For the sake of tone chasing I wanted to do half out of phase on a guitar but don't really want to waste a push pull pot on it. Is it possible to do so on a normal pot?

In the end I'd want to go from regular phase and adjust the phase reversal to half. I could do full out of phase effortlessly but this is one of those mods to my understanding I can do with two wire pickups. It's not a massive difference but just reassurance before trying it as I looked a bit on google and no one had it with a regular pot. Just push pulls and on super 5 way switches.

any helps appreciated of course I have one idea i scribbled out in photoshop that isn't perfect yet i can post and see for a second opinion as this is out of the box even for me.
i believe you can use a normal pot as a mix pot between normal and half-phased signal, wire normal to lug 1, phased to lug 3, out to lug 2(central) use a rather big value linear pot
I would need to see a circuit diagram, but it seems to me that mixing in a phase inversion from the same pickup's signal would simply result in canceling out that signal against itself, with the mid-adjustment being essentially zero volume. That might do what you want but it seems to me to be difficult to match its resulting signal level against the other pickup where you want the out of phase tone. I also think you might need a more complex pot, since the +_signal and -_signal need to be swapped in that crossing-over adjustment. I would be interested to hear what that does - as an experiment - if you try it.
the capacitor is a 0.01uf value , this is one diagram. The other used a 6.2k resistor which i read on a telecaster forum what the significance of it was.

but that is a good point about why a more complex pot would be needed. I was putting together a tele diagram and may put this onto it so before I started working on it I thought about the whole "what if" situation. I've taken a few pickups apart and turned them to 4 wire for some "series out of phase" sounds but never tried half out of phase yet. However I did see a good video or two on it.

this is the first easy/basic variant i may just go with

and this was one i was scribbling with on photoshop , it's not right as i probably only conceptualized it for like 10 minutes and went to bed.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jul 27, 2015,
Interesting. The resistor and cap seem to alter the frequency response of the pickup signal in that setting - is that the tone effect you want?

From my understanding the toggle switch on its own seems to be able to do the phase switching without the need for the resistor and cap (i.e. if they are just wires). I have a Strat copy that does something like that with a toggle (a brand called Northern, built in/for Canada).

I once used two Fender-type pickups back-to-back inside a humbucker cover in a guitar. It had a switch position placing them out of phase. Since they were so close together the result was very thin and quiet with a plinking tone and lots of crisp treble. Not great on its own, but useful to me when I mixed it with the other single coil pickup placed further away toward the neck.
yeah that's the effect, was trying to find the best way to do so as it's probably the only mod I haven't tried yet. Regular phase reversal I always found too extreme so when I heard of Jerry Donahue's wiring coming up a lot on a telecaster forum. Forget the reason why I searched it but I'd never heard of half out of phase until then.

that was an interesting idea for the way you did the fender pickups back to back inside a cover. Did you have trouble mounting it at all?
No trouble mounting them (they fit quite well inside the cover), but the body needed some undercutting to fit the tabs on the bottom of the bobbins. It was a homebuilt guitar so that was not a problem. I designed a 6-way switch that would mix these two pickups in series, parallel, out-of-phase, #1, #1_reverse_phase, and #2. I also introduced 47k resistors in series with the output and with the neck pickup (see below) to isolate them slightly when both are playing, and I added a bypass switch for the bridge pickup resistor to provide maximum signal level when desired (makes little difference but makes the bridge controls act differently, like a master volume).

I also mounted another single Fender pickup at the neck position within another humbucker cover. So what I have from that is effectively a SSS guitar that looks like a HH guitar.

I have still not yet explored all of the sounds this thing can make, some amazing and some not so much. It was very experimental.