I'm interested in getting a new pedal, the one that really caught my attention was the Whammy 5. Thing is, I came across the ME-25 and apparently it has a whammy and even more effects, which I think I might be interested in. Only tried the Whammy 5 so far and liked it.

Anyone know why one would be a better purchase than the other?
I have the Boss ME-25 and I can safely say I won't get tired of it.

Really depends on what do you expect from the new pedal. If it's for fun, you'll probably find more in the Boss ME-25.

If you're really looking for more whammy functionality then the Digitech is probably more suitable.
Pretty much what sfx said.

The whammy on the boss wont be as in depth or fleixble as the actual whammy pedal as that is its sole purpose.I own a whammy and its really fun for those ratm and audioslave songs but i dont use it for alot for other things.

I would go with the boss as it has a ton of different effects and settings.I own quite a few boss pedals and i enjoy them alot where this unit has them all in one casing plus the wah and whammy albeit on a more limited basis.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Pretty much what sfx said.

The whammy on the boss wont be as in depth or fleixble as the actual whammy pedal as that is its sole purpose.I own a whammy and its really fun for those ratm and audioslave songs but i dont use it for alot for other things.

Yeah. The biggest thing about the Whammy is that is is somewhat of a one trick pony. That being said, it's actually a fairly versatile pedal that can be useful for a lot more than just the Octave shifting, but it is a very difficult pedal to learn to use effectively and is a bit limited unless you get an external MIDI footboard to switch patches.

The biggest for me is imitating pedal steel sounds on guitar using the 5th -> 6th and 2nd -> 3rd harmony settings, but like I said, it takes a bit to learn to do things like that effectively.

The octave harmonies (not the plain pitching, but the one in the Harmony group) is also useful since it is basically a simple octave pedal type sound that can be switched from octave down to octave up in real time.

And of course the detune function is always useful in almost any situation, particularly for doubling effects.

It's definitely a pedal that does a lot more than it is given credit for, but it does take time to really use it to its full potential and like I said, you really olwould benefit from an external MIDI foot controller for changing patches in real time.

As far as the ME-25, I'm not a fan of compact design at the expense of easy control via footswitch (being able to easily turn anything on an off), so I would recommend the ME-80 if you want to go with Boss or even a used ME-70. Similar price to the ME-25, but with better footswitching and dedicated knobs for each effect section rather than sharing a knob for everything.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.