Hey guys,

So lately my uncle just found this guitar lying by the side of a trash can. It came without its bridge and basically stringless and useless. It has a metal part in front of what used to be the neck saying YAMAHHA. It says that apparently it is a "Fender" but I really have doubts that it is authentic. I was hoping somebody here could help me identify this guitar if it is indeed genuine or a fake and if so what model it is? I'm pretty much clueless here!

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by manishx7 at Jul 27, 2015,
It's got the model # in the sound hole? Easy enough to Google. Appears to be genuine. Looks very interesting.
I love finds like this. I came across a Yamaha FG 200 the same way with an irretrievably bent neck. I put a steel cable with a turnbuckle on it from the headstock to the heel. It's the best playing, best sounding acoustic out of the 4 I have.
Way back in the late 50's and possibly early 60's, PBS had a Sunday morning show called, "What in the World". They would put archaeological artifacts in front of a panel of "experts", who would then duke it out over the course of a half hour, (hour maybe?), to see who could come closest to guessing what the object actually was.

I'm not sure why, (or at least I'm not saying), this guitar caused me to flash back to a half century ago. It just did.

My only observation is wondering if that is a mahogany top, or just a really dark stain. I can't tell from the photos

As for that TV show, it's so old, there's nothing on the internet about it!

What is that white thing behind the sound hole, a pickup?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 31, 2015,
Quote by skido13
It's got the model # in the sound hole? Easy enough to Google. Appears to be genuine. Looks very interesting.
I love finds like this. I came across a Yamaha FG 200 the same way with an irretrievably bent neck. I put a steel cable with a turnbuckle on it from the headstock to the heel. It's the best playing, best sounding acoustic out of the 4 I have.

Hey. thanks for the reply, it doesn't even have a model # O.O I kid you not! I'm just so concerned why is there a YAMAHA pick up before the bridge? Has fender ever done that before? hahah that is what baffles me and the weirdest part it has a serial number on the headstock!
Quote by Captaincranky
Way back in the late 50's and possibly early 60's, PBS had a Sunday morning show called, "What in the World". They would put archaeological artifacts in front of a panel of "experts", who would then duke it out over the course of a half hour, (hour maybe?), to see who could come closest to guessing what the object actually was.

I'm not sure why, (or at least I'm not saying), this guitar caused me to flash back to a half century ago. It just did.

My only observation is wondering if that is a mahogany top, or just a really dark stain. I can't tell from the photos

As for that TV show, it's so old, there's nothing on the internet about it!

What is that white thing behind the sound hole, a pickup?

woah you bringing me wayyy back xD hahah Its a mahagony top! I could send you cleared pics if yoou need but this is crazy cuz theres no one out there who can put well a model to this >.<
Quote by manishx7
woah you bringing me wayyy back xD hahah Its a mahagony top! I could send you cleared pics if yoou need but this is crazy cuz theres no one out there who can put well a model to this >.<
No, we're good. I will take your word for the fact it's mahogany.

Dunno anything about the guitar though. Sorry.

However, the headstock shape is going to be your friend, with respect to establishing the guitar's vintage. It looks nothing like their offerings today.

Try here: http://www.jedistar.com/ for info on old guitars, although I can't guarantee yours will be in their archives.

I hate to be the guy who farts in church here, but there's an awful lot of top wood missing, where the bridge used to be..
I have at least one very old guitar (Silvertone F hole - also a number that can be seen through the top f hole))with the number on the headstock back, that's the number to research.
Anyone could have added an aftermarket pickup.
What's the full text on the label?
The saddle and bridge are completely gone? Maybe get a tailpiece and you can use anything for a bridge just to get it playing to see if it's usable.
Last edited by skido13 at Aug 18, 2015,
hey guys cheers for the reply as of now I am gonna get it checked out by a local luthier here in my country. Thanks for all the help though!