So, even though I normally don't get along physically with an LP, I've always loved the sound and imo its pretty much the perfect guitar. The weight, the arched top and especially annoying placement of the pup selector have been massive issues when I sport a Les Paul. But with Gibson going apeshit on prices and the overall notion that quality is dropping (I've played J and Special models with price tags that made me chuckle, in a cringing chuckle sorta way), and my severely limited finances, if I was ever gonna own a Gibson LP, it has to be NOW.

I assumed they were already outta reach for someone with my finances, at least one I liked. But then I came across an ad with a sharp looking, natural finish, 2009, LP Studio with a Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge pup and SD 59 neck pup. The guy was looking to trade for a Fender offset and, while I loved my '65RI Mustang, I invited him over. I am now certain I prefer this LP Studio.

It's a very comfortable, fast player. It's obviously chambered, which helps a skinny wimp like me handle an LP. The neck feels great, the fretboard is smooth and fast, I'd call it "effortless" but not quite as effortless as the Mustang, which damn near played itself. I'm infatuated with the SD 59 neck pup, its so warm and thick and beautifully musical, I doubt I'd ever change it. I was a bit underwhelmed with the Dimarzio Tone Zone at first, seemed a bit too noisy and muddled for my tastes at first. But after simply lowering the pup a bit, its the hot (but quiet), crunchy humbucker I was anticipating. I may pupgrade to something more classic rockish and crispier, with lower gain, down the road. I have an SD JB in an old Cort I rarely use anymore, thought about throwing that in there but I think I'm just gonna roll with the TZ for now and patiently wait to stumble across the perfect bridge humbucker.

Its been a fun honeymoon, the more familiar I get with it, the more I dig it! If I can figure out how to deal with the placement of the pup selector, one way or another, I could see myself sporting this guitar for a long time.

(BTW, any ideas to remedy my constant flipping of the pup selector switch? Is it easy enough to install a slider switch or pushbutton in its place? I don't wanna lose the function.)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You'd have to flail away pretty bad, meaning you're using you arm not wrist to strum and strum pretty well over the fingerboard o knock the selector switch on a Les Paul.
Moving on.....
I am a pretty wreckless strummer, but it works for me and helps me keep time, and not so wreckless that its ever been a problem on any other guitar. I prefer altering the guitar over altering how I strum.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Enjoy!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Do you keep on knocking it into the neck position? If thats the problem then just rotate the switch 180 degrees, or if you're just sloppy and knock it either way, rotate it 90 degrees and you shouldnt knock it from on pup to the other at all, but just remember the orientation when you select between the pups, point the neck pos at the neck and the bridge position at the bridge and she'll be apples mate.
Quote by dazza027
Do you keep on knocking it into the neck position? If thats the problem then just rotate the switch 180 degrees, or if you're just sloppy and knock it either way, rotate it 90 degrees and you shouldnt knock it from on pup to the other at all, but just remember the orientation when you select between the pups, point the neck pos at the neck and the bridge position at the bridge and she'll be apples mate.

So simple its perfect! I'm about to try this right now.
Just try not to get 'caught in the moment' and slap the switch too hard forgetting that you've adjusted it if you go with the 90 option, you'll snap the knob off...
Quote by dazza027
Just try not to get 'caught in the moment' and slap the switch too hard forgetting that you've adjusted it if you go with the 90 option, you'll snap the knob off...

Dude! You just turned my entire world upside down! Or, at least 90°. Turning the bridge pup selection to point toward the headstock makes all the difference in the world! That solution was so simple I feel pretty naive but thank you very much for that tip.
HNGD! nice guitar!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Always wanted a Les Paul too. Cheers man!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Why is one of those knobs completely different to the other 3? Is Gibson QC that bad?
HNGD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Also gonna point out, you could remove the lil plastic thing on there to make it smaller. Then when you switch you'll just have to make a more concentrated effort. (And it might scratch you. It's KINDA sharp under there.)
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Thanks guys! The simple trick Dazza mentioned solved my issue, all I needed was just another half inch. Now I'm digging it even more.

Quote by The Judist
Why is one of those knobs completely different to the other 3? Is Gibson QC that bad?
HNGD!

When I first got it, I was curious if the gold witchhat knobs looked better than the black speed knobs. I still haven't decided, lol.
Sweet

Yeah the neck '59 is sweet. TZ wouldn't be my choice in a LP but I'm guessing if you lowered it it won't be terrible. JB's probably a little better, but again not my choice. I'd rather have something a bit lower in output (assuming I wanted the guitar to sound like a classic Les Paul type of tone).

I think EVH did that rotating pickup selector thing on his sig models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman

When I first wrote it I noticed that and thought about rewording it, but then I thought, nah, the world needs more "that's what she said" jokes.