Page 1 of 2
Budget: £650 (head and cab).

Genres: Hard rock, thrash metal, progressive rock/metal. I love Deep Purple, Rainbow, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Opeth, King Crimson, Genesis, just to name a few.

New or Used: New.

Home or Gig: Home.

Closest City: London.

Current Gear: Blackstar HT-1 and a Chapman ML-1.

Hi everyone, I've been playing since January 2014, armed with a Blackstar HT-1 (not the 1R) combo with a Chapman ML-1. I'm starting to feel like I'm outgrowing both my guitar and amp now, I've pretty much decided on a PRS SE Custom 24 to upgrade my guitar (assuming I like it when I go to try one) but I'd like some advice on an amp.

I've been looking at getting a head and cabinet so I can upgrade each separately in the future if I desire. I'm mostly interested in head advice, I've been looking at the HT-20 and the Marshall DSL15H. I haven't tried either, though I will before I buy, but I'm interested to know if the HT-20 is just a higher powered HT-1 or whether there would be a significant tonal difference? The music style I like also seems very grounded in that Marshall sound so would a DSL15H be a better fit?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
jet city jc50H (or the 100 or the HDM I guess)

harley benton g212vintage

on thomann
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That cab is such amazing value compared to something like an Orange PPC112 with a single Vintage 30 inside it! Wouldn't the heads be overkill for home usage? I can't believe how loud my 1W amp is so I don't know if I could handle a 50/100W.
A 100W or even a 50W head would almost certainly be overkill for home use...At home I can barely push my 100W head through a 4x12 beyond 1 on the master without my neighbours getting a bit...unhappy...

I'd probably go for the Marshall DSL15H, with the Marshall MX212, although that might push your budget a bit (at least according to Thomann)

You should check out the "Sound like Slipknot"-video on the Andertons-channel, I think it sounds pretty sweet and might suit the sound you're looking for.

Word of advice though, I'd rather save up more, than cheap out on my cab, because otherwise you really won't be satisfied with any amp.

Happy Gear-Hunting
Quote by storm20200
That cab is such amazing value compared to something like an Orange PPC112 with a single Vintage 30 inside it! Wouldn't the heads be overkill for home usage? I can't believe how loud my 1W amp is so I don't know if I could handle a 50/100W.

Well if your 1 watt amp is already overkill why aren't the 15-20 watt ones you're looking at?

Just turn the thing down and buy the amp which sounds best at the volumes you're normally playing at- which is often, somewhat counterintuitively, the higher wattage amps; that's been my experience, and while I haven't tried the 20 watt jet cities, from what I hear the 50 actually sounds better at home volumes than the 20 does.

15-20 watts are still way too loud for home use, especially if you're shocked by how loud your 1 watt amp is.

Quote by Rem_Sing
(a) A 100W or even a 50W head would almost certainly be overkill for home use...At home I can barely push my 100W head through a 4x12 beyond 1 on the master without my neighbours getting a bit...unhappy...

(b) I'd probably go for the Marshall DSL15H, with the Marshall MX212, although that might push your budget a bit (at least according to Thomann)

(a) But so are 15 or 20 watt heads. I have a 5 watt master volume amp, and for high gain tones at home volumes I still have to put the master on 1.

(b) Why would you do that? You're basically telling him to buy something way worse (that cab is shite, it has mediocre (at best) speakers and I'm guessing it's not even plywood; the new dsls don't have the best rep either, but admittedly I haven't tried them) even though it's just as bad in terms of volume if he wants to crank it.

It's like telling someone not to buy a good quality car which can do 120mph for city driving because the urban speed limit is 30mph... and then advising them to buy a much worse quality car which can do 90mph. It doesn't make a whole heap of sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What would be an advantage of getting a 2x12" instead of a 1x12"? I'm quite a practical person so I've never really wanted a 4x12" cab and stuff because I know that one day I will have to move it so I edge towards the 1x12" more than anything :P
everything else being equal a 2x12 will sound bigger than a 1x12. which is not to say that a 1x12 will necessarily sound bad. you'll struggle to fit anything but the mini/lunchbox heads on a 1x12, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Well if your 1 watt amp is already overkill why aren't the 15-20 watt ones you're looking at?

Just turn the thing down and buy the amp which sounds best at the volumes you're normally playing at- which is often, somewhat counterintuitively, the higher wattage amps; that's been my experience, and while I haven't tried the 20 watt jet cities, from what I hear the 50 actually sounds better at home volumes than the 20 does.

15-20 watts are still way too loud for home use, especially if you're shocked by how loud your 1 watt amp is.
You make a very valid point. I'm looking at the 15W~ area because that's where the more expensive amps seem to be, I doubt I'd need that much power but I'm interested in experiencing a higher quality all-valve amp, obviously I can't stretch to a proper high end set up but I want to move from budget to mid range and the 15W area seems to be popular at my price point.

Quote by Dave_Mc
everything else being equal a 2x12 will sound bigger than a 1x12. which is not to say that a 1x12 will necessarily sound bad. you'll struggle to fit anything but the mini/lunchbox heads on a 1x12, though.
I hadn't actually thought about dimensions being a problem. I assumed that since I have a 1x8" combo that the extra diameter of a 1x12" would be ample for a wider head. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote by storm20200
You make a very valid point. I'm looking at the 15W~ area because that's where the more expensive amps seem to be, I doubt I'd need that much power but I'm interested in experiencing a higher quality all-valve amp, obviously I can't stretch to a proper high end set up but I want to move from budget to mid range and the 15W area seems to be popular at my price point.

I hadn't actually thought about dimensions being a problem. I assumed that since I have a 1x8" combo that the extra diameter of a 1x12" would be ample for a wider head. Thanks for the heads up.

No worries.

If you want something which is all-valve, avoid the Blackstar HTs, because they, er, aren't.

EDIT: Jet City does a 20 watt head as well. The 2 channel one (there's a lower gain single channel version) has the same preamp as the 50 watt. But as I said, supposedly it sounds worse at low volumes than the 50 watter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc

(a) But so are 15 or 20 watt heads. I have a 5 watt master volume amp, and for high gain tones at home volumes I still have to put the master on 1.

That really depends on the amp and how efficient the speakers of your cab are. I normally don't have any problem with turning up my 20w head's volume about halfways with the gain on half as well...but I tend to play pretty loud anyways

Quote by Dave_Mc

(b) Why would you do that? You're basically telling him to buy something way worse (that cab is shite, it has mediocre (at best) speakers and I'm guessing it's not even plywood; the new dsls don't have the best rep either, but admittedly I haven't tried them) even though it's just as bad in terms of volume if he wants to crank it.

I admit, that was quite a brainfart, I don't normally have that much confidence in cheap cabs...really shouldn't post when I'm almost out cold
But from what I've heard, the DSL15Hs aren't that bad, at least when you're looking for pretty gainy tones (judging from the Andertons video).

As I mentioned before, I don't think that going with only 650 pounds for amp and cab is the best idea...because unless you're willing to gamble on something used or Bugera (might be great-or broken when you get it) you'll have to either cheap out on the cab or the amp, both cases will probably leave you unsatisfied and you'd have to buy yet another item...most of the good 15-20W heads i know are around the 500 mark, and I highly doubt that 150 is gonna buy you a really nice cab (which can really make or break your tone)
Quote by Rem_Sing
(a) That really depends on the amp and how efficient the speakers of your cab are. I normally don't have any problem with turning up my 20w head's volume about halfways with the gain on half as well...but I tend to play pretty loud anyways

(b) I admit, that was quite a brainfart, I don't normally have that much confidence in cheap cabs...really shouldn't post when I'm almost out cold
But from what I've heard, the DSL15Hs aren't that bad, at least when you're looking for pretty gainy tones (judging from the Andertons video).

(c) As I mentioned before, I don't think that going with only 650 pounds for amp and cab is the best idea...because unless you're willing to gamble on something used or Bugera (might be great-or broken when you get it) you'll have to either cheap out on the cab or the amp, both cases will probably leave you unsatisfied and you'd have to buy yet another item...most of the good 15-20W heads i know are around the 500 mark, and I highly doubt that 150 is gonna buy you a really nice cab (which can really make or break your tone)

(a) Either your speakers are crazy inefficient or your idea of practising volume is a lot louder than most people's

(b) no worries

(c) the jet city stuff is pretty good and it's cheap, and combined with that HB cab you have a pretty decent rig for not much money. I agree with you that in a lot of cases if you cheap out it'll hurt you in the long run and be a false economy... but the jet city and that harley benton cab buck that trend.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) Either your speakers are crazy inefficient or your idea of practising volume is a lot louder than most people's

Speak up boy, I can't hear ya!
You're probably right

Quote by Dave_Mc

(c) the jet city stuff is pretty good and it's cheap, and combined with that HB cab you have a pretty decent rig for not much money. I agree with you that in a lot of cases if you cheap out it'll hurt you in the long run and be a false economy... but the jet city and that harley benton cab buck that trend.

Still not quite sold on the HB, from what I've heard their stuff is rather hit or miss...but the Jet Citys are pretty sweet, agreed
Quote by Dave_Mc
No worries.

If you want something which is all-valve, avoid the Blackstar HTs, because they, er, aren't.

EDIT: Jet City does a 20 watt head as well. The 2 channel one (there's a lower gain single channel version) has the same preamp as the 50 watt. But as I said, supposedly it sounds worse at low volumes than the 50 watter.

I was under the impression the HT-5 and upwards is all-valve, are they hybrids? I'd be interested in trying the Jet City but they don't seem to be readily available over here
Quote by diabolical
OP - how about a 6505 combo? That'd probably fit your budget.

That doesn't seem very easy to get a hold of, have Peavey shut up shop in the UK or something?
Quote by Rem_Sing

Still not quite sold on the HB, from what I've heard their stuff is rather hit or miss...but the Jet Citys are pretty sweet, agreed

It is pretty hard to screw up a wooden box made of plywood. The V30's alone cost almost as much as the loaded cab. Dave has had one for several years with no issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is pretty hard to screw up a wooden box made of plywood. The V30's alone cost almost as much as the loaded cab. Dave has had one for several years with no issue.

+3.1415 I wish I could get them that cheap in the States.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415 I wish I could get them that cheap in the States.

Hell yeah, it is literally one of the best deals on a cab with good speakers I have ever seen. I did get my 2x12 w/ G12h30's for $267 new here in the states, but that company does not seem to be selling in the USA any more (Studio 7). Their 2x12 w/V30's was $299 if I remember right
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rem_Sing
(a) Speak up boy, I can't hear ya!
You're probably right

(b) Still not quite sold on the HB, from what I've heard their stuff is rather hit or miss...but the Jet Citys are pretty sweet, agreed

(a) LOL

(b) Yeah, most of it is rebranded as far as I'm aware. It's a matter of figuring out which is the decent stuff and which isn't.

The HB cab seems just fine (genuinely plywood and genuinely has v30s; slightly cheap tolex I guess. I think it actually sounds a little better than the jet city cab (it's slightly bigger), but obviously swapping speakers takes time and you can't do a direct A/B so you're relying on memory, a lot of which is psychological My suspicion was that the HB sounded a little better, though...), but admittedly I don't gig so I've hardly taxed it. It's not a massive risk, though, since the price of the cab is little more than the cost of two V30s alone. Granted- most speaker cabs come loaded so if you did sell it keeping the speakers might not be much point.

Quote by storm20200
(a) I was under the impression the HT-5 and upwards is all-valve, are they hybrids? I'd be interested in trying the Jet City but they don't seem to be readily available over here

(b) That doesn't seem very easy to get a hold of, have Peavey shut up shop in the UK or something?

(a) nah they're hybrid. the biggest HT, the 100 watter, has an extra preamp valve and might be all-valve, but I still suspect it's hybrid, just a bit less so.

You can get jet city on thomann. or there's a UK jet city online store.

(b) yeah there's something weird going on with peavey's EU distribution currently.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 28, 2015,
Hmmmm, that leaves me in quite a predicament cause I really wanted to try what I bought. I guess I could at least try the Blackstar and Marshall, if I'm not wowed or feel like taking a chance I could go for the Jet City.

I noticed the 100HDM has a 50W switch, are you aware of any downsides versus the JCA50H? Also does anyone have any thoughts of the Engl E305 Gigmaster? If I decide to take a gamble on an amp I've not heard I might as well include another competitor :P

I'm certainly edging away from the Blackstar since I am a victim of their marketing.
Quote by storm20200
Hmmmm, that leaves me in quite a predicament cause I really wanted to try what I bought. I guess I could at least try the Blackstar and Marshall, if I'm not wowed or feel like taking a chance I could go for the Jet City.

I noticed the 100HDM has a 50W switch, are you aware of any downsides versus the JCA50H? Also does anyone have any thoughts of the Engl E305 Gigmaster? If I decide to take a gamble on an amp I've not heard I might as well include another competitor :P

I'm certainly edging away from the Blackstar since I am a victim of their marketing.

Yeah, I stay away from blackstar, but their series one amps are pretty nice. The HT series is pretty mediocre and I thought that way before they were shown to be liars.

The Jet City 100HDM is a pretty nice amp especially for the price.

If I remember correctly the Engl Gigmaster also has SS components in it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, I stay away from blackstar, but their series one amps are pretty nice. The HT series is pretty mediocre and I thought that way before they were shown to be liars.

The Jet City 100HDM is a pretty nice amp especially for the price.

If I remember correctly the Engl Gigmaster also has SS components in it

big +1.

they are not cheap, and are pretty blah, and they are lying bastards.

three strikes you're out blackstar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The amp market is starting to sound more and more like the TV/monitor market, full of legal lies and bending the truth.
Quote by storm20200
The amp market is starting to sound more and more like the TV/monitor market, full of legal lies and bending the truth.

Some company's yes, Blackstar and Hughes & Kettner seem to be the leaders of this though.

But there are still some great amp companies that make a good, solid product that is exactly how they market them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by storm20200

(a) I noticed the 100HDM has a 50W switch, are you aware of any downsides versus the JCA50H? (b) Also does anyone have any thoughts of the Engl E305 Gigmaster? If I decide to take a gamble on an amp I've not heard I might as well include another competitor :P

(a) Yeah it costs about half as much again as the JCA50H

No downside other than that, far as I'm aware. It's actually possibly not as much more expensive now as it used to be. It used to be £400 while the JCA50H used to be £250.

(b) As rob said, I strongly suspect it's hybrid as well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK guys thanks for all the help, I'm off to buy a new guitar today and will have a think about which to get at the end of the month. It's looking like a Jet City amp at the moment. I'm definitely getting that 2x12" cab though! It's a shame people are selling hybrids as all-valve amps, certainly a sad state of affairs when you can't trust what's in the specs
yeah it's very annoying.

the irony is if BS had been upfront we'd probably have thought it was pretty decent for what it was- the "right" way to do a hybrid, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it's very annoying.

the irony is if BS had been upfront we'd probably have thought it was pretty decent for what it was- the "right" way to do a hybrid, kind of thing.

agree. actually i played thru an HT-5 (or 1 don't remember)the other day and didn't hate it at all. for a little practice amp i thought it wasn't bad. not great but i think it was $200 so i didn't expect much. tried out a new LP standard, an SG and a Peavey Wolfgang and all sounded decent through it. of course thy all sounded better thru the Mesa MKV i also tried them through but no shock there.

Blackstar is kinda careful about really pushing the "all" tube thing in advertising lately. they do of course prominently mention tubes. not hard to figure out that if the preamp only has 1 or 2 tubes (even on the higher watt models) that there must be some solid help going on.
I was one of the persons that thought only 100% tube amps sound good. Now, after playing for more years and trying all kinds of gear from all price ranges, I do think there is hybrid stuff that really sounds great.

HT Series doesn't sound bad, it is just a stigma around here, I do prefer other amps though.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 1, 2015,
Bullshitting is a stigma?
I call it simply being called out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well they don't sound bad. The people from Blackstar can be liars, yes, like many other companies, and I feel like you, they should not lie, but that is another thing. It is what it is pal.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
And what it is is unethical. It is wise not to deal with unethical people. **** 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not arguing with that.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Given that the OP is only interested in an using the amp for home use, it makes sense to invest in one of the many "lunchbox" amps available. The Peavey 6505 Micro would be one of my main interests.

On that note, the ValveKing 20 would also be worth looking into, as well as the 15W 5150.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 2, 2015,
By the time you get done tossing all that money at a bigger, clunkier amp and cabinet, you'll still be facing the same issue you are now. You can't use 98% of what's there. You've just spent money to have bigger stuff that takes up more room, that collects more dust, etc.
Quote by monwobobbo
agree. actually i played thru an HT-5 (or 1 don't remember)the other day and didn't hate it at all. for a little practice amp i thought it wasn't bad. not great but i think it was $200 so i didn't expect much. tried out a new LP standard, an SG and a Peavey Wolfgang and all sounded decent through it. of course thy all sounded better thru the Mesa MKV i also tried them through but no shock there.

Blackstar is kinda careful about really pushing the "all" tube thing in advertising lately. they do of course prominently mention tubes. not hard to figure out that if the preamp only has 1 or 2 tubes (even on the higher watt models) that there must be some solid help going on.

yeah. I still haven't got round to trying one.

I'm not sure if they ever actually said they were all-tube (but they didn't correct guitar mags at the start when they were reviewing them- a bunch of the early reviews call them all-tube), but their pedals say "pure tube" which is pretty darn close, and they say the ht-5 is pretty close to their pedals.

I agree with cath- not sure they ever actually crossed into the black-and-white lying, but they got close enough for me not to like them.

"I didn't actually technically lie" isn't exactly much of a character reference.

In my opinion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No...I'm pretty sure they advertised their HT amps as 'All Tube'.

If you say that, then IMO you are specifically pointing out that your preamp is all tube too. Obviously, that is not true - at least on the HT amps. Don't make me post that gut pic again

I played the HT-1 when it first came out. Although it didn't sound bad, I can still hear the OP amp clipping in my head - even though at the time, I assumed it was all tube.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

If you say that, then IMO you are specifically pointing out that your preamp is all tube too. Obviously, that is not true - at least on the HT amps. Don't make me post that gut pic again

I played the HT-1 when it first came out. Although it didn't sound bad, I can still hear the OP amp clipping in my head - even though at the time, I assumed it was all tube.

well since it only has 1 preamp tube and 1 power amp tube it's not tough to figure out that there must be more going on to get the high gain sound. i agree that their advertising borders on being bullshit but what can you do (outside of not buying product). even their higher wattage amps only have 2 preamp tubes which once again isn't enough to provide high gain without help.

for $200 new you can't expect much and i thought the HT i tried was acceptable for the purpose. it is very limited tonally but for a plug and play practice amp you could do much worse. the distortion sound was fairly heavy so i can see the metal kids who are beginners liking it. wouldn't suggest it for any other purpose.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I can't remember if they actually advertised it or not, but now you mention it, there's a youtube video floating about where a blackstar employee specifically says the HT5 is all tube.

IIRC.

Quote by monwobobbo
well since it only has 1 preamp tube and 1 power amp tube it's not tough to figure out that there must be more going on to get the high gain sound.

It's not tough if you're a guitar forum regular. It's a lot tougher if you're not. I'm guessing 99% of guitar players aren't guitar forum regulars. I certainly only found out stuff like this after spending years on forums.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 2, 2015,
Page 1 of 2