I just got a blackstar s1412b and I was wondering why there aren't ANY reviews on it? NO musicians that I know of use it and I've seen only a handful of YouTube vids . its an awesome cabinet or so I think but has bond thought to use it? Is it not top of the line? I paid 500$ for it from Sam ash which isn't bad at all from what I've seen but I'm curious to why there's nothing on it but everything on the s1 amps
Last edited by ratsrelow at Jul 27, 2015,
It's because blackstar has a hella bad reputation because of their shady marketing policies.

Take the HT series - these are advertised as tube amps, while they aren't all tube amps at all.
Or the HT5 and HT1, which are supposed to be "perfect for getting a good tone at low volumes", when in fact power has nothing to do with how good stuff sounds at low volumes and these amps don't sound any better than any other amp at low volumes - they usually sound worse actually.

I have tried a 6L6 series 1 and I did like it, but I'd rather give my money to someone else, and this is the way a lot of other people feel as well.

Also why did you bump your thread without even waiting an hour?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ That.

And the price of a Blackstar series will get you almost any other used amp out there. Especially Mesa. Always something better.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
there is tons of gear that don't have "rock star" connections doesn't mean it's bad. blackstar is hardly the first name i think of when shopping for a cab so i'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
Because Blackstar are lying douchebags and 90% of the people here recognize that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 27, 2015,
Make a (honest) review yourself, with a video demo
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by Spambot_2
It's because blackstar has a hella bad reputation because of their shady marketing policies.

Take the HT series - these are advertised as tube amps, while they aren't all tube amps at all.
Or the HT5 and HT1, which are supposed to be "perfect for getting a good tone at low volumes", when in fact power has nothing to do with how good stuff sounds at low volumes and these amps don't sound any better than any other amp at low volumes - they usually sound worse actually.

I have tried a 6L6 series 1 and I did like it, but I'd rather give my money to someone else, and this is the way a lot of other people feel as well.

Also why did you bump your thread without even waiting an hour?

So the tubes in mine are a lie?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
So the tubes in mine are a lie?

no the tubes are real but so is all the ss stuff in the circuit path. the bitch is that the amps have a bunch of op amps etc in with the tubes making them more of a hybrid that an all tube amp.
Quote by monwobobbo
no the tubes are real but so is all the ss stuff in the circuit path. the bitch is that the amps have a bunch of op amps etc in with the tubes making them more of a hybrid that an all tube amp.

Fair enough.

I didn't really do a huge amount of research before buying(as in, I didn't read adverts and stuff). I decided on a budget, and went around stores trying amps around that point. I will admit, even though it would have gone over the budget I set, I was tempted by an AC30, because the cleans were gorgeous. But overall, I liked the HT60 better.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Fair enough.

I didn't really do a huge amount of research before buying(as in, I didn't read adverts and stuff).

That's probably a good thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you guys are only talking about the amps though lmao one person said something about buying the mesa and whatnot and I understand maybe their policies may be shady but it can't be that bad of a cab... it has custom voiced v30s (like every other big name cab out there) made of solid birch plywood and from what I can tell it's extremely solid. I might make my own review as well as a review on the tbx150h I have and the ltd m330 which all for some reason don't have much on them and I haven't really found a problem with and they sound great. (sorry for bumping so early It was 3 in the morning and I was antsy I apologize). I understand everyone uses mesa or orange or marshall but when I see blackstar I know with the series one head it's freaking awesome and people know that but no one talks about the cab that's pushing it either. I don't have professional recording stuff unfortunately so I'm a little limited as to how I'm going to write a reviww
Last edited by ratsrelow at Jul 27, 2015,
Quote by ratsrelow
you guys are only talking about the amps though lmao
Yeah, lmao.

Considering the reputation, the people here wouldn't buy anything blackstar, and nobody's decision is based on how anything sounds.
Quote by ratsrelow
it has custom voiced v30s (like every other big name cab out there)
Only mesa has custom v30's, but everybody knows what's the difference.
"custom voiced" speakers are never a good thing, and considering who's the one selling it I'd guess that's another bad sounding marketing division choice.
Quote by ratsrelow
made of solid birch plywood and from what I can tell it's extremely solid.
Solidness isn't what you judge the design of a cab from.
It's a guitar cab, it won't be well designed anyway, but one thing you can already judge the quality from is the size - is it the 412 or the 412PRO?
Quote by ratsrelow
I see blackstar I know with the series one head it's freaking awesome and people know that but no one talks about the cab that's pushing it either.
Again, it's not a matter of sound.
It's a matter of principle.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
plus I think what the problem is is that these people may have seen a few bad reviews or experiences and butchering of the name of blackstar with their "reputation" but honestly I feel like they make solid products. you can't really tell unless you buy and I see what you mean with the custom v30s but Orange does customs and they sound pretty great. mesa does it and obviously they are pretty amazing. pretty sure marshall does it too so I don't see that it's relevant unless a company doesn't know what they are doing. that's just my two sense .
Quote by ratsrelow
plus I think what the problem is is that these people may have seen a few bad reviews or experiences and butchering of the name of blackstar with their "reputation" but honestly I feel like they make solid products. you can't really tell unless you buy and I see what you mean with the custom v30s but Orange does customs and they sound pretty great. mesa does it and obviously they are pretty amazing. pretty sure marshall does it too so I don't see that it's relevant unless a company doesn't know what they are doing. that's just my two sense .

"These people" are guitar players, electrical engineers and electronics technicians with years (and in some cases decades) of experience. You won't find a dogpile because of reviews elsewhere here. If we say it's crap, there's a reason.

In this case it's the provable dishonesty they've shown in their advertising which, as noted, causes many to avoid them on principle.

You can buy what you want, and if it works for you that's great, just don't expect to change very many minds.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I for example love Blacktar's pedals, the HT-Dual in particular. Can't find a single fault in that one, but they pretty much slap that circuit on their smaller amps and call it "all tube"...now that I have a problem with.
Quote by Spambot_2

Only mesa has custom v30's

I could be wrong but I think marshall does too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
"These people" are guitar players, electrical engineers and electronics technicians with years (and in some cases decades) of experience. You won't find a dogpile because of reviews elsewhere here. If we say it's crap, there's a reason.

You can buy what you want, and if it works for you that's great, just don't expect to change very many minds.

Read this back to yourself next time you feel like we're being mean to Bugera.
okay diabolical is right about slapping it into the low amps being wrong. but I'm not here to change minds I am more or less curious as to why people aren't interested in blackstar cabs and there isn't reviews. but I guess I understand why now. also I understand the UG has experienced players but why undermine a company for just a amp . last time I checked a lot of people loved the series one head but don't like the smaller amps due to the wiring configs and whatnot but it's like why hate an ENTIRE product line for one bad Apple or two or with their "shady " marketing schemes. I haven't heard any of the lower amps in the whole blackstar production but based on my experience with this cab... I'm not really sure why all the hate.
^^ (Colin) hahahahahaha

^ To be fair, it's not one or two products, it's two (possibly three- the jury's still out on whether the series one is genuinely all-valve or not) entire product lines from a company, which, at least originally, had, er, two* entire product lines. And they also have union flags plastered everywhere, when they're made in Korea. Again, they're not exactly flat-out lying, since they say where they're made round the back... but they're strongly implying.

* Ok maybe 3, I can't remember if the artisans were the first ones out. But still, a 67% shenanigans rating is hardly "one or two bad apples".
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2015,
it doesn't really matter where it's made if it's made well though. it doesn't make it right and maybe there's some reason behind this. I don't think that blackstar REALLY makes things that cheap. I don't know the whole story behind it but I do know that's still not a good reason to completely give up on a company. a good product is a good product whether it's made by a small company for very little or from a big company that makes you pay a lot.
I'm not super-worried about the where it's made thing (if you do your research you can find it out if you care, as I said, by looking at the back or reading magazine reviews).

But the same wasn't true of the all-tube thing. That was iffy, IMO. It was a good while before the magazine reviews started pointing out they were hybrid, the first batch of reviews said they were all-tube.

EDIT: I guess you could make the "if it sounds good, who cares?" argument, and a lot of people seem to agree with it, and maybe it is biting off your nose to spite your face if Blackstar is the only company making stuff you like, but for me personally there are enough companies making stuff which sounds good who don't have dodgy marketing that I can just avoid them.

Plus I didn't really like the artisan I tried (which, ironically enough, is all-tube). I haven't tried the HT series.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2015,
oh and they are DESIGNED in uk made in korea. they say nowhere that they produce them in uk. unless of course their older models did then people just assumed
Quote by ratsrelow
I just got a blackstar s1412b and I was wondering why there aren't ANY reviews on it?

There's absolutely nothing notable about it.

It's a bog standard 4x12 with Vintage30's built of birch ply.
It does nothing any better or any worse than any other 4x12 with the same speakers in it.
alright. thank you for the answer I understand now . it's basically just like any speaker with v30s unless it really is custom voiced. though I do like it and I think I'll do a review so I can give other people an idea of what it's like. though I couldn't tell you if it's any different.
Looks like you got your answers and understand where things sit.

Please do do a review and add it to UG's review section. You can always read some other speaker cabinet reviews to get ideas on how to go about it.

Quote by ratsrelow
but why undermine a company for just a amp .

Part of the angst is that their main design engineers that screwed up the Marshall JCM 900 were the same guys that left Marshall to create Blackstar. They came out with a bang with their 'all tube' amps. So they put clipping diodes in the JCM 900 and got caught. Leave Marshall start Blackstar. Do the same thing. Get caught.

Get it?

I'm not giving these guys my money. To many other honest outfits out there to get my hard earned buck.

Additionally, here are some gut shots that AcousticMirror gave me on some various Blackstar amps. I'm not sure if he circled the OpAmps or if he found them somewhere else. One of these I believe is a Series One. Can't remember what is what TBH.