Hello,
I recently changed my pickups in a Harley Benton EX-84. At the first couple of days the sound was pretty good. But then, by no reason, the strings were not grounded any more. I have soldered everything again and the bridge is still not grounded. With my finger, I touched every where in the guitar to see what areas were grounded, even the insides. Every thing seems nicely grounded, and I noticed that the lower screw of the bridge is grounded too. But then, the remaining parts of the bridge are not.

Any idea to solve this?
I am really out of ideas to make it to work.

Miguel Roldão.
Do you conclude that they are *not* grounded because you get more/less noise by touching the parts? For noise shielding, a connection to ground might actually be there but not low enough resistance to prevent noise pickup. This is an ongoing problem with my gear also. That is what seems to be the case from your description. Metal to metal contact will be electrically connected, but may still not be low enough resistance.

I have considered adding better connection (using un-fluxed 'solder-wick' copper braid), but there will still be limitations. If your system sounded good, but then did not, can you think of anything else on your electrical power system that might have changed (i.e. a neighbour using power tools)?
I would start from the root of the problem and work back..

1. Have you tried your equipment plugged into another mains supply?
2. Have you checked the earth on the amp you are using?
3. Have you replaced or changed the guitar lead?
4. Have you tried changing the audio sockets on both the amp and guitar?
Quote by miguelroldao9
Hello,
I recently changed my pickups in a Harley Benton EX-84. At the first couple of days the sound was pretty good. But then, by no reason, the strings were not grounded any more. I have soldered everything again and the bridge is still not grounded.

hardley bentups are a special case. You need to run a 16 gauge wire from the bridge (you may need to solder it on) to a metal pipe, preferably one that extends at least 6' into the ground. It's important that you have a really good connection between wire and pipe.

At that point you are well and truly grounded.

You still need to make sure that every other piece of metal in that guitar is connected to that wire (preferably through the bridge, of course).

Then and ONLY then can you play outdoor concerts with those guitars.
Thank you all for fast replies. I'm sure that it is not a problem of my other gear as my other guitars work perfectly. By the way, I'm playing the guitar through a zoom G3. All connections look well soldered. Yes, the bridge wire is connected to the back of a pot.

Tomorrow (in a few hours ) I will post a labeled photo so you understand the "groundings" of the bridge
Quote by dspellman
hardley bentups are a special case. You need to run a 16 gauge wire from the bridge (you may need to solder it on) to a metal pipe, preferably one that extends at least 6' into the ground. It's important that you have a really good connection between wire and pipe.

At that point you are well and truly grounded.

You still need to make sure that every other piece of metal in that guitar is connected to that wire (preferably through the bridge, of course).

Then and ONLY then can you play outdoor concerts with those guitars.

Can you better explain your idea? I didn't understand that metal pipe.
Quote by miguelroldao9
Can you better explain your idea? I didn't understand that metal pipe.

Okay, okay, *I* thought it was funny...