Hi lately i've been reading in a lot of forums guys saying that they busted their LP headstock with a bend on the G string or something like that. Im an agressive player (SRV style) and i was thinking of buying an LP so is this true? is a Les Paul a fragile guitar? i dont wanna cry over a 1500$ broken guitar so...
I've never heard this in my life. That is ridiculous. Bending any string should be considered regular playing. If the Les Paul couldn't do that, they wouldn't have sold so crazy for what, 60 years?
I think these guys are dropping the guitars on the head and lying about it because they don't want to look dumb.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I heavily doubt that the neck ever breaks from bending unless it's seriously damaged already. My first guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul which I still have and play quite a lot, seems like very sturdy peace of wood.
Quote by ryanbwags
I've never heard this in my life. That is ridiculous. Bending any string should be considered regular playing. If the Les Paul couldn't do that, they wouldn't have sold so crazy for what, 60 years?
I think these guys are dropping the guitars on the head and lying about it because they don't want to look dumb.

This, or thinking that a hardcase is like Captain America's shield, and thus you can chuck it around like you're a courier on your last day and it's a package marked "FRAGILE".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I've heard of bending the neck by pushing forward on it to detune a little bit, which does work, and they've broke it. But I have never heard of someone bending a string and the headstock just falling off.
Quote by adelino316
Im an agressive player (SRV style)
Get a Strat then
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
You can break a LP headstock if you bash it repeatedly on the ground. Never gonna happen from bending a string. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 28, 2015,
uh.. no. not true. lp's are tanks. i've played hardcore punk and extreme deathmetal gigs with mine (71' custom) for years. had it strung with 13's for a while and have been airborne with it once or twice.

saw chris cornell of soundgarden breaking one once. it was a custom and the guitar gods have a special kind of hell waiting on him for doing that. it took him like 10 minutes of steady overhead pounding to the stage floor to finally separate the neck.

they are not bullet proof though. if you hit one on the head really hard you'll probably crack something but this it true with pretty much all guitars. sg's are a bit more fragile, but you're not going to break any guitar headstock by bending a string. you will only break the string and one of the ends will poke you in the eye.
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 28, 2015,
Quote by adelino316
Hi lately i've been reading in a lot of forums guys saying that they busted their LP headstock with a bend on the G string or something like that. Im an agressive player (SRV style) and i was thinking of buying an LP so is this true? is a Les Paul a fragile guitar? i dont wanna cry over a 1500$ broken guitar so...

LP-style headstocks are the most-broken headstock out there, followed by "tilted pointies," which seem to separate between the two furthest tuners with great regularity.

It's a poor design, but there's no *guarantee* it will break.

If you're an aggressive player, you'll likely never break one while playing, unless you're also a stupid player.
If you mistakenly drop a les paul, the chances of the headstock breaking off are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that of a strat. Its just built that way. Trust me, I've had the wind blow over my les paul in its soft case, and found the headstock broken off right before a gig. Fun times.
they are known to break if dropped or whacked. gibson tried to deal with this by adding the volute but that didn't help much.

iirc the op seems to be concerned that by bending a string he/she will break the headstock off. to that end i think not.

""saying that they busted their LP headstock with a bend on the G string or something like that.""
Quote by ad_works
they are known to break if dropped or whacked. gibson tried to deal with this by adding the volute but that didn't help much.

iirc the op seems to be concerned that by bending a string he/she will break the headstock off. to that end i think not.

""saying that they busted their LP headstock with a bend on the G string or something like that.""

I watched a guy playing an LP one night, who was doing very well until he suddenly realized that the guitar was going flat. He looked down at his picking hand, and then at his fretting hand (which was fretting loose strings) and then, in horror, at his headstock, which had very quietly tilted about an inch forward.

I won't tell you that it was his playing that broke it, but it was absolutely true that it broke WHILE he was playing.

Check the bottom of the guitar and then notice that when the guitar is lying on its back, it's supported at two spots. The bottom of the body and the tip of the headstock... If that headstock makes contact with the case, chances are very good that you're going to open that case one day and find the headstock broken...

^ wow
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I won't tell you that it was his playing that broke it, but it was absolutely true that it broke WHILE he was playing.

More accurately, the break became obvious while he was playing it. The fatal damage could have occurred previously- a partial, but unnoticeable fracture that only as he played did the break complete.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
More accurately, the break became obvious while he was playing it. The fatal damage could have occurred previously- a partial, but unnoticeable fracture that only as he played did the break complete.

It's like being in a waiting room somewhere. In comes a fatty, sits down, and there's an audible crack, but the chair doesn't collapse. They leave, an hour later, in comes a beanpole. Sits in the same chair, and it falls apart.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I wouldn't have put it like that, but yeah.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I like to talk about fat people to make myself feel slim.

I've turned into a bit of a podger this year.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I'm a walking lard bucket.

Quote by dspellman

Check the bottom of the guitar and then notice that when the guitar is lying on its back, it's supported at two spots. The bottom of the body and the tip of the headstock... If that headstock makes contact with the case, chances are very good that you're going to open that case one day and find the headstock broken...

in a gibson cali-girl case the neck shaft is supported within the case and the headstock floats free. the padding underneath the body tilts upward towards the heel to seat the neck parallel. i can't speak for other brands of case. so buyers of non-gibson cases check it out first and don't buy the case if it closes on the headstock.

anyone who owns a lp knows that when you put it down you either put it on the top of the case with the head hanging off, back in the case, up on a hanger, or put it on a stand. this is common sense. or uncommon apparently. whichever comes first. i would think common sense is well, common but maybe actually uncommon sense is the new common denominator?

anyway, i own one so your argument is weak .
Last edited by ad_works at Jul 28, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

pikky Pikky PIKKY.
I am nothing if not pedantic.

Quote by ad_works

anyway, i own one so your argument is weak .

But my kung fu is strong.

I own several. I tiptoe around them. So much easier on my psyche to bang the Agiles around. My L5S has a multi-piece (maple and something else) neck, and I get the feeling that it would take almost anything you could throw at it. The SG2000 would probably damage the floor before IT would break. OTOH, the old AR-300 won't have headstock problems, but it WILL separate neck and body if shipped improperly. It seems to do it right at the glue join, so a simple re-glue will fix things (sometimes), but you do want to pack them carefully.

I think the other thing that happens is gold old-fashioned whiplash. You can almost see a headstock break coming when the case goes over on its back. It's one of those slow-motion Ohhhhhhhhhhhh h nnooooooooooooooo moments.
i've known many owners of les pauls, and not one has ever broken a headstock. any guitar's headstock can be broken, damaged and then broken all the way later or if you fly with a regular case instead of a flight case. don't lean any guitar against the wall where it can fall over, don't run it over with a car, leave it in a stand at the top of the stairs (i know two guys who did that, only to have their guitars fall downstairs) and use a well-fitting flight case if you're flying.

as far as bending strings HARD, the only way that's going to break the headstock is if it's already quite damaged from mistreatment. i've seen pros, amateurs, pals and my husband bend strings far on les pauls, but never seen one break.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
FWIW, gregs1020 had a Tokai LP that he broke the headstock on, then got it repaired. I called it his "Brokai".

Just keep in mind boys and girls that the most famous and cherished Les Paul of all (Green-Moore) has had its headstock busted at least once and possibly twice (once in a car accident) and is worth easily a million bucks and sounds awesome for all of its traumas...
Quote by dspellman
I watched a guy playing an LP one night, who was doing very well until he suddenly realized that the guitar was going flat. He looked down at his picking hand, and then at his fretting hand (which was fretting loose strings) and then, in horror, at his headstock, which had very quietly tilted about an inch forward.

I'd easily believe it was cracked already and he didn't notice but once he started playing it then finished cracking.
There was a period of time awhile back when Gibson's case subcontractor made cases that did allow the headstock to touch the back of the case IIRC and many had the issue you described from it.
Moving on.....

Quote by ad_works
uh.. no. not true. lp's are tanks. i've played hardcore punk and extreme deathmetal gigs with mine (71' custom) for years. had it strung with 13's for a while and have been airborne with it once or twice.

saw chris cornell of soundgarden breaking one once. it was a custom and the guitar gods have a special kind of hell waiting on him for doing that. it took him like 10 minutes of steady overhead pounding to the stage floor to finally separate the neck.

they are not bullet proof though. if you hit one on the head really hard you'll probably crack something but this it true with pretty much all guitars. sg's are a bit more fragile, but you're not going to break any guitar headstock by bending a string. you will only break the string and one of the ends will poke you in the eye.

This is why I am typing this in braille. Still have a working LP though so at least I have that going for me.
I have been playing 40+ years (many road gigs) and have owned several Gibson Les Paul's s over the years and currently own four Epiphone Les Paul's, a Les Paul style Agile 2000, my 1976 Ibanez Les Paul copy and several Chibson knockoffs, I have never personally seen a Les Paul headstock broken. I'm sure it happens but I think they are much more durable than many people think. I think as mentioned above your choice of cases is a major factor. A generic case that doesn't angle the neck and body correctly is a recipe for disaster if it is dropped oR mishandled.

The only time I saw a player break a neck on stage was a Hofner (McCartney style) bass in the hands of a very aggressive bass player. Sorry to admit it but it was funny looking over and seeing him standing there in the middle of a song with a neck in one hand and the body still strapped around his shoulder.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 30, 2015,
Les Pauls are pretty indestructible. I've never managed to dent one. There's no points stick out asking to be broken off. I play pretty aggressive with mine, I like bending the neck a la Slash/Lee. The only real thing with them is the headstock; the Gibson headstocks are weaker than the Epiphone headstocks. Not only due to having a greater angle meaning a greater resultant force if it falls over, but more so that the truss rod cavity is larger, so there is less wood around the nut. My Epiphone has taken a couple knocks to the headstock anyway and isn't any worse off for it. No idea how well a Gibson would hold up in comparision as I don't have one of my own.