Hi I just wanted some of you guys' opinions on changing a '59 and SH11 (neck and bridge respectively) into probably SH2 and SH4, or possibly John Petrucci's pickup set up, I have no idea what to choose at this moment. I think the SH4 is great but I don't really know if there's that much of a difference. Tips?

(I know I'm flooding the forums LOL)

TL;DR:

I have a '59 and on SH11.
I want to change them to possibly an SH2 and SH4.
or a Crunchlab and Liquifier, mostly play rock/metal OR.

To be honest I could also keep the '59 since I think it sounds good but it has the chrome plate cover on it, is there any way I could remove that? Other than that convince me why I should choose the SH2&4 over the CL and Liquifier.
Last edited by Konohana at Jul 24, 2015,
I haven't tried the crunchlab and liquifire

not sure it'd really be worth changing from the custom custom and '59 to the jb and '59. they don't sound identical but they're both probably in the same ballpark.

i think you can remove the cover but I haven't done it myself. if you search in the forums here or on google you might find a guide to doing it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried the crunchlab and liquifire

not sure it'd really be worth changing from the custom custom and '59 to the jb and '59. they don't sound identical but they're both probably in the same ballpark.

i think you can remove the cover but I haven't done it myself. if you search in the forums here or on google you might find a guide to doing it.

IMO the custom custom sounds awful, I tried working it with different amp settings and it just doesn't sound right. I can settle with keeping the '59 because it sounds GOOD. The SH11 just doesn't sound good to me.
Quote by frecebutmito
Sh6 bridge and sh2 neck? it could work

So you suggest ditching the 59? I have a sh6 on my H/S/S Strat and it is indeed a good pickup.
Quote by Konohana
So you suggest ditching the 59? I have a sh6 on my H/S/S Strat and it is indeed a good pickup.

Yes,indeed.Matter of fact the SH6 distortions are the best I've ever heard so far.But,the SH6 has a extremely high output,so if you want clean tones you should combine it with a pickup like the jazz sh2 or the '59 sh1.
whats your amp?
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by frecebutmito
Yes,indeed.Matter of fact the SH6 distortions are the best I've ever heard so far.But,the SH6 has a extremely high output,so if you want clean tones you should combine it with a pickup like the jazz sh2 or the '59 sh1.

I already have the '59 SH-1, and I've heard the SH6 and I agree it's a good pickup. So then the question now turns into the SH-6 vs the SH-4, I've never tried out an SH-4 before, so I have no idea. I heard it's more versatile than the SH-6.

Quote by romeozdistress
whats your amp?

ATM I'm just using a boss multi effects pedal straight to headphones (ATH-m50x's).
Well,don't mind for the pickups if you don't have a amp.BTW Sh4 it's a very versatile pickup,but the distortion are not as good as the SD distortion's.If you play rock/metal you should try the SH6 instead of the SH4.
The difference in tone is noticeable easily even if I'm not running an amp.
Quote by Konohana
The difference in tone is noticeable easily even if I'm not running an amp.

would be helpful to know your amp. dropping nearly $200 on pickups might not be the answer if youre amp isnt that great. just an idea.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Yeah I think the SH6 is actually amazing. The SH4 from what I hear right now through like 20 youtube videos sounds very muddy compared to the sh6, but the SH4 has good cleans without a doubt. I think I'll settle for the SH6. Thanks guys.
Quote by frecebutmito

I agree, I have a Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of my C-1 Classic and it makes it super versatile. Best of both worlds.
so whats your amp?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
What amp are you using?

Unless you prove otherwise, its reasonable to assume that it sucks which is why you're not telling us.

Sorry to sound like a presumptuous jerk, but such is so often the case with so many kids talking about what signature pickups they want to put in their guitar to improve their tone. They're either reluctant to admit to what amp they're using because they know that's the real problem, or flat-out deny that their Marshall MG practice amp sucks.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 25, 2015,
Guys he has already said:

Quote by Konohana
ATM I'm just using a boss multi effects pedal straight to headphones (ATH-m50x's).

Honestly if you are running into an FX pedal and headphones I would seriously reconsider upgrading the pickups. Yes there may be an audible difference between the various guitars you have, that doesn't mean a pickup upgrade is a good idea.

I occasionally use Waves GTR3 through headphones on my computer to practice when it's late at night and I can also hear a difference between my guitars and pickups. That doesn't mean that Waves GTR3 sounds good. It also doesn't mean that a pickup upgrade is going to be worth the money.
Quote by Random3 at #33516715
Guys he has already said:

Fair enough.

But yeah, TS needs to set his priorities straight. New pickups are never going to substitute for a crap amp or a crap multi-effects pedal no matter how well pickup companies market their products.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 25, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But yeah, TS needs to set his priorities straight. New pickups are never going to substitute for a crap amp or a crap multi-effects pedal.

Agreed. TS, upgrading the pickups will make a difference, as to whether it is worth the cost of the pickups that is down to you. The reason we are advising against it is that the difference is going to FAR less noticeable through your rig than it would be through a decent amp, so in effect you are paying the same for a smaller upgrade.
Quote by Konohana
I already have the '59 SH-1, and I've heard the SH6 and I agree it's a good pickup. So then the question now turns into the SH-6 vs the SH-4, I've never tried out an SH-4 before, so I have no idea. I heard it's more versatile than the SH-6.

yeah the sh4 is kind of like a mellower, more versatile sh6. not as tight, and middier.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Konohana
I could also keep the '59 since I think it sounds good but it has the chrome plate cover on it, is there any way I could remove that?

Just pop the pickup out of the guitar, turn it over and on good quality pickups the cover is usually just held in place with a couple of blobs of solder, easy to break away with screwdriver, and pull the cover off. Beware, the pickups hidden under covers aren't as pretty as your average ones. I did it to my les paul custom and the pickups were a shoddy mess, luckily that suited the guitar perfectly. lol. I hate pickup covers almost as much as scratch plates.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
yeah save that $150 and put it toward a real amp. or at least a pod hd or something.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by crackerjack123
Just pop the pickup out of the guitar, turn it over and on good quality pickups the cover is usually just held in place with a couple of blobs of solder, easy to break away with screwdriver, and pull the cover off. Beware, the pickups hidden under covers aren't as pretty as your average ones. I did it to my les paul custom and the pickups were a shoddy mess, luckily that suited the guitar perfectly. lol. I hate pickup covers almost as much as scratch plates.

I don't hate the covers but the SH6 only comes with no cover LOL. Cover and no cover pickups on one guitar is sure to look stupid.
Quote by Konohana at #33517621
I don't hate the covers but the SH6 only comes with no cover LOL. Cover and no cover pickups on one guitar is sure to look stupid.

Trust me, it doesn't.

But seriously, why are you still talking about pickups here? It's obvious that there is a much more pressing issue with your setup other than pickups. It's your multi-effects pedal. Bin it. Get something better.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by Konohana

I have a '59 and on SH11.
I want to change them to possibly an SH2 and SH4.
or a Crunchlab and Liquifier,
To be honest I could also keep the '59 since I think it sounds good but it has the chrome plate cover on it, is there any way I could remove that? .

1. You're not really upgrading -- you're "side" grading.
2. Pickups are almost the last thing you want to tweak AFTER you've got your guitar's rig, pedals, amp, etc. nearly perfect. It's a relatively expensive change that provides (usually) a very minor tweak.
3. Chrome covers can usually be removed. Usually requires a soldering iron.
im becoming quite the bandwagon junkie...ugh, carvin, avatar, WGS speakers, etc. who doesnt like to promote teh gear they like to use?

im thinking of buying carvin kiesel lithium pickups. apparelty really open and articulate for gain but also split well, good cleans, etc.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by crackerjack123
Beware, the pickups hidden under covers aren't as pretty as your average ones. I did it to my les paul custom and the pickups were a shoddy mess,

Wax potting? I'm guessing that's what it is. That's deliberate.

Quote by dspellman
1. You're not really upgrading -- you're "side" grading.

+1

That's not to say some people might not prefer one to the other... but objectively you're not really getting anything which is higher quality. And if your current pickups sound crap (they're some of duncan's better ones IMO), there's a fair chance the pickups aren't really to blame.

Basically as T00DEEPBLUE said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Wax potting? I'm guessing that's what it is. That's deliberate.

Nope, they weren't potted, it was a 76 custom, I don't think they bothered potting much back then. The black tape around the windings was just nastily finished with sticky edges visible that within about 2 weeks were caked in dust. Still sounded fine through my jcm800 though. lol.

It's odd, when I was younger I couldn't give a toss what my guitars looked like, now I'm older (old) I like to keep them looking nice.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
oh ok. yeah back in the day maybe that is how it happened

maybe these days they do care how they look? i never took them off but i remember hearing people say that the covered humbuckers in the edwards les pauls were zebra underneath in case you wanted to take the covers off.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by crackerjack123
Nope, they weren't potted, it was a 76 custom, I don't think they bothered potting much back then.

Bad guess. Not only were they potting pickups long before that, but in the very early 70's they were even potting in epoxy.
^ In my defence, I wasn't born.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?