Ok so I am using a Bad Monkey overdrive pedal (gain MIN, level MAX) as a clean boost into my Marshall 50w JVM.

My chain is guitar, Shure wireless, boost pedal, amp.

I am just reading through the manual of the Shure wireless unit, and the output gain on the reciever can be set anywhere from -10db up to +35db approx.

I have always used it at 0db. Now I am thinking if I put it up to +20db or so will it give me the same effect as using the boost pedal (I always have it on anyway, and just use guitar volume to clean up sound).

It would be one less link in chain, one less power lead, one less lead to mess about with and make it a tiny bit easier setting up and packing away after gigs.

I am going to try it myself later, but the problem is being able to A/B quickly enough to notice changes. By the time, I unplug, bypass pedal, and increase gain on reciever its gona be 30 secs or so, and therefore hard to judge.
Last edited by Rmonix at Jul 23, 2015,
I think it'll work, but it won't sound the same.

The bad monkey is going to be colouring your tone a fair bit, it's not a completely transparent boost like you'll probably get from the shure wireless receiver.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Try it and trust your ears. A +20db should not cause any damage to your amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I bet if you do the wireless boost to amp versus cable (no wireless) to bad monkey to amp you will like the cable/badmonkey combo a lot better. Ive noticed the bad monkey colors your tone, but wireless tends to suck your tone and make it sound thinner / noticeably kills some high end definition; at least my wireless unit did (line 6 g something). Set up a mic and record your tones, then you can listen after the fact and decide what you think sounds better
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69