Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new bass. I'm a recording type of guy who started with a guitar and now has been playing bass for couple of years as well. I recently tuned couple of my guitars to D-standard and I'm looking for a bass with that tuning in mind. Easy option would be down tuning a 4-string. I play several styles of music. The kind of music I mostly like to make is proggy hard rock.

Now I started thinking the option of a 5-stringer. I could do anything from standard tuning to down tuned stuff without changing the tuning or the instrument. I'm also interested in the idea of extended range; when timed right, those low register licks could have a powerful effect even in "standard tuning" songs.

Now, I would love to hear your opinions, thoughts and most of all experiences with this 5-stringed beast especially when it comes to genres outside of down tuned metal. Do you benefit from the extended range a lot? (might be a dumb question) Did you have to heavily adapt your style? Any information would be helpful.
I wouldn't recommend using extended range to replace a different tuning but I certainly would recommend an extended range bass anyway. I've used 4 strings in every single band that hasn't been in standard tuning because it works out a lot easier for transferring riffs between instrument but that low B string is still pretty invaluable. Why not get a 5 string and tune it ADGCF?

When you're using the 5th string as a low B (rather than high C) there's no change in technique at all unless you're used to a much wider strings spacing; that shouldn't be a problem for you though.

If you've got a budget in mind then we can suggest a few basses. If it's just for studio and home stuff I recommend the 5 string Squier Jazz or Precision.
Thanks for reply!

Very helpful! Tuning a 5 string to ADGCF is indeed a considerable option. I have been looking some of the lower end Warwick Corvettes. I loved the 4-string version when I briefly tested one. There's a 5-string version as well, which is probably the maximum I'm willing to spend budget-wise. Right now it would be mainly for recording and a bit later maybe some gigging as well.
If you're talking about the Warwick Pro Series Corvette then that's a pretty healthy budget. They're fantastic basses but it may pay off to take in all the options.
you could always affix a d-tuner
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Drop tunerswould be a bit impractical for D standard.

That Corvette $$ is pretty amazing. I had the German model a few years back and it's all the versatility you could want. You have to be kkay with active electronics though.
cheaper than a 5 string to reach down 1 whole step
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
you could always affix a d-tuner

I'm going to DROP D!!!!
MUHUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Thank you all.

I actually decided to go with the corvette $$5. I'll mess around with it when I get it and decide wether I down tune it or keep it standard. Down tuning my four string is an option as well. Well see.
Last edited by Akkeli at Jul 27, 2015,