I just want to play at home and record. If tone is the most important, should I get a head or combo? Another thing that is important is that there is an effect's loop, since I like to plug into my audio interface and then my computer through the back of my amps.

I am thinking of getting a Fender or Mesa Boogie to get a different type of tone. Marshall's clean is too dry.
Irrelevant. Neither format has an advantage where tone is concerned. Portability and ease of swapping speakers/cabs are the major differences, with some other minor differences depending on the individual amp's topology or design (some amps are more sensitive to microphonics in combo format, for example). In general, the difference between a head and combo (assuming all else is equal) is either small or entirely negligible.

Find an amp that sounds good to you, don't pick one based on the format if you aren't locked in to one or the other for another reason. No point in limiting your choices artificially.
Thanks for the info. I just bought a PRS SE Standard. I also have a strat. I have a JCM900 and two small and old Fender amps without tubes. They could sound better.

Any suggestions for me? I have been away from guitar for about 14 years.
Give us more information. Budget, styles of music you play, where you play (at home, gigs, garage, small apartment), features you think you might want, what you don't like about your current amps, etc.
Roc8995 is absolutely right. You should also consider:

At least in my experience, it's easier to find (more or less) affordable combos that give you acceptable volumes for home-use.

Heads and cabs together might be more expensive, but you can mix and match them easier, for example if you have one cab you really like and wanna try out several amps through that one (or the other way round)

Some more infos would really be helpful though
Here is a link to my music I made when I was mostly eighteen: https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

I just want to rock and record at home. Tone is the most important, since recording is very important. My JCM900 has awesome distortion, while my Fenders are only good for clean.

I also posted a new question: Which cabinet is the best now for rock?
Quote by NostraHistoria
Here is a link to my music I made when I was mostly eighteen: https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara

I just want to rock and record at home. Tone is the most important, since recording is very important. My JCM900 has awesome distortion, while my Fenders are only good for clean.

I also posted a new question: Which cabinet is the best now for rock?

there are no bests, but i like orange, mesa, avatar, and marshall as top picks for commonly found cabs. avatar is nice because you can customize and chose your ideal speakers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As long as it isn't made like a highschool woodshop project (unless it got like an A+) the cab isn't too important, but the speakers you roll with will make more of a difference. All the makes trashed listed are solid though.

If you're mostly going to just be messing around with a home recording situation I'm guessing mobility isn't an issue for you, assuming you don't plan on eventually playing with other people.

How much are you willing to spend overall on the amp? And you mentioned rock a few times, which is a bit general. Any specific bands you're looking to emulate tone-wise?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
You could trade up your whole setup for a Marshall JVM. It'll do everything you want really well.

If you just want a good clean amp, the Fender Hot Rod stuff is great for the prices they go for used.

What is your budget? It's not really possible to give real suggestions without knowing how much you're looking to spend.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
But the JVM blows

Quote by Roc8995
Give us more information. Budget, styles of music you play, where you play (at home, gigs, garage, small apartment), features you think you might want, what you don't like about your current amps, etc.

+1

TS (thread starter) - please provide the appropriate information that we require in order to help you. I personally am not going to go listen to your music to try to figure out what you play mostly. Just list the types or genres of music.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
You blow.

I like it a lot. It doesn't sound great with T75s though. Better with V30s, and great with H55s or H30s.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i am not a JVM fan either. someday i may pick up a vintage modern for fun though. other than that not a fan of what marshall is doing these days.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry for not responding earlier. I found a solution. I put my Ibanez CP10 in front of my amp and it made a fatter and rounder sound similar to what Fenders make. I guess I do not need another amp. Thanks anyway!