I am looking at a firebird VII with the lyre/maestro trem system. i had my fair share of floating tremolos and although the one on my jagurillo stays in tune okay my js100 has made me weary of floating trems, is there anyway you could block the tremolo or buy a locking TOM bridge.
Quote by jonnyspace50
I am looking at a firebird VII with the lyre/maestro trem system. i had my fair share of floating tremolos and although the one on my jagurillo stays in tune okay my js100 has made me weary of floating trems, is there anyway you could block the tremolo or buy a locking TOM bridge.

you don't really need to. just take the bar off. it's not really a floating trem and isn't similar to fender style at all. most guys just take off the bar and leave it at that.
To truly "block" a Gibson Maestro tremolo, you'd have to replace it, since the whole unit moves outside of any confines (tremolo cavity in the guitar). But as others have said, you could just take the arm off and that should work pretty well. A lot of people do it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You don’t even need to take the arm off, just fold it up and don’t use it. I’ve seen plenty of bands get through shows with no trouble by just not touching the arm.

Replacing it with a TOM bridge is also an option. But pay a luthier with a drill press to do it—if you put those holes in the wrong place your guitar turns into a $200 Craiglist special.
Quote by monwobobbo
you don't really need to. just take the bar off. it's not really a floating trem and isn't similar to fender style at all. most guys just take off the bar and leave it at that.

The bridge on my Fender is a jaguar bridge btw. anyway, wont dropping one string to d, detune the whole system
Quote by jpnyc
You don’t even need to take the arm off, just fold it up and don’t use it. I’ve seen plenty of bands get through shows with no trouble by just not touching the arm.

Replacing it with a TOM bridge is also an option. But pay a luthier with a drill press to do it—if you put those holes in the wrong place your guitar turns into a $200 Craiglist special.

i don't know what you mean by TOM (tune o' matic) bridge, it already would have one the maistro goes on as a tailpiece. did you by any chance mean wraparound bridge or TOM and Stop bar