Gents, I'm lookin for a pedal to plug into to get a great metal sound. I'll be playing it through either my Mesa Mini Rec or my Marshall 100w TSL. I've got a Damage control Solid metal and a Rat and a HBE Big D.

I'm thinking about trading in the SOlid Metal!

Whats your go to pedal for great Metal tones?

Bands that i like, any 80s hair metal, Metallica, Nightwish, Alterbridge, symphony X, etc.

Thanks for the help
agree a good overdrive will get you far better results. look at a Digitech Hardwire CM-2
Hey there are plenty of great reviews for Boss-MT pedals, I played on one myself and I hear there's a lot of variety for it, though I only used it to get that thrashy Master of Puppets sound.

Check out Boss-MT, simple pedal but gives great metal distortion.
how do you edit signature?
Quote by arvarna
Hey there are plenty of great reviews for Boss-MT pedals, I played on one myself and I hear there's a lot of variety for it, though I only used it to get that thrashy Master of Puppets sound.

wait what..?

OP if the Solid Metal isn't working for you then not much else will... I've got one at the moment and they're the best i've used.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by arvarna

New account, Boss MT-2 suggestion...eh.

I say go the overdrive into a dirty amp. Green Rhino, Hardwire CM-2, Duncan 805.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Srs the mini rec is a really good sounding head and you shouldnt be needing any over-the-top pedals to get what you want. I anything, maybe a tubescreamer for some tightness, but you could probably dial the tightness in on the amp too. You really shouldnt need a lot of gain either. Remember, one single guitar amp wont really sound like the full band recordings that you compare against. If you want to get the most enjoyment out of your tone / amp, play it through a 412 cab, and sit right in front of it with your ears level to the speakers. Always sounds the tits when I do that
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Overdrive, I've got a HBE power screamer, should do it then, really it's just a case of GAS. I'm acquiring pedals at the moment, saw a EH Metal Muff for $44, thought I might jump on that. Maybe I'll just mess around with the solid metal again, but if there's any other suggestions keep them coming, the empress sounded awesome
Quote by greeny23
wait what..?

OP if the Solid Metal isn't working for you then not much else will... I've got one at the moment and they're the best i've used.

Any setting suggestions??
Quote by Watterboy
Srs the mini rec is a really good sounding head and you shouldnt be needing any over-the-top pedals to get what you want. I anything, maybe a tubescreamer for some tightness, but you could probably dial the tightness in on the amp too. You really shouldnt need a lot of gain either. Remember, one single guitar amp wont really sound like the full band recordings that you compare against. If you want to get the most enjoyment out of your tone / amp, play it through a 412 cab, and sit right in front of it with your ears level to the speakers. Always sounds the tits when I do that

+3.1415 you have a decent amp. i don't know why you are needing a distortion pedal. maybe an OD, but still.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by grim1
Any setting suggestions??

Just run the amp clean and don't go overboard with the pedal. I use it with a rocker 30 and it sounds huge. What's your issues with it?
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
Just run the amp clean and don't go overboard with the pedal. I use it with a rocker 30 and it sounds huge. What's your issues with it?

I think my issues are mostly due to settings, i'm not a tweaker, I want to just plug in and have it sound great. Really I just need time to tweak all the settings to a sound that I want.

What sounds are you using it for? metallica, megadeth, etc....
Quote by diabolical
The Mesa can definitely do that on its own with no pedals added. If you really need to, maybe an overdrive

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you don't really want to dial the amp in try a Peavey 6505.

Heavy to really heavy - Red channel, Gain on 3 - 5, EQ all on 5, volume where you want.
Less heavy to thrash stuff - Green channel, Crunch on, Gain 6, EQ and volume as above
Lighter metally stuff - Green Channel, Crunch on, Gain 3ish, EQ and volume as above
Cleanish - Green channel, Crunch off, Gain, EQ, and volume as above

One of the easiest freaking amps to dial up. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by arvarna

bad... bad noobie. The tsl has more than enough gain on tap for metal, maybe a tubescreamer of sorts is what you are looking for as a boost. try out a bunch of overdrives at your local guitar center and pick one.. or get a new amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
TS, please, for my sanity and everyone else's, address why you are using a pedal through two good metal amps.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
TS, please, for my sanity and everyone else's, address why you are using a pedal through two good metal amps.

the Solid Metal is more than just a pedal..
mojostompboxes.com
Are you speaking figuratively or literally? Even so, he has a couple of pretty sick amps, seems a waste to not use the OD channels...

Edit: just looked at the Solid Metal, that does look sick. But still, Mini Rec and TSL! I could if you wanted a different sound, but TS seems to be struggling getting just a base metal sound...
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Jul 24, 2015,
That must be one hell of a pedal.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Problem is my skill with actually dialing in a sound, my ears are so shot I can't really hear a big difference when I Start fussin with the nobs, and once I do start to mess with it it seems to lack something, hence the pedals, I'm really bad at figuring how to get the tone in my head out of my amps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll start with the basics and just go guitar to amp and work from there
I gotcha, yeah it can be tough sometimes, I do highly recommend trying a boost through your Mesa, they really sound great with an overdrive in front. Nothing wrong with using pedals for gain, I have an old Champ 12 just for feeding my slow growing collection of Fuzzes, but I just think it's a shame you have all that metal madness at your disposal and you'd run a pedal through it.
Might be a silly question but are you powering the Solid Metal correctly?
mojostompboxes.com
Yeah, it comes with it's own power supply and i still use that plugged directly into a power strip.