I went into my local GC the other day because im in the hunt for a new amp. I saw that they had one of these in the used section and it caught my eye. I was going to try it out but it wasnt hooked up at the time and they were about to close so I didn't want to cause a hassle.

I started doing some research and I found out that they are actually really good amps, for classic rock that is. Every review I see has everyone raving about this amp to get the old school rock n roll tone, which is all fine and dandy, but not helpful to me.

Originally I was on the hunt for an Orange either Rockerverb 50 or a TH-30. But I know I've heard of pop punk bands using old school Marshalls to get their tones and I figured I would ask around. Anybody have any experience with this amp?

Bands I'm into are The Story So Far, State Champs, Four Years Strong, A Day To Remember, etc.
Which JMP is it? the JMP 2203 is exactly like the JCM800 and it will get a 90's pop punk tone with a boost like a tubescreamer to push the front of the amp.

If it is a NMV JMP (non master volume) then I'd pass.

For the bands you listed, I'd look a something a bit more modern voiced like a Mesa recto, marshall JCM900 SL-X, Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100, VHT putbull
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I can't remember off the top of my head if it had a master volume or not, I'm going to go look again today. Thanks for the quick input!
Quote by MattBrockway
I can't remember off the top of my head if it had a master volume or not, I'm going to go look again today. Thanks for the quick input!

Yeah the NMV JMP are nice, but to get crunch it has to be cranked wide open. but remember if it is the JMP2203/2204 (one is 100 watts the other 50 watts) it will do classic rock at best on its own. the shop should let you use an OD for a boost while you test it.

set the OD pedal like this for a boost: volume max, gain off, tone to your taste.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
alright, if i see someone using a marshall for pop, im going to walk up onstage and rip the tubes out. just get a vox.
I'd definitely get a Rockerverb. I have one and while I think FYS use rectos a ton, I absolutely love my Orange for that kind of stuff.
if that 77 JMP is a reasonable price I'd snatch it up for sure. Those things are awesome and will only gain value as years go by. NMV or not, I'd still get it.
Quote by DeadHeart7
alright, if i see someone using a marshall for pop, im going to walk up onstage and rip the tubes out. just get a vox.

Then they'd kick your pansy Vox using ass.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Then they'd kick your pansy Vox using ass.

And then hang it up using a very large safety pin.
Quote by dspellman
And then hang it up using a very large safety pin.

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mesa Rectifiers and Marshall DSLs are THE amps to have for pop punk. Optimally blended.

Orange Rockers and Thunders and Peavey 6505s will work perfectly too. It's largely preference.

Also check out Blackstar Series One stuff. But don't buy new cause Blackstar is dildoes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How much do you like FYS tone? That is ALL JCM800. Personally, I think they are the best out of the bands listed in terms of tone. If it's a MV JMP (2203 or 2204, preferably) grab it, boost it, and play that ****er loud. It'll sound tits.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
How much do you like FYS tone? That is ALL JCM800. Personally, I think they are the best out of the bands listed in terms of tone. If it's a MV JMP (2203 or 2204, preferably) grab it, boost it, and play that ****er loud. It'll sound tits.

FYS tours with Orange amps, at least they recently did. Anything you listed will work. A good Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Peavey, JCA, will be able to handle of that in spades, it comes down to preference, cost, and availability.

The JCM DSL2000 are known for being great all around amps, and they can definitely handle pop punk on the crunch and lead settings. Especially with a boost, which isn't even always necessary. I find Marshalls, Oranges, and JCA to be super satisfying for that nice saturated sound with a good edge. They all come in at different price points, so again, the amount of money you want to spend plays a huge factor.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
^ That

My Jet City JCA50H worked great in my old pop/punk band. I do believe my Rockerverb 50 mk1 would also kill it.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by diabolical
It's pop punk anyway, who cares? Seriously, it's not like these sounds are so awesome, any half decent amp will do if an overdrive in front.

I like 90's punk/pop-punk bands like Lagwagon,NOFX,ect and the gear is quite important to the sound actually.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Katsock
FYS tours with Orange amps, at least they recently did. Anything you listed will work. A good Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Peavey, JCA, will be able to handle of that in spades, it comes down to preference, cost, and availability.

The JCM DSL2000 are known for being great all around amps, and they can definitely handle pop punk on the crunch and lead settings. Especially with a boost, which isn't even always necessary. I find Marshalls, Oranges, and JCA to be super satisfying for that nice saturated sound with a good edge. They all come in at different price points, so again, the amount of money you want to spend plays a huge factor.

I know in the studio they use 800s for most the stuff, or they are lying in their interviews. Live is a different story, I tend to not really consider that because the tone most people hear and enjoy is what's on the record.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I know in the studio they use 800s for most the stuff, or they are lying in their interviews. Live is a different story, I tend to not really consider that because the tone most people hear and enjoy is what's on the record.

+1
very few bands can sound just like their recordings because of all the studio tricks producers do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ A good point.

On occasion you hear isolated guitar on their albums, and even though you know it's been polished, there are quite a few times when I have just listened and been like "Mmmmmm old Marshall"

The heart is still there, even if it's been sweetened up a bit.