Hi guys, i have been tinkering with my setup for a while, and I can never come close to the "Steve Vai" sound. i know i dont own a Gem, but im sure theres a way to get a sound near it.
This is my humble setup: http://imgur.com/a/3wXve . I dont know what exactly to ask, but I do know i wanna get near the "Steve Vai" sound and add my own flavors afterwards. Thanks for your time.

With much respect,
Hrpb77
Quote by hrpb77
Hi guys, i have been tinkering with my setup for a while, and I can never come close to the "Steve Vai" sound. i know i dont own a Gem, but im sure theres a way to get a sound near it.
This is my humble setup: http://imgur.com/a/3wXve . I dont know what exactly to ask, but I do know i wanna get near the "Steve Vai" sound and add my own flavors afterwards. Thanks for your time.

With much respect,
Hrpb77

listing your gear would be more helpful

ok got link to work. dude you need a way better amp. a beginners amp like you have just isn't up to delivering what you want. steve has a fairly complex rig so duplicating his sounds on the cheap like that isn't gonna happen. guitar with floyd would help as well.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 25, 2015,
I can't click that link so I don't know what gear we are talking about here, but you aren't going to be able to simply adjust the EQ and sound like Vai.

More so than a lot of guitarists, Vai has a pretty complex rig which you are not going to get close to unless you have the right gear. Even if you had the same amp and guitar as Vai, you are still missing the 20 or so pedals that he runs into the amp.

And as Monwobobbo said, get a Floyd if you want to start learning his techniques.
does your multi-fx have amp models? I agree your kit is hardly ideal, but you should be able to get something which is at least vaguely passable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
To be honest with you, chasing the tone of Steve Vai with the amp and multi-effects pedal you have will be nearly impossible. You might be able to get an approximation of the tone but really I would look into replacing your amp with a good modeller amp such as a Fender Mustang. With the Mustang, you should be able to download a decent Steve Vai patch that will sound better to you than your current setup.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!