Page 1 of 3
got this little ditty from JustRooster

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-7611752

Discuss situations where you've seen this occur (can be about yourself, can be about other people.) Let's try and keep it civil yall; keep your hands to yourselves.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I don't think owls are real because I don't know if I have ever actually seen one for real.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
opinions are overrated

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Opinions are like assholes. I just want to **** them.

That doesn't seem right
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Good article.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777
I don't think owls are real because I don't know if I have ever actually seen one for real.

I've heard a whole city of them.

It sounded like shit electronic music.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I've heard a whole city of them.

It sounded like shit electronic music.

who whohoot hoohoohoo who who whohoot hoohoohoo hootwho
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Owls seem like they'd be assholes.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Owls seem like they'd be assholes.

Now I'm really conflicted
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by vintage x metal
who whohoot hoohoohoo who who whohoot hoohoohoo hootwho

More like this:

Sorry.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
More like this:

Sorry.

**** man why you gotta be like that, bringing this shit up in here

I was confused because you called it electronic music and I always thought this was just the sound of crying while fapping
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal

Discuss situations where you've seen this occur

Any discussion involving art, literature, film, music, etc. Apparently going 'well it's subjective' actually passes as intelligent conversation/analysis these days...
Quote by beadhangingOne
Any discussion involving art, literature, film, music, etc. Apparently going 'well it's subjective' actually passes as intelligent conversation/analysis these days...

yeah but sometimes it being subjective is just a fact
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
**** man why you gotta be like that, bringing this shit up in here

I was confused because you called it electronic music and I always thought this was just the sound of crying while fapping

You mean some people don't cry when they fap?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by beadhangingOne at #33518427

Isn't that to be expected when you're discussing subjects where the subjective values are significantly more important than the objective values?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Come into any discussion in the film thread. We've realized the rhetorical power of appealing to subjectivity all the damn time.

Quote by GuitarGod_92
RIP in peace Seventh ;_;

haha

Quote by vintage x metal
yeah but sometimes it being subjective is just a fact

yeah but subjectivity doesn't mean that anything you say is protected by the magical orb of opinion island. It's just an acknowledgment of the fact that your personal experiences throughout life affect how you view the material. In essence, everything's subjective.

Quote by caeser1156
Isn't that to be expected when you're discussing subjects where the subjective values are significantly more important than the objective values?

Abstract values are not always so subjective.

The way I've always explained it is by equating it to linguistics. There's no real objective barometer, but it's subjectivity doesn't mean that you can construct a sentence like "Hallo name is, my: Peter" and not be called a dick.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
yeah but subjectivity doesn't mean that anything you say is protected by the magical orb of opinion island. It's just an acknowledgment of the fact that your personal experiences throughout life affect how you view the material. In essence, everything's subjective.

of course it doesn't protect you the reason I responded with that is because he was specifically referring to art, lit, film, music, etc. which is unavoidably subjective in many ways (and in ways much less existential than "everything is subjective.")

anyway it was mostly just a fun play on subjectivity as an objective part of certain experiences
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

but an underrated activity
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by thing
Everyone knows water expands when it freezes. Do you know why it does that when literally nothing else in the world does?

other things in the world literally do that
like genitals right?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

When all else fail, just confound the issues with Racism, and the holocaust.

Not at all surprising that the author press photo screams "douche"
Quote by caeser1156

Well, no because I believe exactly the opposite of that.

Essentially, all I'm saying is this: not all opinions are valid, some opinions are in fact, better than others, by virtue of being grounded in reality, based on evidence, and well thought out.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Come into any discussion in the film thread. We've realized the rhetorical power of appealing to subjectivity all the damn time.

It's one of the reasons I hardly post there anymore.

Right, but we can through the powers of reasoning, logic, knowledge, etc. come to a closer approximation of the truth.
->favourite colour = black
->"mint tastes gross"
->believes dr who is the best show on television

literally the worst person ever & that's a fact
hey dude what's your c/m/tv?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
like genitals right?

But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Adjutant95
When all else fail, just confound the issues with Racism, and the holocaust.

Not at all surprising that the author press photo screams "douche"

yeah I mean why would anyone want to talk about racism?? I believe racism is fake
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

IQ tests done by a team of multiple professionals on me determined I belong to the top 8.5% intelligent people.

People here think I talk shit.

Welcome to my life

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
IQ tests done by a team of multiple professionals on me determined I belong to the top 8.5% intelligent people.

Welcome to my life

this story is only tangentially related:

one time I was in the car with my oldest brother and dad and we were discussing something when I mentioned that dolphins are potentially more intelligent than humans. my dad and brother flipped out. my brother was all "yeah but that's impossible because dolphins can't take IQ tests" and my dad was all "yeah if dolphins are so smart why don't they have cell phones??"

lol
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

ot: I had to explain "this isn't my opinion, man. go wikipedia it or sumf"
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by xxdarrenxx

Welcome to my life

Well, if you sat through all those tests, then you are, objectively, really ****ing dull.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Opinions can't be right or wrong.

Facts can't be.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
That was, far and away, the most nauseating article I've read in a long time. My god is that author stupid.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, if you sat through all those tests, then you are, objectively, really ****ing dull.

Well this is my issue.

You now imply you can establish my intelligence better than them.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 26, 2015,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Well this is my issue.

You now imply you can establish my intelligence better than them.

Do you think I should take your word over theirs?

I think you should know that 'dull' has many meanings.

I was implying 'boring' and 'tedious'.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Rossenrot
That was, far and away, the most nauseating article I've read in a long time. My god is that author stupid.

Great example of an opinion, dude! Want to post an article you believe is better?
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
Great example of an opinion, dude! Want to post an article you believe is better?

It's a fact that that author is stupid, not my opinion, and clearly any other view is just an opinion, and opinions are wrong, just like skepticism.
Page 1 of 3