So I am planning to get a squier bullet hss. I am also getting a fender mustang 1. Is the guitar/amp good for a beginner? I have played acoustic for 2 years btw. Trying to get a blues/jazz/hard rock sound.
For now, it's fine. The Bullets are kinda crap but hey, it's not unexpected at that price point.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by monwobobbo
look for a used Affinity series. the bullets are just crap.

+1 they aren't far off in price either if you look around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
id look for a standard series, they can be had for like $150 used.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd go at least with a Squier affinity - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar/h78850. It's not a huge amount more, and it's worth saving up the extra money to do; you won't regret it.

If you want my honest opinion, though, you'd ideally save up for this one - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-hsh-rosewood-fingerboard-electric-guitar?rNtt=standard%20stratocaster&index=18

The price is far from unreasonable, and eventually you can have the pickups, pots, and tuners swapped out to have a custom guitar that's worth way more than what you paid for it.

Don't even consider buying used unless you're comfortable enough in your knowledge of guitars to know what to look for on a second-hand instrument, or have someone to go with you who does. You're taking a massive risk, and potentially just throwing money at a salesman and hoping they're honest.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
whats your budget? whole thing, guitar / amp?

bullets are the quintesential "beginner electric". i had one to start. really, not bad. they will get you going. i dont think anybody would disagree that most people trade/ sell em off after a year (s) or so depending on how fast you progress and how much you play. for home bedroom use, not bad, especially if you dont know what you want or how to scan the use market for hidden jems.

as a more experience player, you may be able to have formed your own preferences and spot good / bad quality gear and construction, and be able to pick a used axe out of a lineup and find that super awesome jem at a low price. thats what i would do.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I'd avoid the Bullet, as others have said. Take a look at te Yamaha Pacifica; it's a bit more expensive, but it's worth the extra.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I'd go the Epiphone route if I were you, they're more dependable but I have never played a guitar that cheap honestly so I'm not too sure what the build quality on the cheaper Epiphones are. Don't just look at one specific type of guitar, research your options and choose what you think will be best for you!
No bullet. Look for used deals, you can find some affinitys or maybe even a classic vibe for around $150. Reverb is a good place to start looking
Quote by PiercedBand
I'd go the Epiphone route if I were you, they're more dependable but I have never played a guitar that cheap honestly so I'm not too sure what the build quality on the cheaper Epiphones are. Don't just look at one specific type of guitar, research your options and choose what you think will be best for you!

Nah. I'm an Epi fan, but below their Standard/Pro price bracket they can't be depended on to constitute a decent guitar. The rule of thumb I've often seen expressed on here concerning Epis is that if it's bolt-on, it's not worth it, and while I wouldn't be quite so absolute I think that's a pretty solid assessment. Sure you're never going to get the best gear for that kind of price, but Epi's specials, 100s, G-310s and suchlike are pretty invariably unconvincing. If you want a good Epi for that price, you need to go used and the cheapest to look at is probably the worn G-400. I've had a Squier Affinity Strat and while it didn't blow me away (well, since it was my first guitar, I'm sure it did right at the start) I'd take it any day over an Epi for the same price. For what it's worth, Epi and Squier compete pretty evenly from about £250 (that's about $400, but with markets and all I don't really know what'd be equivalent; I believe guitars are cheaper west of the Atlantic.) and upwards, so saving and going used from either brand would be a good choice.

Quote by mosztertag
No bullet. Look for used deals, you can find some affinitys or maybe even a classic vibe for around $150. Reverb is a good place to start looking

I doubt it at that price, but I strongly recommend the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges from Squier if you can stretch the budget and go used. South of £300 (sadly, I'm not sure they are anymore - I've noticed the Squiers have jumped in price in the last couple months) there's nothing that's impressed me as much as these.

Vintage Modified is especially worth mentioning because OP mentioned elsewhere that he's into classic rock - the Vintage Mod range has a fair few HSS and HH guitars, and the singlecoils tend to be fairly hot. It mostly sits between Standard and Classic Vibe in terms of price, so if you can nab a used one you could be onto something.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 26, 2015,
Personally I would skip right on past the Squier Bullet and Affinity. Squier makes some great guitars but these two just aren't that good. I've owned plenty of Squiers and as a brand I love them. The Classic Vibe is the best guitars Squier makes but the Standard ad Vintage Modified are pretty good as well.

I have also had an Epiphone Les Paul Jr and a Les Paul 100 and there were pretty good guitars as well...much better than the Squier Bullets and Affinitys I have played.

The Mustang amp is a great choice. I had one and it was pretty good.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
i have a vintage modified and love it. i wonder if the classic vibe is actually $179 better.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Keep saving and buy something like this:
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster® HSS 3-Tone Sunburst

I don't like the bridge that's on it, but you can replace it if you don't like it
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Fine amp, but the guitar is as people have already said not good. I have one and it was a waste of money. It's a guitar you buy to get the answer to the question - "Is this a hobby I'll stick with?", thinking you don't want to spend too much initially. Either you stick with the hobby (sell the Bullet at loss and buy something better) or you don't, and you sell the Bullet. Either way, you probably spend/lose more money than if you'd bought something better in the first place.

I'd look at the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Series regarding Squier.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I'd consider a Yamaha Pacifica 112V if you can spare roughly £200 and still have enough for the amp
Quote by romeozdistress
i have a vintage modified and love it. i wonder if the classic vibe is actually $179 better.

I would have to say the Classic Vibe's I have owned are definitely better, as to how much better, that's subjective. In my case the Classic Vibes I owned were as good or even slightly better than most MiM Fenders I have played.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Last edited by ppiluk at Jul 27, 2015,