EDIT: Forgot to mention price - I'm hoping $100 but I guess realistically under $200

As you guys probably know I got a Mesa Mini head which has left me with a bit of a dilemma as the smallest I have is a 2x12 which is not very light.

I play it through a Class5 combo speaker which can be disconnected from the amp and serve as extension but if you've lifted the Class5 you'd know why I am looking for another option

I also want to experiment with speakers for different sound so I'm thinking could swap a few of these until I find what I like.

I have a 4x12 which sounds great but I can't lug that around as much as I used to.

So, I have a few Greenbacks laying around and also a pair of Eminence speakers (I think Legends although they were bought before the fancy coloring and other gimmicks they started putting on their speakers of late).

that I took out of a cab mod I did a while back and now sold...so I'm curious if you know what's out there as far as speakerless cabs go, and what you've tried.
I am not opposed to getting a factory speaker cab and gutting it and putting one of mine in either. Or maybe just DYI....not opposed to that either.

I don't want to put too much money in it though as I already have the two big lugs 2x12 and 4x12 for recording and serious gigs. This would be more like a compact rig for rehearsal and occasional recording session so I'd like it to sound as good as possible.

Looks are important as well, trying to get something that works with Mesa Mini look, so that'd be black tolex I guess.

So far I've been looking at this Seismic Audio cab although price seems bit steep for just an empty cab:
http://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-SPEAKER-Speakerless-Cabinet/dp/B0044FSMZC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_267_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WP9JWMYRVWTDZSNQ9SC

Don't know any other ones...

About the ones with cab...
This also looks good (sadly discontinued):
Jet City JCA12XS
http://www.zzounds.com/item--JETJCA12XS

This:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet-100w/h76845#productDetail

This:
Laney IRT ext. cab
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNYIRT112

I am not opposed to DYI or maybe getting one barewood and adding tolex later.
Last edited by diabolical at Jul 25, 2015,
Pretty sure you can buy something from avatar or from whitebox speakerless, and in several different configurations/tolexes of your choice. I have a whitebox cab (bought it with V30s though) and I really like it.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Wow that's more expensive than I remember, and you were looking at the 1x12s? I will say that if you're looking for quality at a reasonable (depends on what your definition of reasonable is, I guess) price, that'd be hard to beat. It'd be worth saving for. You could also keep an eye out for one used, which will not only be cheaper, but also come with more speakers you can experiment with. I've seen avatar 2x12s go for as low as like 175, though they're typically around 250. So if you're vigilant enough you'd probably be able to pick up a 1x12 used for the amount you're looking to spend.

IME, the Jet City cabs have pretty solid construction, btw. Assuming they haven't cheaped out on the build of their cabs since I owned one. I think that one you linked on musicians friend would probably look good with the Mini as well. I have zero experience with that other stuff you linked though.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Cruise Craigslist for a used 1x12 ext cab. I see them often in LA for $100 or loaded with a really nice EVM12 for $250. I sold an Avatar 112 with Celestion G12H30 in like new cond. recently for $200.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Funny things speaker cabs. If you've got them you can get next to nothing if you try to sell them....but if you want to buy some they seem extortionate. That said, as suggested, try ebay. You already have the speakers so you can pretty much by anything provided it has a good solid box.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Cruise Craigslist for a used 1x12 ext cab. I see them often in LA for $100 or loaded with a really nice EVM12 for $250. I sold an Avatar 112 with Celestion G12H30 in like new cond. recently for $200.

Build or buy a Thiele cabinet to go with the EVM-12L. You can still find a used one (200 or 300W) from $100-150.
Buy used. Houston’s population is high enough that if you’re patient you can get a nice plywood 2x12 or 4x12 for around $200 on Craigslist. Even if the speakers are shit you’ll still sav enough on the cab to pay for new speakers. Look for people selling Crate cabinets and research the model number to see if it’s a good one. Crate is so unpopular that I’ve seen plywood 4x12s with V30s sell used for $150. Carvin stuff is pretty popular in the Southwest and the resale value is shit, so look at those, too.
Quote by Ippon
Build or buy a Thiele cabinet to go with the EVM-12L. You can still find a used one (200 or 300W) from $100-150.

Don't bother with tolex. Use Duratex (from Acrytech) and roll it on. The texture is very much like Tolex, but it doesn't rip/tear and dings are quickly and easily fixed.

Plans for the Mesa Thiele cabinet:

http://www.carltonguitars.com.au/resources/docs/TL806_builders_plans.pdf

Builder's plans for the EV TL806 are what Mesa used to produce their cabinet, and these plans are freely available on the web at a number of different locations. The recommended speaker, of course, is the EV-L, but an Eminence Delta ProA works perfectly (and is less expensive).
well, i hate you see you buy a mesa head and cheap out on the cab. for the love of god tell me your putting a premium speaker in it.

but check out this guy

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/unfinished-cabs.html

200-300 for a 1x12, quality hardwood construction finished, or like 150-200 unfinished. you can very easily buy some tung oil, varnish etc, and with a 6 pack and about a few days wait time have a beautiful finished cab do it yourself.

i personally am on a kick of 1x12 cabs with an attenuated eminence reighmaker FDM speaker. makes a great combo for small gigs, home playing and a huge variance on sound / tone / headroom especially for low wattage amps. you can get those tubes cooking or bump up to 101 SPL for "louder than normal" playing (since most speakers are about 98 SPL, helps give you a jump in volume, or down to 91...which is QUIET compared to 98).

have to suggest a WGS speaker. 70-80 range but worth it.

_____

avatar is not budget brand. is quality stuff! its just not super high end like buying a marshall 1960, mesa, bogner cab which you literally need to start taking out a bank loan for, and its not normal / mid budget low end like something you typically out of guitar center, such as jet city or egnater which are good working mans cabs but are really lower end stuff with slapped on nice tolex and a brand name, mark up some more $$$. but for what you pay for avatar is really hard to beat for the quality especially with the eminence they provide, literally 50% of retail prices on their speakers. that IS amazing.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 26, 2015,
It's. A. Wooden. Box.

There's no magic formula. Buy a single piece of good plywood for $50 and build a couple of 1x12's

Saw, drill, glue, screw, done. Cover as desired.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
agree to disagree.

i do agree that paying am arm and a leg for one is crazy. i mean top end brand name cabs like bogner, heck they may charge nearly 1000 for one. i dont think thats right.

however, good quality birch hardwood is more expensive for raw material. it just is. good quality dovetail joints, etc cost more to do and are stronger. good quality wire, jacks, corner ends, etc are more expensive. top end speakers are REALLY expensive. and probably the most relevant, the geometry, closted back / larger versus smaller / number of speakers, etc all play a part.

the cab and type of speaker you have hasa massive amount impact on your tone and overall VOLUME as any other thing in your rig, including your amp.

if i had to choose, i would rather invest in good speakers over a cab. if you are going to cheap out on the cab, at least get good speakers. but i WOULD NOT but craptastic speakers in a top end cab. thats like whip cream on a hot dog.

its the magic of diminishing returns. at some point you hit a level where percieved value begins declining. i think any much past avatar is going to be really hard to tell. but i beg to differ you your telling me to put a avatar with x4 celestion speakers against a seismic audio with budget brand speakers and tell me there isnt a difference.

personally, i played through a bugera 2x12 and it was the thinnest, tinniest sound ive ever had. versus my avatar 2x12 with WGS speakers, it was like playing through a different rig. MEAT. its whats for dinner.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
3/4 x 4 x 8 birch plywood runs about $50 a sheet, dovetail joints are pretty but add no structural integrity over a well glued and screwed butt joint ( and you cover them up anyway), wire (even good wire) is cheap, as are good corners.

Put any speaker in it you want, build it in any geometry you want, it's still just a wooden box.

Labor and logo are where the costs come in, and one can be provided by yourself and the other is for suckers.

I do agree that good speakers are the ticket.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 26, 2015,
EarCandy makes empty cabs that you could potentially get for under $200. Panama Guitars makes some nice cabs for cheap WITH speakers called the Boca series. But you'll have to strip away at hot glue after you take the baffle screws out. Very anti-user serviceable. Otherwise, just keep checking craigslist, eBay, Reverb, etc...
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by ikey_

however, good quality birch hardwood is more expensive for raw material. it just is. good quality dovetail joints, etc cost more to do and are stronger. good quality wire, jacks, corner ends, etc are more expensive.

Birch ply isn't particularly expensive, but it seems to be the material of choice for guitar cabinets. Dovetail joints are absolutely unnecessary, but pretty. A simple glued cabinet (use Loctite Premium PL) joint will be stronger than the wood it's holding together.

Go to Speakerhardware.com and price 16 AWG wire, jacks, corners. And when you get all done, won't someone *please* tell me how the fancy logo folks get away charging what they do.

Speakers tend to be the common denominator as well. There's at least one brand that's claiming that its Vintage 30's are better (limited run, blah blah). And it's all bolshoi.

Cabinet sizes vary, but there's nothing that says that one is better than the others; just different. Because none of them have been optimized for the specific speakers that are in them (not if you can order the same cabinet with different speakers as an option, they ain't) except perhaps for the Mesa Thiele, which has always been optimized for the EV-L.

Pro Audio builders have long ago given up on Tolex (lots of bass cabinet manufacturers have as well) because it just doesn't make much sense and hasn't for a very long time. Other coatings (rubberized paints like Duratex, tough as nails coatings like LineX) make much more sense and can be sourced in a ton of colors. They don't rip, tear, etc. and are far easier to fix when something scratches the holy hell out of them.

In short. you can build or buy with a lot less expense than buying top of the market stuff. And it WILL be just as good. Maybe better.
seriously? 2 corners glued together be stronger than dovtail joint (or some other joint), perhaps plus glue, with steel corners screwed on?

i cant beleive that versus flat surface to flat surface, 90 degree angles, screws ansd of course corners.

that doenst make sense. flat to flat 90 degree, slap some glue on it is straight out of kindergarden. its the, "im drunk and i have 10 minutes to build a box" way of doing something. find a a custom carpenter / custom furniture maker than builds thing this way. i'll be waiting...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by dspellman
Dovetail joints are absolutely unnecessary, but pretty.

Necessary depends on what you want to do with the cabinet. If you’re going to gig with it for the next five years dovetail joints are probably a good thing.
Quote by ikey_
seriously? 2 corners glued together be stronger than dovtail joint (or some other joint), perhaps plus glue, with steel corners screwed on?

i cant beleive that versus flat surface to flat surface, 90 degree angles, screws ansd of course corners.

that doenst make sense. flat to flat 90 degree, slap some glue on it is straight out of kindergarden. its the, "im drunk and i have 10 minutes to build a box" way of doing something. find a a custom carpenter / custom furniture maker than builds thing this way. i'll be waiting...

Modern glue is stronger than the wood it joins and a corner reinforced butt joint, glued and screwed, will withstand far more than any cab will require.

Custom cabinetry is about pretty, guitar cabs are not, they get covered with tolex or rubber paint.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by ikey_

I know, I know.
Here's the deal. There's a cabinet builder out there who swears on a stack of bibles that his corners (whatever the method is, I've forgotten) are absolutely the strongest there are. And he's probably right. To prove it, he's driven his MONSTER pickup truck (I dunno how many tons it is) over those corners, and they're good as new.

Thing is, the entire rest of the cabinet is destroyed. Kindling. Toothpicks. That is an awesome truck. And the point is that the joins should be stronger than the material they're joining, but overkill does no one any good.

Instead, I'll refer you to some custom speaker cabinet builders:

http://www.greenboy.us/#builders

These guys are custom building cabinets in a wide variety of sizes. They're not, strictly speaking, 30W-100W guitar cabs. Instead, they're PA-style full-range enclosures designed to handle serious bass. These cabinets are handling 900W each and up, and they're moving tremendous amounts of air. The cabinets are specially designed with internal bracing to be as stiff as possible, so as not to waste vast amounts of amplfier power "oilcanning." And they're built with Loctite Premium PL (and a few brads, usually, to hold the boards in place while the PL is curing). We've seen bass cabinets actually blow apart when over-speakered and over-powered. So you should ask these guys any questions you like about cabinet construction.

I recently retired a pair of 2x12s, about 3.5 cubic feet each with a pair of 4" diameter x 4" deep "pipe" ports and a pair of tweeters. The speakers were Eminence Delta ProAs, and the cabinets were routinely fed up to 750W apiece (and the ports tuned them down to 52HZ). The cabinets were constructed of flat panels glued (and bradded) together with Loctite Premium PL. They were coated with LineX. After a couple of years of constant use and travel, I bought fEARless and fEARful cabinets to replace them (they weighed a TON, what with the 3/4" plywood and the godawful heavy magnets on those Eminence speakers). The new cabinets are much lighter (neo based speakers, lighter weight materials, smarter construction). The joke was that everything on the truck bowed to and cowered before those brutal 2x12s, and that securing them was the best way to ensure that OTHER cabinets weren't damaged.

Trust me, the glued panels are just fine. And if you don't trust me, talk to those custom cabinet builders and ask them.
Quote by jpnyc
Necessary depends on what you want to do with the cabinet. If you’re going to gig with it for the next five years dovetail joints are probably a good thing.

Read the above. ^^^^
This was done with butt joints : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230
Didn't need no dovetail joints.
Never gigged with it but did a shitload of jam sessions and some house parties.
Glued and Screwed.
I mentioned that I have 2 Greenbacks and 2 Eminence speakers just sitting around so as long as the enclosure is good I'm OK.
So far by the looks of it Jet City 1x12 seems the best option. I'll gut the speaker out.

BTW - I have 4x12 and 2x12 already but they're too big.
Dovetail joints are pretty for fine carpentry but unnecessary on a speaker box that will be covered. Glued and screwed is the method most often used for excellent results. Fast but strong is good.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
wait wait....

i just checked those links. and this guys link

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230

first off those are no slack *ss construction. these things look like they have so much wood on them its enough for 2 cabs. that codemonk link it looks like he built so many braces into it and wood screws evert inch...of course these things are bullet proof!

and the FEARless cabs are like 1100 for a 112 wedge!?!?!?!?!

okay i have to agree with you when you show me something so rediculously over-engineered it looks like it could be thrown out of a helicopter in afganistan. i think what i had in mind was a bit more "typical"...you know, like few hundred dollar range? standard stuff you see in guitar center? at least for the scope of this conversation....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
you cant check these links and tell me thats not really solid work and design. AND THE PRICE POINT - meaning stuff most normal people would pay, even for cheap stuff you may find in guitar center from XYZ brand selling an average 2x12 cab with their amp products. whatever the debate, this type of construction is good enough for me!

and, for an uncovered cab, straight wood, which is probably less "road" worthy and more "pleasing to my wife in the living room" worthy, i think this type of construction suits way way more.

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/cab_construction.html

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/ported-cabs.html

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/unfinished-cabs.html

http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/Head-cabs---combo-cabs.html
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by ikey_
wait wait....

i just checked those links. and this guys link

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230

first off those are no slack *ss construction. these things look like they have so much wood on them its enough for 2 cabs. that codemonk link it looks like he built so many braces into it and wood screws evert inch...of course these things are bullet proof!

and the FEARless cabs are like 1100 for a 112 wedge!?!?!?!?!

okay i have to agree with you when you show me something so rediculously over-engineered it looks like it could be thrown out of a helicopter in afganistan. i think what i had in mind was a bit more "typical"...you know, like few hundred dollar range? standard stuff you see in guitar center? at least for the scope of this conversation....

Braces front and back. And at the butt end joints.
1x2 furring strip boards ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Furring-Strip-Board-Common-1-in-x-2-in-x-8-ft-Actual-0-656-in-x-1-468-in-x-96-in-160954/100075477 ).
The one in the middle was to isolate the two speakers from each other.
The isolation part was recommended by Phil Starr here.
Not really intended as a brace.
And even with the speakers in it, its lighter than the head.
I like to build stuff that lasts so I do tend to over build stuff sometimes.
And I did make it extra deep.
But I'm happy with it.

Edit:
Talk of over-engineered?
I made a small addition to it that I never posted:

I played some rowdy bars back in the day.
That's what inspired the extra grill.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 27, 2015,
Build your own its easy...here is a recent build that I did for Blackstar HT-5 Metal that I picked up.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33552179#post33552179

and the first 4x12 that got me started..

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078649

**Also something that I do and is more from my Car Audio days is the rear baffle I cover in DynaMat. It kills the back wave some and really, I mean really tightens ups the bass and over all sound of the cab. If you get a change buy some and try it.
Last edited by theDogger at Aug 16, 2015,