i have some chips and cracks (possibly wood damage im having it checked out this weekend) in the finish of my firebird III, how much would it cost to have them fixed, and how hard would it be to fix them yourself.(Invalid img) (Invalid img) (Invalid img) (Invalid img) (Invalid img)
You could be talking big $ for a pro invisible repair/refinish. Maybe $500-1000?

If it is a Gibson, it might repair quite well (no witness lines) with nail varnish, which is very similar to the nito lacquer they use. If it is a poly finish, you could still patch it with nail varnish, but it would likely have witness lines.

How did it happen? I might just leave it as-is, as legitimate battle scars.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jul 23, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
You could be talking big $ for a pro invisible repair/refinish. Maybe $500-1000?

If it is a Gibson, it might repair quite well (no witness lines) with nail varnish, which is very similar to the nito lacquer they use. If it is a poly finish, you could still patch it with nail varnish, but it would likely have witness lines.

How did it happen? I might just leave it as-is, as legitimate battle scars.

it is an epi from the 90s so its probably poly. i only paid 400 for it but i was unaware of the marks, i already contacted the seller and he wants to give me back 50$
A lot of questions here...
Why is the chip in the headstock black?
Why do yo have one tuner that's absolutely the wrong tuner? Where did you get this guitar?

The real question mark is that major crack (I don't think it's just a finish crack) in the neck pocket of the guitar. Was that there when you got the guitar? It's not a clear photograph, but the crack is so long (it seems like) in the neck pocket region that it may actually be a structural problem.

The guitar was dropped? Or did a pissed-off wife jump on it? If I picked it up and didn't know the story, I'd guess that the guitar neck hit the ground so hard that the headstock was dinged, the tuner damaged and the neck pocket screwed up all in one go. If you bought it in this condition, you probably shouldn't have. If you caused the condition, you probably shouldn't have <G>. Both of the chips can probably be fixed using the "drop fill" method (pull up the StewMac site for information on how to do that):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24
Quote by jonnyspace50
it is an epi from the 90s so its probably poly. i only paid 400 for it but i was unaware of the marks, i already contacted the seller and he wants to give me back 50$

The nicks and dings aren't the issue -- put up another shot of that neck heel crack.
That may be a deal breaker.
I think dspellman is onto this one. That looks like a crack to me as it isn't straight. I have and have seen other guitars that have finish cracks at the neck pocket but they are straight lines.

Send that back if the damage wasn't disclosed.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I think dspellman is onto this one. That looks like a crack to me as it isn't straight. I have and have seen other guitars that have finish cracks at the neck pocket but they are straight lines.

Send that back if the damage wasn't disclosed.

the damage was not disclosed, id hate to send it back because it is so rare and i like the guitar, i wasnt aware of ANY of the chips or cracks as they were all Just out of frame on the eBay page. I think ill have to send it back, all that damage isnt worth the 50 bucks the seller offered me to shut up. the tuner was even turned so that you couldn"t notice it was wrong in the eBay listing
^ wow, what a dick

i'd send it back just to make it awkward for the seller, in the hope that it makes him think twice before doing that again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ wow, what a dick

i'd send it back just to make it awkward for the seller, in the hope that it makes him think twice before doing that again.

yeah, im still gonna have my luthier at http://www.starvingmusician.com/ check it out before i file for a refund, one thing for sure, he is going to pay return shipping AND get 0 stars lol
remember to get it sorted to your satisfaction before you leave negative feedback
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with some of the other posters...that crack looks scary. I would get it checked out fast so you can still send it back without any problems. $50 isn't enough as it will take that just to get a set of proper tuners.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
i took it to the Luther today, he unscrewed the neck and found that the crack is 50/50, half of it is in the wood on the side of the neck pocket, but further down the crack becomes only in the finish as the wood becomes too thick for a full crack. after plugging it in when i got home (it has no strings because of my recent DIY (and well done) fret polishing) it buzzed kinda loudly unless i made contact with the pickup, the output jack was also buzzy and popping when you touched it or moved the guitar too much. i told the guy that ill accept a rather large but reasonable rebate (170) or ill return it. repairing the electronics wouldn't be too hard because i have an extra Les Paul Traditional Pro, wiring scheme but the neck would still be a loaded gun. and the buzz could also be caused by bad pickups which could be another 200 dollars for pickups. I am almost starting to regret even the large rebate offer as the guitar is becoming a bargen bin fixer upper. i found a epi firebird vii to fill the firebird sized hole in my heart if this (or when) this guitar gets returned.
Did you say you did a fret job on it? If I was the seller and knew that and that you intended to send it back then Id tell you to get F'd lol. As far as I am concerned, you should have sent it back straight away instead of piss fart around 'polishing' frets etc (and needing a luthier to unscrew 4 screws to look for a crack in some wood but still happy to level and polish the frets which can be far more fundamental to the playability of the guitar sort of makes me scratch my head a bit, if you're competent enough to do the frets, why are you so scared of a screwdriver?). Check the item out first, make sure its in the condition represented etc, but once you start doing work to it or modifying it then sorry but you own it, crack or no crack.
Last edited by dazza027 at Jul 25, 2015,
Quote by dazza027
Did you say you did a fret job on it? If I was the seller and knew that and that you intended to send it back then Id tell you to get F'd lol. As far as I am concerned, you should have sent it back straight away instead of piss fart around 'polishing' frets etc (and needing a luthier to unscrew 4 screws to look for a crack in some wood but still happy to level and polish the frets which can be far more fundamental to the playability of the guitar sort of makes me scratch my head a bit, if you're competent enough to do the frets, why are you so scared of a screwdriver?). Check the item out first, make sure its in the condition represented etc, but once you start doing work to it or modifying it then sorry but you own it, crack or no crack.

Gotta agree here.
Yeah, the seller sounds like a dick for not disclosing the proper condition of the guitar.
BUT, once you work on it or have work done on it or change ANYTHING ON IT IN ANY WAY its yours.
I sure as hell wouldn't take it back if you did work on it.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 25, 2015,
Quote by CodeMonk
Gotta agree here.
Yeah, the seller sounds like a dick for not disclosing the proper condition of the guitar.
BUT, once you work on it or have work done on it or change ANYTHING ON IT IN ANY WAY its yours.
I sure as hell wouldn't take it back if you did work on it.

ill just sparay some brown paint on the frets JK
Owned:
Fender Pawn Shop Jagurillo
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone EJ200CE
1999 Epiphone firebird VII
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Quote by dazza027

i could have unscrewed it but not diagnosed it
Owned:
Epiphone EJ200CE
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100
I had already told the seller i was going to polish the frets and he still negotiated refund terms while knowing the fact.
Owned:
Epiphone EJ200CE
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100
I think that that then is the best result, take his refund and learn from the experience. Inspect fully, ask for more photo's before buying etc, and if possible always inspect in person before handing the cash over which is difficult when buying over the interwebs admittedly but you'll stress a lot less actually holding the instrument before purchasing.
Quote by dazza027
I think that that then is the best result, take his refund and learn from the experience. Inspect fully, ask for more photo's before buying etc, and if possible always inspect in person before handing the cash over which is difficult when buying over the interwebs admittedly but you'll stress a lot less actually holding the instrument before purchasing.

Yeah, i should of been more care-full with this one, i found it on the last day of the auction and sniped it. Turns out the seller doesn't play guitar, but his DAD is a Luther.
Owned:
Epiphone EJ200CE
Fender Mustang III
SOLD:
Arcrylic Telecaster copy
K-Tone Hollow body
P bass Copy
Ibanez JS100