Hi there,

I recently bought a Classic Players 50s Strat and am looking at customising the wiring. I'm currently planning on putting in a push-push pot on the volume to control 7 way switching and replacing one of the tone pots with a TBX control. I thought I might make this a master control, but that leaves me with another tone pot that isn't being used.

I thought about perhaps making this a varitone style control, but I'm not sure how much extra that would add to my tonal options realistically.

I also considered maybe putting in a preamp like the Clapton mid boost but I'm reluctant to put any active electronics in unless a) I can install the battery without having to route the body at all, and b) it has a bypass so I can still play if the battery dies.

I would really welcome your thoughts on what I could use this space for as it seems a shame just to leave it as a dummy!

I'll be using this guitar for a range of styles including blues, funk, crunchy/fuzzy rock and the odd bit of metal, though I've got guitars that can handle higher gain sounds.

Thanks,
Ern
I like the TBX idea, a lot of guys don't know how to use it properly as you got to keep the pot at 5 if you want the sound of your guitar but everyone assumes 10 is still 10.

you can go with this , it's a treble and bass cut with the 7 way mod. Both are master. the torres mid scoop / boost is something I've got in a personal guitar now and it's another different thing to try. It chokes or makes the guitar stand out more. It's a passive mod. As far as the varitone goes it's kind of a waste unless you do the kind using inductors and resistors too. The varitone I usually think of is a fixed treble cut using 5-11 capacitors so essentially it would be non-adjustable increments of treble cut i think. Sure you could solder it to a tone pot for the control but here's some other suggestions below.

here's three ideas without getting into wiring mods for pickups , both are dirt cheap to make. TBX wise go with the super tbx that is on google apparently it's better but unless you got an electronic store down the road (or access to ebay and lots of patience) it can be a headache to do.

this uses a regular tone knob (treble cut) and a fender greasebucket (bass cut) as master tones and has a 7 way mod. An extra capacitor (0.1uf) and a 1/4 watt metal film resistor (4.7k ) are much much cheaper than a 10-ish dollar blend pot. This is a custom diagram I've put in many guitars by the way. I did this in photoshop myself modifying an existing diagram.

this is a mid scoop / boost , the components are listed. I included how to work with the audio transformer and all too.

and finally .. the super tbx, usually I tin contacts before soldering in components but don't do that with this and it saves you a lot of time.
(Invalid img)
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jul 28, 2015,
what's 7-way switching? i'm guessing all 3 on at once, and bridge + neck? if so, that'd be cool.

some form of series wiring is nice if you want a bit more output. bridge + middle probably the main one, neck + middle is handy too, and all 3 if you have a spare setting on your switch.

make sure you wire the tone knob to your bridge pickup. maybe a no-load tone pot?

separate tones might actually be handy since I find I use the tone knob on a strat bridge pickup but not so much on the other pickups. But that might just be me. If I could be bothered I'd probably have one tone knob (no load) for the bridge and the other tone knob for both the neck and middle pickups.

what's the tbx? I've heard the name before but I'm drawing a blank.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah thats 7 way switching for the first one, david gilmours black strat for example is famous for it

the TBX is a blend knob with two values, pretty much think of it as two pots stacked which is why you got two sets of potentiometer contacts.

TBX stands for treble bass expander , its passive and cuts the bass or treble depending on how you use it. Idealistically you want it at 5 (50%) so you're neither cutting bass or treble which is why I suggested in the diagram doing a bass cut and treble cut individually as it affects all 3 pickups and you can do both at the same time if you'd want.
^ Thanks
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?