Hi guys,

So i'm new here. And there's something on my mind. I play guitar for 3,5 years now and i have never been in a band or played with other people. My dad is in a coverband and they are pretty big and there are people in it with lots of experience and musical background, 3 of which are professional musicians (so the expectations are really high).

So my dad asked me to join as a guest for a special gig in front of 1500 people. I was like yeah dude i'll totally join and i can do 4 songs with them. Now the thing is, i don't have ANY experience playing with other people and i've been given only 1 rehearsal with the band before the gig takes place.

The thing is: It's not that i'm so nervous to the point that i'll lose my mind but it's pretty exciting. First song isn't so bad (it's a Queen song), but i have to do the solo on the second song right after that (which is Run To The Hills). Run To The Hills is one of the easiest songs ever but playing a solo (which i improvised at home and actually created a slightly more challenging one than the original, there is some tapping in it and the band plays the songs 5% faster) on your first time on stage in front of 1500 people while it's the SECOND time playing with other people ever can be something to get nervous about.

Being nervous is good, but i really don't want to mess up. I got the parts down but sometimes being nervous can make you sloppy and stuff. I also thought: Okay, if i'm really nervous i'll just place a sock around my neck, illuminating the mistakes (if i hit an open string by accident).

My guitar tone is great, the solo is great. Do you guys have any tips for me? Or did you experience something like this yourself?

Thanks in advance!
You've played with other people once and you're now going to do so in front of 1500 people? that's not a good recipe, even if you aren't nervous. However that doesn't mean it will go sour, you sound like you know exactly what you need to do for the most part.

Main piece of advice is watch the other musicians. If you watch them while you're playing, you'll fit in better.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
You've played with other people once and you're now going to do so in front of 1500 people? that's not a good recipe, even if you aren't nervous. However that doesn't mean it will go sour, you sound like you know exactly what you need to do for the most part.

Main piece of advice is watch the other musicians. If you watch them while you're playing, you'll fit in better.

Thank you! No, i haven't played with other people before. Rehearsal is in 14 days from now (that'll be my first time) and the gig itself is 22 days away (making it my 2nd time ever).

It's just that i don't want to mess up. Good chance i'll stand my ground and play very well, but being nervous can bring some mistakes or sloppiness with it.
Relax, listen carefully to the other players and just tear it up when it's your turn. It's almost certain that you will hit a zinger or fat finger a few but it's live music, play on. Have fun!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Tim van Duijn
It's just that i don't want to mess up. Good chance i'll stand my ground and play very well, but being nervous can bring some mistakes or sloppiness with it.

No one will care unless you really badly mangle it, and from what we've heard you're confident you won't be that bad. And like Cajundaddy said, it's live, I wouldn't say it was expected, but a few mistakes are easily excusable. Plus the band will completely understand what you're going through, they were all once like you.

Good luck and have fun!
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
No one will care unless you really badly mangle it, and from what we've heard you're confident you won't be that bad. And like Cajundaddy said, it's live, I wouldn't say it was expected, but a few mistakes are easily excusable. Plus the band will completely understand what you're going through, they were all once like you.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much guys! I'll let you know how it was.
I recently played a wedding ceremony for the first time, I was playing solo acoustic stuff. I had practiced non-stop for a wee while before the wedding but still got super nervous the morning before. Despite the nerves I played perfectly because I'd practiced so much. If you practice enough it will show, no matter how nervous you are. Just have fun with it and good luck
Well, the gig was last friday and it was so amazing man! It could not have gone better. I was pretty nervous. Everyone took it very seriously and the band hired a stage manager to manage everything and to make sure everyone was ready and stuff like that.

Thanks to all! Here is a clip. This was the first song i did, halfway through the set of the band, solo went pretty well! It's pretty hard to hear me, the sound guys turned me up halfway through my solo, but oh well.. I'm the one on the far right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LV3SCJK6jk&feature=youtu.be