. I would consider looking at other brands though, but to be honest if you are dead set on Schecter there isn't anything wrong with any of them.

EDIT: Didn't realise this is your first instrument, if that is the case I strongly advise against spending over $400.
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 23, 2015,
there's a big difference between a 450$ guitar and a 1300$ guitar...

back in 2010 I bought a C-1 custom with a floyd rose for 1400$ and it's a really great guitar but you should not buy a very expensive guitar for your first one
The Syn guitar isn't that good in my opinion. Very overpriced. The Seymour Duncan Invader pickups are voiced poorly imo and by far the worst thing of all is the styling. It's a manifestation of every edgy 14 year old goth kid's fantasy. I had never felt so embarrassed playing in front of people than the time I tried to one out of curiosity.

I'd personally get a Blackjack if you only want something with a Schecter logo on it. Otherwise I'd look into other brands like Jackson, Ibanez and LTD.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Will this be your first guitar? If it is, start off with a relatively cheap one. Not so cheap that the quality is compromised but not too expensive to be considered a waste of money if you don't continue playing.
If it's not your first guitar then I'd suggest going to a good music shop with an open mind and trying out a few guitars. Don't go with the intention of getting a Schecter, go with the intention of getting a guitar which feels good to you - a huge amount of your sound will come from your amp rather than your guitar.

Also if it's your first guitar, either avoid a Floyd Rose or do plenty of research first so you know exactly what you're getting.
Last edited by derek8520 at Jul 23, 2015,
Look into the Banshee Elite.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Wait for your first guitar? Please don't be that person and Floyd Rose is NOT for a beginner, they're a pain in the ass. Get something with a hardtail to start out with like a Jackson King V, Epiphone Les Paul Studio, or Explorer
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
by far the worst thing of all is the styling. It's a manifestation of every edgy 14 year old goth kid's fantasy..

Well said, no offense to those who like the shape, but for me the Syn Gates is one of the ugliest guitars designs ever and I like weird shaped guitars. Of course I have been told the same thing about a couple of mine!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

just get a prs 7. coil tap, 24 frets, and 7 srtings, what more could you ask for? you can get them new and shipped off ebay for 500 $, which leaves you with enough cash for pickups and mods.
Dont buy a new hellraiser. The used market is flooded with them for $300-$400. Sometimes even cheaper. They're awesome guitars. Ive got 7 of em.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by metalmingee

#1 has a slightly better bridge but you could upgrade the bridge on #3 for $200 if you ever needed to.

Upgrading the bridge isn't worth the hassle because if you add that $200 to the price, there are loads of other options available... even better used.

I wonder why TS is so obsessed about Schecter guitars. Nothing special about them to me. No brand is special to me... these days I like my 7-string UV a lot and it's an Ibanez, but I wouldn't give a damn if it was made by any other manufacturer.

Quote by PiercedBand
Please don't be that person and Floyd Rose is NOT for a beginner, they're a pain in the ass.

I do agree that starting out with a Floyd Rose bridge could be hard but they are not a pain in the ass.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jul 23, 2015,
Yeah I was referring to the first time you have a Floyd, it took me 15 minutes to go to Drop D. The bridge fell in and everything, God it was a mess. It's way easier now but I can't imagine having a Floyd for a first guitar
Quote by Sakke
I do agree that starting out with a Floyd Rose bridge could be hard but they are not a pain in the ass.

I agree to an extent. All of my guitars have floating bridges, including my first one I got when I was 10. Having a floating bridge meant I needed to learn how to use it properly and forced me to be strict when it came to tuning the instrument.

My advice would be if TS is willing to put in the time and effort to properly learn how to use and look after a guitar with a floating bridge then go for it. If not, just get a fixed bridge and save the hassle.
Spending $1000? RG Prestige.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I can't be the only one who thinks Schecter is one of the most cliche looking brands. Only guitar of theirs that looks any different is the Gary Holt signature V, the rest look like something a bunch of A7X edgy kids would play.
First of all, if it's your first guitar (actually it's hard to tell from your post), I recommend sticking to around the $500 area if you have the money - this kind of price can really get you a very solid guitar, but it's a bad idea to invest more if you don't have a bit of experience to determine what specs do you like exactly. If you're fine with used, you can probably also save a bit of money if you find a good deal. (That's up to you, personally I prefer new guitars, but I can see why people like used ones.)

Second, in this price range I honestly think it's hard to find better than Schecter, so of course it's always a good idea to try out other brands if you find them. But Schecter tends to offer better specs in comparison to other brands, especially in this price range, along with very decent QC. Ibanez, for example, excels at neither in this price range as far as I know.

Third, if it's your first guitar, then I also agree with what's been said above - don't get a Floyd Rose. Get something with a fixed bridge, it's a lot easier to maintain and setup. If it's actually just your first guitar with a Floyd, then most of their models also have an FR version.

Damien Elite should be a good option, it's relatively inexpensive with really decent specs: http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/damien-elite/damien-elite-6-detail the entire Blackjack series is also awesome, but a bit more expensive.

Quote by PiercedBand
I can't be the only one who thinks Schecter is one of the most cliche looking brands. Only guitar of theirs that looks any different is the Gary Holt signature V, the rest look like something a bunch of A7X edgy kids would play.

They have one of the most diverse and interesting aesthetics of the hard rock/metal-oriented guitar brands, unlike Ibanez/Jackson/LTD which have the "any colour you like as long as it's black" syndrome all over them with a few exceptions. They have a bunch of models which are closer aesthetically to PRS than generic metal guitars.

And I find it interesting that you're referring to one of the most absurdly "edgy" models they've done...
Last edited by TheLiberation at Jul 23, 2015,
Eh, I must say their basses are pretty cool looking though, I can't think of which one it is but I love it. I think the Hellraiser Extreme 4
The Synyster Gates absolutely not. Ugly (and I also like non-traditional shapes) and too expensive.

I don't see enough of a difference between the other two that would warrant such a price difference.

I also recommend looking at Agile. Their guitars are made by the same guys who make these Schecters. For the price of the C-1 FR Platinum you can get an Agile with Ebony, Grover tuners and a FR-1000. And of course there are other brands.
yeah, at the $1000 price point, anything other than Ibanez Prestiges or used ESP Standards/E-IIs is a little silly. Don't spend a grand on a Korean guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I saw some people saying negative things about $1150 Synyster guitar?

What's up? Can you explain more about Syn guitar, please?
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Quote by Hal-Sephira at #33514966
I saw some people saying negative things about $1150 Synyster guitar?

What's up? Can you explain more about Syn guitar, please?

We just did.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you want a Gates guitar they're all over the used market, and IMO they don't play like a $1000+ guitar.

If you want to spend decent money on a Schecter, look into a Banshee or one of the Blackjack lines. Hellraisers are also too commonly found to justify buying a factory new one.
Personally I played a Synyster Gates Custom and it was pretty incredible. Even for a gloss finished neck it felt fine. Played smooth, sounded great. Honestly so good I'd consider putting his signature pickups in other guitars. BUT it is spongier sounding than I typically play. (I play EMG 81/89 combo as my main right now.) But the whole sustainiac thing seems like a super fun gimick that should inspire some fun creative ideas. BUT there are other options. I would personally go for a Jackson Pro series of some form. Specifically if I had your budget I'd buy one of these metal machines.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-dinky-dk2rmg-m-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-sl2-pro-soloist-quilt-maple-electric-guitar
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by PiercedBand
Yeah I was referring to the first time you have a Floyd, it took me 15 minutes to go to Drop D. The bridge fell in and everything, God it was a mess. It's way easier now but I can't imagine having a Floyd for a first guitar

If you DO have a Floyd on a first guitar and have someone show you how to handle it properly, it's a piece of cake. If you're doing a lot of alternate tuning, a trem (and particularly a fulcrum-based trem) isn't going to be your best choice.

Unless your guitar is a Variax. *ahem*
Quote by GraceByDeath
But the whole sustainiac thing seems like a super fun gimick that should inspire some fun creative ideas.

Sustainers are used by a number of pros (well beyond a "super fun gimick (sic)"), including Steve Vai, Kerry King, The Edge, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Blues Saraceno, Neal Schon, Steve Stevens, Rudolph Schenker, Danny Loner, Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Steve Lukather, Reeves Gabriel, Duff McKagan, and a raft of others.

It tends to be a sort of "dirty little secret." In addition to the whole "infinite sustain" thing, it's also used to get that "high volume stand in front of your amp" sustain thing where the note transitions to an octave-up harmonic squeal and back down again. Except that you don't need high volume and don't need to stand in front of your amp. In fact, you don't need an amp at all. You can accomplish it in a recording studio or an orchestra pit while listening to yourself on headphones if you prefer.

I've been using them for several years (the Fernandes version installed on LPs with Floyds).
One other thing -- don't judge a guitar by the pricetag. It's entirely possible for an $1150 to sound and play like crap, especially if the price is inflated due to artist endorsement expenses.

A lot of guitar brands have "sweet spots" where the value is very high and the price is very reasonable. Schecter is way outside of that sweet spot when you start getting above $700-800.

Finally, a Schecter isn't an expensive guitar by a longshot.

Everyone's experience is going to be different, but if I had to divide guitars into three groups, "Under $1000" would be the bottom end, $1000-3000 would be midrange, and $3500 and up would fall into "expensive." In the latter category you'll find the better Gibsons, better PRSs, Nik Hubers, Trussarts, yada yada.

It's like restaurants; You know you're going to get cheap food at Bob's. Medium-quality food at a place called Robert's. And high-end fussy food at Robaire's.
Quote by dspellman
One other thing -- don't judge a guitar by the pricetag. It's entirely possible for an $1150 to sound and play like crap, especially if the price is inflated due to artist endorsement expenses.

A lot of guitar brands have "sweet spots" where the value is very high and the price is very reasonable. Schecter is way outside of that sweet spot when you start getting above $700-800.

Everyone's experience is going to be different, but if I had to divide guitars into three groups, "Under $1000" would be the bottom end, $1000-3000 would be midrange, and $3500 and up would fall into "expensive." In the latter category you'll find the better Gibsons, better PRSs, Nik Hubers, Trussarts, yada yada.

It's like restaurants; You know you're going to get cheap food at Bob's. Medium-quality food at a place called Robert's. And high-end fussy food at Robaire's.

agree for teh most part but i think you have to break it down a little more. you can't really compare a $179 Squier and a $1000 American standard as bottom end guitars. i've always viewed guitars not totally by price but rather by perceived use. beginner guitars (self explanatory), bar band guitars (most seen being used in decent bar bands), pro (used by bands that are making actual money) and last but not least Rock Star (again not tough to figure out).
Quote by oneblackened
yeah, at the $1000 price point, anything other than Ibanez Prestiges or used ESP Standards/E-IIs is a little silly. Don't spend a grand on a Korean guitar.

+3.1415. i think its hard to beat a ibanez prestige for the money you can find them for IF you like the neck. the quality on my ibbys is incredible. i would put ESP right after (not LTD), if not right next to. i think another good option could be a PRS CE, they go in budget used and are definitely in line with the prestige ibbys and ESPs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Random3

EDIT: Didn't realise this is your first instrument, if that is the case I strongly advise against spending over $400.

I disagree whole-heartedly.

OP, if you've got the money and want a nice guitar, don't be afraid to get a nice guitar. If you cheap out, you can very easily get a guitar that doesn't feel good to play, and that will make you play less, and will be a pain to maintain. My Hellraiser was my first guitar. I bought it because it felt better than the cheap ones, and I had the money. Because I had a kick ass high quality guitar that I really enjoyed, right off the bat, I played like hell, all the time. If you like the look and feel of a guitar that happens to be more expensive than another one, the only reason not to get it is if you can't (or at least shouldn't) afford it.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by oneblackened

It's all about quality control. And set ups. I've played Korean guitars that sound and feel better than 90% of the American made guitars I've played. And I've worked in a guitar store for years. I've played hundreds of them.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
the robert smith signature is pretty sweet looking though. but ive never played one.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by PiercedBand

Aside from the actual signature models from the members of A7X, I think most of their guitars look just like any other modern model superstrat from any other company. Which might be what you mean when you say they look "cliche", but if that is what you mean then I have to ask, what doesn't look "cliche" to you?
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
i dont understand why ax7 is associated with goth or metal lol. especially goth. they have never had anything ever to do with goth music.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dspellman

I definitely agree with the "more expensive =/= better quality" sentiment, but your price division is... weird to say the least. $1000 or even $700 is in no way "bottom end", and $1500 is in no way "midrange" (you can get a Mayones for this price).

$500 can already get you a really solid guitar (of which Schecter is a great example), and $1000 is definitely solid midrange already, and there's a whole lot of professional touring bands, who just happen to not be absurdly rich but no less professional than many bands playing arenas, who play guitars around that price.

Off the top of my head, Mikael Akerfeldt's signature is a PRS SE, and Jeff Loomis' Schecter sig is also Korean-made and about the same price (or at least they have been for years). If these two are not examples of professional guitarists, I don't know who is.

-----------------

Either way, agreed with what the_bi99man said, that if the OP is serious about playing guitar and can afford a better guitar, it's really not a bad idea to invest a bit more money, it's just that I don't think going right into $1000 models makes sense as there's plenty of specs that are down to preference and take some time to experience to decide what's your favourite. So I think getting a solid $400-500 guitar first makes a lot of sense, as it will definitely play nice, but if you find over time that other guitars have other stuff you prefer (different pickups, different bridge, different neck profile etc. etc.), you can keep it as a backup or whatever, and then put more money into a more expensive guitar which is exactly what you want.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
As a future musician, now I want to get a brand-new $450-$1300 Schecter to play with different sounds for hard rock, metal, heavy metal, trash metal and death metal, so I can finally get all the sets for my future band. Of course, it will either be my fifth to have tremolo with it and that is a new thing I still want to play. I'm thinking about which Schecter guitar I can get, depend on what you guys think:

Hellraiser C-1 FR for $900

Synyster Gates Custom S for $1150

C-1 FR Platinum for $500

Please let me know what you guys thinks about these guitars. If you're disagree, please comment about other Schecter guitar(s) on your mind. I hope you all have a wonderful day! Be blessed.

Get a Blackjack SLS C1. Great guitar, fantastic playability.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BJSLSC1PSTBB
$1100 gets you a good used guitar and decent used tube amp.... with soe change left over to buy beer
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Page 1 of 2