hi!

maybe it's just where i live but i've been told a couple of times now not to leave the capo on your guitar. supposedly over longer periods of time it does some kind of harm (to the fret intonation?) of your instrument but nobody actually could tell me what happens exactly.

so, does anybody know? is it good or bad or does it not matter? and if it matters, in what way is the damage done?

of course, i go by "better save than sorry" and remove it when i'm done playing but i'm curious ... and don't wanna test it out on my dear dear lovely guitar

edit: naturally, i already did an online search but except people's guesses nothing came up. i'd really like the opinion of a luthier and/or some data, so if you got a link i'll gladly admit my incompetence at googling ...
Last edited by Czily at Jul 23, 2015,
Unless you are using a woodworking clamp as a capo it isn't going to do anything.

I am not a luthier but you shouldn't need a luthier to answer this. Think about it. A capo basically is "squeezing" the neck of the guitar on a particular fret. This is the same thing that happens when you fret a note with your hand. Neither of these things are going to affect the intonation.
I think it might just wear the strings a bit quicker. Next time you restring your guitar, you might notice your wound strings have flat spots, and that's just from fretting. So that extra pressure from the capo would speed that up in that certain spot.
I once found a banjo from the 30s that had had a capo on it for probably a couple decades. The frets were incredible corroded and there were ruts about a quarter of the way down into the frets. Like I said, that's a couple decades and corrosion - and brass frets. Anything less than a few months will have no tangible effect whatsoever.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
As K33 discovered, dissimlar metals in constant contact create corrosion. How much and how fast is anyone's guess. So if you want to be safe I would suggest removing it when you are done.
Quote by PSimonR
It ruins the capo. The strings dig into the rubber. Then when you next use it it doesn't hold the strings down properly.

I should've thought of that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by PSimonR
It ruins the capo. The strings dig into the rubber. Then when you next use it it doesn't hold the strings down properly.

Maybe if you buy a piece of shit capo.

It's not a problem, and any attempt to pretend it is is just mental masturbation.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
leaving the capo on creates black holes that can consume the Earth, how else do you think we got those super massive black holes in the middle of galaxies? ancient civilizations left capos on their guitars. not worth it.

it is similar to never putting your tube amp on standby when you turn it on or off.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I once found a banjo from the 30s that had had a capo on it for probably a couple decades. The frets were incredible corroded and there were ruts about a quarter of the way down into the frets. Like I said, that's a couple decades and corrosion - and brass frets. Anything less than a few months will have no tangible effect whatsoever.

Bimetallic corrosion!
yeah, still more or less a lot of guess work going on but thanks for the replies! especially K33nbl4d3's discovery of that old banjo is interesting. finally at least some kind of data

but gumbilicious' objection that it will create black holes distresses me, because i already have my bets placed on that the LHC at cern will be the first to make a black hole, so i can cash out when the earth gets destroyed. no leaving on the capo for me then!