I'm thinking of getting a black Hofner violin bass simply because I dig the design. Not sure if it's very versatile for playing anything outside of a Beatles sound though..

I thought it'd look pretty cool if I modded the pickups and used it to play some heavy distorted thrash but I don't know if it's possible. Any Hofner owners have some input on its versatility? Not necessarily for metal..but can you get a decent sound off a hofner outside the beatles-esque genre?
how do you edit signature?
Aren't hofners like really expensive? Get an epiphone viola or something.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Those basses have one tone, very thumpy with a typical hollow body resonance. I really wouldn't recommend them as versatile That tone is why people buy them
i owned one of the low end hofners, and i found them a bit more versatile than you might hear. first off, part of the really thumpy tone is the flatwound strings most people use on them. i really enjoyed mine, but i'm really into lots of bass tone.

if it's only the look that draws you, i'd recommend the epiphone viola bass. sounds more like a regular bass than the hofner, costs a few bucks less. everyone i know who has one likes it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
^ Sound advice. The hofner design is notoriously flimsy so you're playing with fire if you get a cheaper model. I've always been impressed with Epiphone's build quality.

Violin doesn't have much tonal variety but it has some useful sounds and some at least serviceable. The position of the bridge pickup is very limiting and so the short scale if you're after clarity and punch.
Spaz91 has a good point - the hofners (and not just the lowest end ones) are flimsy. the epiphone, which weighs about 1 1/2 ponds more, is definitely more robust.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!