really cool guitars. i'm curious as to how much they weigh. from what i've read on the internet, the ballpark weight is around 8.5-9 lbs. anybody wanna give their two cents?
Quote by gambit1983
really cool guitars. i'm curious as to how much they weigh. from what i've read on the internet, the ballpark weight is around 8.5-9 lbs. anybody wanna give their two cents?

sure which model. they span from the agathis 200 to the mahogany and maple 3000.

the lightest one i've had was 9 pounds, the heaviest around 10.5. the lightest one i've ever heard of was a 7.5 pound SG-1500.

the lower level 200 guitars are pretty light though. it was my first real guitar.

they aren't generally regarded as light weight guitars.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks for the post..yeah i didnt think they were thought as light weight. 7.5 pounds would be awesome. could you tell me what you think of the necks? i would like something that is at least somewhat fast.
My SG2000 is what I would call very heavy. Haven't weighed it, but due to the similarities in the construction, expect it to weigh like a non-weight relieved Les Paul. As for the neck, on mine (which was brand new in 2011) the profile is rounded like a Fender C-shape but quite a bit thicker. Compared to my brother's 2014 Gibson LP Traditional it is thinner though...

Biggest difference from a Gibson is probably the pickups on an SG1000/2000. High output and definitely no vintage voiced vibes from these.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
you think trying to shop for a sbg-1500 would be a good idea if I was looking for a lighter guitar?
I don't think you should even consider a Yamaha SG-model if weight is a concern for you. They're absolutely amazing guitars, well made and really nicely designed - but they were designed in the 70's in the midst of a 'weight equals sustain' craze and weigh in thereafter.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jul 27, 2015,
I had an SG1500 (1978 or so?) and it was really heavy, one reason I sold it. I believe these have a brass sustain block that adds to the weight. I cannot recall the weight of the SG1500, but 8.5-10 lbs sounds right.

I am a big fan of older Yamahas, and I personally love the SA series from around the same time frame, but semi-hollow, a bit lighter.
Bernie Sanders for President!