This is a discount pack of strings that can be bought from walmart for 2 bucks. I have used them and they seem OK to me. I however am a absolute beginner. I wonder if anyone else has experienced these strings and has an opinion.

From my limited knowledge here is my review.

They seem ok for the price. The package says made in China with US Steel I believe. I did have an issue with the high e that I may have cut too short. The string kept slipping and unraveling when i tried to tune it. I really think this was operator error as this was only the third time I have ever changed strings. Other than that they have performed well enough for me. Seem to stay in tune as much as my old strings did. I noticed that the string some times turn dark or black. I don't was my hands prior to practicing. The strings are Nickel plated Steel.

I used to work at a supplement manufacturer. One of their marketing strategies was to package the same supplements under different brands. One that was well known and rather pricey (Source Naturals) and the other some strange brand witch I don't recall that sold for a lot less on the shelf. Basically no matter which you brand you picked the manufacturer made a sale and profit sometimes big some times less. I wonder if it is the same for these strings. Who really knows I have not done the research.

Anyway... Does anyone with more playing experience use these or have you used these? 1.99 a pack at walmart. for 10-46
A crazy 1.50 a pack at musicians friend!
I play on a guitar with no name. I think I will call her Arcane.

Guitars

Arcane (My mystery 6 string HSS Strat type)

J. Reynolds (6 String SSS Strat type)

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Last edited by panoussigabriel at Jul 28, 2015,
I have used them with decent results, but I buy them from musiciansfriend when I get them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have used them with decent results, but I buy them from musiciansfriend when I get them.

Thanks! I actually just noticed that Musicians Friend site had a ton of reviews for these things. I did a search for Musicians Gear Guitar String Review and did not get many hits. There is a you tube review that comes up. Anyway people seem mostly pleased with these strings. Makes it a huge win for me. Sounds like there more than adequate for practice. Of course if I was a famous Musician OR playing at Warped tour (I just went with the little one) I would probably throw some more well known strings on my Gibson.

For most people though I think these strings are bad ass. Now if they made bullet tip that would be awesome!

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Quote by panoussigabriel
Thanks! I actually just noticed that Musicians Friend site had a ton of reviews for these things. I did a search for Musicians Gear Guitar String Review and did not get many hits. There is a you tube review that comes up. Anyway people seem mostly pleased with these strings. Makes it a huge win for me. Sounds like there more than adequate for practice. Of course if I was a famous Musician OR playing at Warped tour (I just went with the little one) I would probably throw some more well known strings on my Gibson.

For most people though I think these strings are bad ass. Now if they made bullet tip that would be awesome!

I typically use Ernie Ball or D'adario strings, but the guitars I have used the MG strings seem to work fine also. I actually have an acoustic set still laying around I bought last aug. But since they are in a vacuume sealed inner pack they will be just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any ideas on the darkening of the strings? Is this due to the acids in the skin? Like I said I don't wash my hands before I play.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Quote by panoussigabriel
Any ideas on the darkening of the strings? Is this due to the acids in the skin? Like I said I don't wash my hands before I play.

It maybe. I have not had any issues like that, and I have used 8-9 sets of the 10-46 over the span of a couple years on 2 of my cheaper guitars.

Do you wipe your strings/guitar after your done?

I also use GHS fast fret on occasion which helps the strings stay fresher longer.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly Thanks for the comments. I know Ernie Ball is insanely popular. So I was at guitar center and I noticed that the guitar the guy was doing a set up job on was an Ernie Ball! "Holy shit" I said "I did not know Ernie ball made guitars!" He said "Yea, they make awesome guitars but their strings are not so good."
I thought to my self but they are so damn popular. My first set of strings I replaced I did with Ernie ball strings. They felt fine to me and you know I asked for Ernie ball because they were so damn popular. I guess everyone has a preference.
As for me for now I will use the cheapos until I notice a difference. Right now frankly I am too new at this to notice a difference or know what to look for.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Quote by Robbgnarly
It maybe. I have not had any issues like that, and I have used 8-9 sets of the 10-46 over the span of a couple years on 2 of my cheaper guitars.

Do you wipe your strings/guitar after your done?

I also use GHS fast fret on occasion which helps the strings stay fresher longer.

No I don't do that but you know its a smart idea. I think I will do that from now on. Makes sense to me. I need some better practices i.e. wash hands before and wipe strings after.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Quote by panoussigabriel
No I don't do that but you know its a smart idea. I think I will do that from now on. Makes sense to me. I need some better practices i.e. wash hands before and wipe strings after.

yeah it is good practice, even though 90% of the time I don't wipe mine down

But the GHS fast fret helps out a lot.

You may want to look at Gorgomyte wipes for your fretboard/frets. It is the best easiest cleaner I have ever used
http://www.gorgomyte.com/

GHS is lisensed to make/sell it now, but the GHS is more expensive so I just use the JJ's Gorgomyte since it is the original and cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah it is good practice, even though 90% of the time I don't wipe mine down

But the GHS fast fret helps out a lot.

You may want to look at Gorgomyte wipes for your fretboard/frets. It is the best easiest cleaner I have ever used
http://www.gorgomyte.com/

GHS is lisensed to make/sell it now, but the GHS is more expensive so I just use the JJ's Gorgomyte since it is the original and cheaper

So these are for finished fret boards too? One of our guitars is the standard unfinished rosewood the other is a finished maple fret board. I have also heard of a you tuber who recommends a product called NAPTHA.

I am very hesitant to use a product like that on a lacquered fret board. Well on a guitar period. there are other laquered and clear coated parts on the guitar and they probably require a proper cleaner.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Looks like a yes on the maple fret board. I read their FAQ.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
yeah it is pretty good

Naptha is a solvent that dries very quickly and does not leave a residue behind, not a bad product to have around in the garage.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I started using the Musicians Gear strings that I buy from Musicians Friend about 6 months ago. They normally sell for about $2.50 a pack but they are on sale (today) at $1.50 per pack. I find them just as good and nearly the same as my Ernie Ball Slinky's. Since I play a lot of outdoor gigs this time of year I change strings a lot on the guitars I gig with so this is a nice deal. I tend to sweat a bit at outdoor gigs and two or three days of playing often kills the strings. At this price a nice new bright set at $2.50 (or $1.50) is great for me.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 28, 2015,
Naptha is lighter fluid basically but you are right that it cleans great and dries almost instantly. The luthier I apprentice with uses it quite a bit especially when wiping down necks after any filing of frets is done. It's good at picking up little fret file dust. Don't forget that it is highly flammable so use it sparingly in a well ventilated area.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
It's the same with the strings business. Some companies make them for themselves, others make them for themselves and for others, and other companies don't make anything and just buy them and market them. I prefer to buy from the companies that actually make strings and don't just market stuff others make. And I prefer to buy from smaller companies and not the giant ones. I can't think of a reason to buy Chinese strings, no matter how cheap. I'd rather support US workers.

Strings usually discolor with use, not blacken. So something tells me that the materials they are using are not up to par. They're probably not nickel-plated after all.
Strings for practicing, not too concerned about having best tone... yeah, go for some cheapies if you are just noodling on a budget.

I'm one of those oddballs who uses Fender brand nickel-plated strings. I used D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS Boomers, and other brands in the past. I like the Fender strings, so that's what I've been using for a number of years now. Yes, even on my Gibson guitars. I haven't tried the pure nickel strings, is likely on my agenda next time I order strings.

Use what you like, or what works for your purpose/need. Different players have different tastes and needs.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
So I think the general consensus from what I have read here and on other sites is that they are decent in quality not complete trash strings.

Good points brought up about a US manufacturer for a few bucks more. The package says something about made with US Steel that to me has a broad meaning. Could it be our recycled paper clips and lawn furniture? I don't know however, I cant figure how its cost effect to ship prime US steel to China to manufacture only to send it back to us.

For now I have no choice and I am thankful its an option. I am certain one day I find my favorite as I develop.

I did notice something though. On one of my more fancy guitar tuners I downloaded for Android when I strum the low e it also picks up another note. I don't remember which one of hand I will futz with it in the next few days and see if I can get that info.

Now I am fairly certain my last set of strings (that cam with the used guitar) did not do this.

So in conclusion I think these strings are somewhere between 1. Its a lot better than using my old shoe strings to try to string this guitar. to 2. These are an acceptable replacement for guitar practice. I have to say for a few bucks more I would personally go with Ernie Ball or something that says Fender bullet because I am kinda sucked into Brand recognition.

Guitars

Amps

Axtron GA-10
Last edited by panoussigabriel at Aug 2, 2015,
I don't use anything but Elixir Nanowebs. I've tried D'Addario, Ernie Balls, Gibson Brite Wires, and I just get fed up with them only lasting a couple weeks before going dead. I've just replaced a set of Elixirs on my Gus-600 that I've had on there for nearly a year that was still outperforming some two week old D'Addarios I've got on my Les Paul right now. I love the smooth feel of the Elixirs as-well. As far as I'm concerned, Elixirs are one of the best things ever, since like, the Floyd Rose was invented. I should really get payed for all the free promo I do for Elixir, but they really are the best thing ever.
Last edited by dragonzrmetal at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by panoussigabriel

Wash your hands before you play and wipe down the strings afterward. Don't leave your guitar out on a stand; put it back in the case. And to slow the corrosion down, put a VCI in the case with your guitar (http://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Frog-Emitter-Cup-P24.aspx )

Some folks have more acidic sweat than others. You're just going to have to change the strings more often.

On the guitars I use most often, I use cheap strings and change them often; for a long time GHS Boomers filled that role. They were also rebranded by Carvin and available in multi-packs pretty inexpensively. I'd stock up when they had a sale.

When I've got a gig or want to treat myself, I'll spend about five bucks on a better set of strings (For me, those are Dean Markley Blue Steel -- the ones that have been dipped in liquid nitrogen). They're usually a bit brighter and last a bit longer.
Nothing but D'Addario. They're less than $5 a pack and are the single most consistent strings I've ever used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by panoussigabriel

Good points brought up about a US manufacturer for a few bucks more. The package says something about made with US Steel that to me has a broad meaning. Could it be our recycled paper clips and lawn furniture? I don't know however, I cant figure how its cost effect to ship prime US steel to China to manufacture only to send it back to us. I have to say for a few bucks more I would personally go with Ernie Ball or something that says Fender bullet because I am kinda sucked into Brand recognition.

I don't bother with "US made" or US steel, etc. I'm not sure what "broad meaning" you're attaching to US Steel -- you need to catch up on the history of steel in the US, cause it's a bit political. Prior to WW II, US Steel was a big deal. The big bucks owners of steel mills didn't bother to upgrade their inefficient converters. Instead, they put money into politicians who put a tariff on foreign steel, allowing US steel manufacturers to charge more. After WWII, the US government helped Japan and German steel industries install brand new converters that were far more efficient than US steel, but the owners of the US steel mills kept paying politicians rather than installing new gear.

At one point, the auto industry had finally had enough. Both the japanese and german auto industries were beginning to smoke them because they could buy cheaper steel, while the US auto industry had to pay high US prices. So now the auto industry was pressuring congress to LOWER or eliminate tariffs, while the fat cat US Steel owners were pressuring for higher tariffs (and needed to charge higher prices on US steel due to inefficient converters). The auto manufacturers won, US steel finally had to face competition, US unions couldn't deal with it and the steel industry largely collapsed.

I don't support branding very often, and don't buy Fender strings (occasionally Ernie Balls). Branding's good if you don't want to THINK about what's better and if you have no clue what you're actually buying OR what you're supporting when you buy the brand.

It's good for the people who are doing the branding. Not for you.

The Ford Fusion, for example, is an "American" car that contains mostly foreign parts and is built offshore. Ditto the Chevy Avro. Meanwhile, the Honda Civic is one of the most American cars around, built in the US and using 78% or so made-in-north-america parts.

Don't get suckered by branding.
The longer you play guitar the more you discover your own personal preferences and loyalty to certain brands. D'addario strings rust on me before Iv'e finished restringing with them, they don't like me. I have used slinky's when I can't get my preferred string but find myself not playing the guitars they are on, I'm a die hard dean markley fan for last 35 years and current faves are Helix 9-42. Awesome.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.