Hey guys,

I been recently looking into upgrading to a larger interface for doing better recordings of my band's jams and hopefully for some proper demos in the future. Whilst perusing my local Kijiji, I've come across the Presonus Firestudio Project, M Audio Profire 2626 and the M Audio Project Mix I/O. All three of these are sitting around the $300-$400 CAD range and I'm just looking for some thoughts and opinions from anyone who may have had experience with them.

I am also open to suggestions on anything else I should be looking at, I live in Canada and I've got a budget of up to around $600. My DAW of choice is Reason 8.3 and occasionally I'll also use GarageBand and Logic 9 Express.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I'd say get a firewire one if you have a firewire card into your PC. I've worked with the FS Project, pretty solid piece of kit. Recorded one album on two of these chained together.
M-Audio I'm not crazy about (had a few of their smaller ones with awfully buggy drivers) but I think you can run Pro Fools on it so that is a plus. I think the Profire is the better one of the two. I'd go for the FS Project, I'm still running its older sibling, the FP10
Make sure you have drivers for what you'll need.
I agree not even the best m-audio interfaces weren't that good.

I'd rather find a mackie onyx blackbird.
Drivers need some fixing from the user part to work (mac os x stopped working with drivers that weren't signed in a certain way, which mackie didn't release) tho after fixing a couple things they work just fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I agree not even the best m-audio interfaces weren't that good.

I'd rather find a mackie onyx blackbird.
Drivers need some fixing from the user part to work (mac os x stopped working with drivers that weren't signed in a certain way, which mackie didn't release) tho after fixing a couple things they work just fine.

This was my first thought as I already have the Blackjack and have found it to be a solid device but after reading about the driver issues with the Blackbird and Yosemite I'm a little gun shy. Sure there's a workaround now but what happens when Apple releases their next OS? I don't want to be forced to either stop my OS updates or turf the interface a year down the road.

Also, doesn't the dev code workaround open you up to some security risks?
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Sure there's a workaround now but what happens when Apple releases their next OS?
It will likely be the same.
I agree you can't be sure, tho that interface sounds good enough to me that I'd take the risk.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
I don't want to be forced to either stop my OS updates or turf the interface a year down the road.
Having the latest OS is cool and everything, but I'd much rather be able to work properly than being able to try that new feature they added or copied from iOS.

If for you it's a necessity to keep updating the OS, then this might not be the thing for you.
If it's not I'd consider the possibility of buying it and then settling on a particular version of mac os.
Quote by KillRoy Ver 3.0
Also, doesn't the dev code workaround open you up to some security risks?
Pretty close to no risks unless you like installing stuff you don't know the provenience of, and even then you're every bit as secure as you were with mavericks.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Fair enough. Have you had any experience with the Presonus compared to the Blackbird? The price on the Presonus has gone down to $250 and I could probably talk him down whereas the Blackbird is $600 new. There was one that popped up on Kijiji but by the time I got in touch it was gone already. Do you think it's worth the extra $350+?