I switched an 81 set from one of my guitars into another, and I'm not getting as much output as I did before. I already changed the battery, and the wiring job is correct, but I'm thinking it might be that I extended the red battery wire by splicing it and adding a length to the middle so I could store it in the trem claw rout around back of the guitar. I ran it through the same path as the previous ground wire, but needed a couple inches of extra length to make it work. So my question is this - did extending the battery wire cause some sort of loss in output? If so, is it because of the wire gauge (22g)? Help is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
The extra bit of wire is not the issue unless it's not connecting properly or was left bare and is shorting out.

Are you sure everything is hooked up correctly? Maybe a few pictures?

Did you put in a stereo jack as well?

Are the pickups close to the strings? Actives have a relatively weak magnet compared to passives and you need the bridge pickup pretty close.

Does the issue exist with both the neck and bridge pickups?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I've checked the connections twice over and they're good. The jack is a stereo, and the pots are accurate at 25k. The wiring is all intact - I essentially pulled it from an RG and put it into a strat. The height is average, but I'll up it and see if that helps. Also I'll put some pics up if the problem persists after adjusting height.

Thanks

Edit - actually, on writing this, I can't help but wonder as I'm new to modding - could it be as simple as going from a solid RG to semi-hollow body strat?

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Jul 23, 2015,
usually the longer the wire the worst it is but with guitars it's no big deal.

cold solder joints would be one thing to look at
perhaps on the stereo jack mixing up contacts
string height ..absolutely could be a reason
when in doubt try the 18v mod , it brings the regular preamp EMG pickups to life so anything like the H (not HZ) , 58, 60, 81.85 or 89. Not the X series of any.

but gauge of wire shouldn't be an issue at all. I like 24 AWG myself. But one thing to consider is acoustically is the strat as loud as the previous guitar? Some reason my BC Rich beast which has an 18k bridge pickup is nowhere near as loud and aggressive as my warlock. The beast is bigger , the pickups are the same and all so it could be something like that. Wood in guitars can at times get neglected as people just care about pickups and strings.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jul 23, 2015,
Ok, went ahead and tried changing the pickup height, and it didn't change the output. But I did realize that it's only the bridge pickup, not the neck, that's having this issue. Flipping over to the neck 81 pushes out the amount of output I'm accustomed to from an 81, while the bridge is... I guess thin is the best way to put it? Lacking sustain, flatter sounding. I know the bridge is tighter, but this doesn't have as much push as the neck does, or even close - I think the most succinct way to describe it is that the bridge pickup sounds as if the volume is rolled off about a quarter of the way.

I'm going to re-check the wiring again, and see if I can't turn up with something. If I don't find anything, I'll swap the two and see if it's maybe just an issue with a pickup that's nearly 9 years old. It'll be easy enough with the quick-connect.

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Looks like it was a pickup issue - hardware. On taking them out, I looked at the mfg date to find it was 2003, and once I switched them around, the one I'd taken from the neck and put in the bridge screams, and the one I took from the bridge that was having problems doesn't even sound anymore. Good news is that I did everything right, bad news is that I'll need to buy another 81. Maybe an 85 for the neck this time...

Anyway, thanks for the help.

silentfall.bandcamp.com