Page 1 of 2
Been researching for a while and everything points me to this amp. However, I keep reading some negative comments which makes me think twice.

So the question is, are all those negative comments about this amp true? Does it actually have issues? Can they be easily fixed?

I'm after a Heavy Metal amp, but on a budget - so Mesa and the like are out of the question.

Lastly - should I get the Peavey 6505+ combo OR the EVH 5150 III combo? Which is better?
Quote by MetalLicker88
I'm after a Heavy Metal amp, but on a budget - so Mesa and the like are out of the question.

The 6505+ combo is pretty much the best metal amp you can get for the money.

Quote by MetalLicker88
Lastly - should I get the Peavey 6505+ combo OR the EVH 5150 III combo? Which is better?

Not played one myself, but a quick Google shows that it is around £300 more expensive so they aren't exactly in the same price bracket.
Thanks guys. My budget is around the $1200 - $1500 Australian dollars, after a combo for home gig only, and playing practically only Metal (Metallica mainly).

Random3, but are all those negatives about this amp actually true? For example, I read they have overheating issues, sometimes the sound fades out, people having to return it shortly after buying, etc., etc.. Any amp can be a bad apple, when you read it over and over again.... makes you wonder.

This really sounds like the amp for me, but would like some advice and someone to put my mind at ease
Last edited by MetalLicker88 at Jul 28, 2015,
I had the amp for a couple of years and only sold it to upgrade to the half stack. The only problems were that it needed a tube and speaker swap to be optimal, which I would recommend but isn't absolutely necessary. Never had or heard of any of the issues you posted, and I did a fair amount of research before buying it myself. Every amp can potentially go bad but I wasn't aware that this amp was particularly prone to it like, say, the Bugera clone from what I hear.
Cool. Then it must just be me focussing negatives!

I did read something about that since this has started being made overseas, the quality has dropped. I guess this depends again on the batch.

So looks like you've convinced me Random3 - unless anyone else would like to object?!
Mine has served me very well for about 4 years. It can use some upgrades for sure, but if you do it over time it can be a very enjoyable experience. When I first got mine, I was absolutely floored by it when it was completely stock. I couldn't believe how loud, brutal, and MEAN it sounded. Over time, I started to learn about ways to make it better and better.

If you've hung out here for awhile you'll see that I've done a lot of posts on this amp. You name it, I've probably done it to the 6505+ 112. Mine is currently modded into a head running a 412 cabinet, effects loop is modded/corrected to eliminate the buffer, and the lead channel is modded to original 5150 specs (basically takes a mean amp and makes it even more pissed-off). I also did a treble-bleed mod which made a very subtle difference. I've even modded the EQ section to shift the mids down a little in frequency -- but I ended up going back to stock on that.

Anyway, if you get an OD pedal, EQ pedal in the loop, and some nice tubes, it'll scream. A nice speaker like a Celestion V 30, Eminence Governor, or Swamp Thang will help a lot too.

As for issues, every issue I've had was either a tube having gone bad (happens to all tube amps), or very minor parts replacement. I had some diodes go bad (they cost about 10 cents each, lol). I had to do some research on how to replace them, but once I did that it was golden. That opened the door to all the modding I've done...lol.

One thing though, if Metallica is your primary goal for tone -- then I'd look at other amps as well. The Peavey will do it quite easily, but the lead channel is pretty much beyond Metallica levels of gain/brootz. You'd probably be using the rhythm channel w/ crunch engaged for that.

I'm sure there are some Jet City amps that might fit the bill even better.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
+1 to the JSX

I may be wrong but that EVH 5150 probably isn't too different from the 6505?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by KailM
Mine has served me very well for about 4 years. It can use some upgrades for sure, but if you do it over time it can be a very enjoyable experience. When I first got mine, I was absolutely floored by it when it was completely stock. I couldn't believe how loud, brutal, and MEAN it sounded. Over time, I started to learn about ways to make it better and better.

Sold again! Thanks.

We are talking about the combo here though right?

Metallica is my main game however I would like higher gain available for when I'm feeling dirty!

Just a side question, and sorry if this is a noob question, but when I was jamming back in the 90's I always used a "distortion" pedal to get my distortion. But amps like our friend the 6505+ have this distortion built in.

So what's the difference with having a pedal and the built-in "dirty" channel? And would you recommend I still get a distortion pedal to put in front?

Cheers
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL head and then a decent 2x12 cab. That or a used Peavey JSX/XXX.

I'll look into this - haven't looked at this yet.
as long as you never have the desire to play cleans.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Quote by MetalLicker88
Sold again! Thanks.

Metallica is my main game however I would like higher gain available for when I'm feeling dirty!

Just a side question, and sorry if this is a noob question, but when I was jamming back in the 90's I always used a "distortion" pedal to get my distortion. But amps like our friend the 6505+ have this distortion built in.

So what's the difference with having a pedal and the built-in "dirty" channel? And would you recommend I still get a distortion pedal to put in front?

Cheers

I have a few questions/comments here:

1. Are we talking about old Cliff Burton Metallica, Black - Reload "Metallica", or newer Death Magnetic Metallica? The Crunch channel/button will get you by well, especially for the old boosted Marshall sound (Kill'em All, Lightning). Just watch the gain on the Lead (Red) channel. Start at 2 or 3 and see how it sounds. I can't go above 6 on mine.

2. The Distortion pedal for the 6505+ is the Channel Select to Red or engage the Crunch. You don't need a distortion pedal - use the amp. I like my 5150 (same as 6505 without the +) with a tubescreamer set as a boost (level 10, Gain 0) to tighten things up.

3. Alternatives you may like are indeed the JSX (now the XXX II). You can get a used combo for around $400 +/-. Carvin V3 may work as well but this is just hearsay on my part. The Marshall DSL are a good call too.

There are a bunch of changes you can do for the 6505 family and like Kailm said, you can do them one at time, over time.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
I have a few questions/comments here:

1. Are we talking about old Cliff Burton Metallica, Black - Reload "Metallica", or newer Death Magnetic Metallica? The Crunch channel/button will get you by well, especially for the old boosted Marshall sound (Kill'em All, Lightning). Just watch the gain on the Lead (Red) channel. Start at 2 or 3 and see how it sounds. I can't go above 6 on mine.

2. The Distortion pedal for the 6505+ is the Channel Select to Red or engage the Crunch. You don't need a distortion pedal - use the amp. I like my 5150 (same as 6505 without the +) with a tubescreamer set as a boost (level 10, Gain 0) to tighten things up.

3. Alternatives you may like are indeed the JSX (now the XXX II). You can get a used combo for around $400 +/-. Carvin V3 may work as well but this is just hearsay on my part. The Marshall DSL are a good call too.

There are a bunch of changes you can do for the 6505 family and like Kailm said, you can do them one at time, over time.

1. Mostly more on the older albums up to Black / Reload.

2. I was hoping I would need a pedal I've always liked the convenience of turning distortion on / off with my foot. Or this what a foot switch is for?

3. Will definitely look into them. I've just heard Marshalls are more for rock. Mind you I used to play out of a Marshall years ago with a distortion pedal and it sounded great.

How dirty is the 6505+ (combo) clean channel? Is it really that "dirty" that I can't get a good clean sound?
I didn't like my 6505 plus 1x12 combo and sold it after about 8 months and bought a Carvin V3m , cleans were terrible on the 6505 + and I wasn't crazy about the mild crunch either , but in all fairness I never changed the speaker , tubes or did any mods like KailM
Quote by MetalLicker88
Sold again! Thanks.

Cheers

You will not need a distortion pedal at all. Ive never heard a distortion pedal of any kind that can match the lead channel. You will need a footswitch though to switch between lead and rhythm channels, as well as switch the crunch on the rhythm channel on or off (my boss fs-6 basically makes it a three channel amp). Most people use an overdrive pedal to boost the lead or rhythm channel, but that is not really for more gain, its to focus the low end and add bite. There is more than enough gain for death metal with the gain on the amp set to halfway.

As for cleans, I have no problem getting crystal clear cleans/no breakup whatsoever. The trick is to use slightly lower gain tubes in v1 and the phase inverter position. I use JJ 5751s. There is still plenty of gain, rest assured. It also helps to back your guitar's volume knob off a bit.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 29, 2015,
here are a list of things wrong with the 6505+ no one seems to remmber when buying. the speaker sucks, I have no idea why peavey uses these piles of dung for one of their flag ship amps i guess they gotta stick them somewhere right? Second unless you go used your gonna need a retube i guess they like using the crappiest tubes possible and rely on its name alone to sell the amplifier. total cost of upgrades comes out to about 900 bucks. then you need a tubescreamer and decimator so now if you gone used you are now in the hole for a whopping $1200 if you go new and do the work yourself. tl:dr if you go used and get a 6505+ 212 or grab the head and decent cab if you cant find a 120w combo with greenbacks for about 900 for the head and 212 cab. you can save some serious money. other options include the jsx/xxx used mesa fseries/dc/express if cost is prohibitive.

edit
want to play metalica type tones go grab a used mesa mark 3 combo that will spank the 6505 all day long for those types of tones that should cost 800 bucks still cheaper then all the upgrades to a 6505
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jul 28, 2015,
losing battle - i agree and disagree with many things you said. i don't view an OD and noise reduction pedal to be sunk funds. most people need them anyway, and you would probably want them for the next amp.

if you keep the stock parts and if you get rid of it put the stock shit back in (original tubes, speaker) if you decide to sell it. while you may not need the upgrades, a few 12AX7's and an extra speaker sitting around (maybe somewhat sunk).

however it does really suck that peavey loads everything up with junk as far as tubes and speakers go. also a MKIII will get you closer to those metallica tones. they can be found cheap. however you still may need an OD, and they are pretty old, and depending on what you get you may need tubes.

there is my $.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by losing battle
here are a list of things wrong with the 6505+ no one seems to remmber when buying. the speaker sucks, I have no idea why peavey uses these piles of dung for one of their flag ship amps i guess they gotta stick them somewhere right? Second unless you go used your gonna need a retube i guess they like using the crappiest tubes possible and rely on its name alone to sell the amplifier. total cost of upgrades comes out to about 900 bucks. then you need a tubescreamer and decimator so now if you gone used you are now in the hole for a whopping $1200 if you go new and do the work yourself. tl:dr if you go used and get a 6505+ 212 or grab the head and decent cab if you cant find a 120w combo with greenbacks for about 900 for the head and 212 cab. you can save some serious money. other options include the jsx/xxx used mesa fseries/dc/express if cost is prohibitive.

edit
want to play metalica type tones go grab a used mesa mark 3 combo that will spank the 6505 all day long for those types of tones that should cost 800 bucks still cheaper then all the upgrades to a 6505

I don't know how you're figuring all of that. I didn't have to spend NEAR that much to get mine sounding a lot better. Eminence speakers are $90 New shipped. All you need is one. Plus, how many people on this board play around experimenting with different speakers? It can be part of the fun. I retubed everything with JJs for less than $100 shipped. What tube amp doesn't need new tubes from time to time anyway? Ever play around with different tube types/brands? It's all part of the fun. The pedals you mentioned can be found on pretty much any high gain player's board, and need not be sold with the amp. FWIW, I don't even need a noise gate for mine unless I'm recording. I would probably have done the same upgrades to any other combo out there. Plus, all of the mods I've done have been negligible on cost. I see this very differently than you, sorry.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jul 29, 2015,
well then its 800 with tubes and speakers. everyone and their mother throws greenbacks in there for some reason that acounts for 60 bucks of the descrepency the tubes for the other 50. The fact that peavey throws the shittiest tubes and speakers possible in with the amp is just an added cost. If you go on the used market you can get lucky and have that already done for you in the 120 combo version or get a head for 500 and a good used 212 for 300 have an amp that will slay the other said amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
^^Uh, the amp we're talking about has just one speaker (which is not as bad as you're making it out to be -- I've certainly tried worse.) And there is no 120 watt 6505 combo, the 212 combos are 60 watts just like the 112. As for those deals like you mentioned, I have yet to find a head that cheap or a cab worth buying for $300. In my neck of the woods you can't touch a Mesa or Marshall cab for less than $500 regardless of condition. Finally, if you're suggesting used, why not a used 6505+ 112? You can get them all day long on GC for $350-400. Put in another $200 in tubes, speaker, and a few cheap mods and you've got a killer amp. Again, with a few easy mods they can sound just like their big brother. Nobody apparently bothers with that though...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 1, 2015,
Quote by losing battle
well then its 800 with tubes and speakers. everyone and their mother throws greenbacks in there for some reason that acounts for 60 bucks of the descrepency the tubes for the other 50. The fact that peavey throws the shittiest tubes and speakers possible in with the amp is just an added cost. If you go on the used market you can get lucky and have that already done for you in the 120 combo version or get a head for 500 and a good used 212 for 300 have an amp that will slay the other said amp.

greenbacks? i always used V30's with them. greenbacks 25 watts a piece, it doesn't add up for his case.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Just my opinion you need a noise suppressor an overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal to go with the 6505 combo. At the very least you will want the noise suppressor and Overdrive.

I just couldn't get the bite and clarity I wanted just straight into the amp, could just be the tubes I have I never replaced them.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
Quote by KailM
Finally, if you're suggesting used, why not a used 6505+ 112? You can get them all day long on GC for $350-400. Put in another $200 in tubes, speaker, and a few cheap mods and you've got a killer amp. Again, with a few easy mods they can sound just like their big brother. Nobody apparently bothers with that though...

When you say 6505+ 112, you're still referring to the combo right?

If a shop offers me a "new" 6505+ 112 combo but is actually out on the floor (so would actually be used to give people demos) - should I still consider it as new?
Quote by MetalLicker88
When you say 6505+ 112, you're still referring to the combo right?

If a shop offers me a "new" 6505+ 112 combo but is actually out on the floor (so would actually be used to give people demos) - should I still consider it as new?

yea, 112 is the combo (1x12" speaker).

a floor model at a store is considered new. i would try to get a new one in a box from the store though.

i have seen quite a few times that GC's guitars are in worse condition than some i have bought used (online and local).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks trashedlostfdup.

now I'm not sure if to go with this "new" floor model or just go used. I'm always worried about buying used electronics.

The plus side to the floor model is that I still get the full warranty. Down side is that I'm paying full price for something that should really be considered used. I don't think they have one out the back in this store.

Is it generally safe to buy amps second hand?
Last edited by MetalLicker88 at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by MetalLicker88
Thanks trashedlostfdup.

now I'm not sure if to go with this "new" floor model or just go used. I'm always worried about buying used electronics.

The plus side to the floor model is that I still get the full warranty. Down side is that I'm paying full price for something that should really be considered used. I don't think they have one out the back in this store.

Is it generally safe to buy amps second hand?

last time i counted, i had ~15 tube amps. i bought 1 of them new, and haven't had a problem. i have had most of these amps for a couple of years, and some much longer. i wouldn't worry about it. i have had to change poser tubes on two of them, but that is to be expected in time.

i personally would not buy a floor model unless they discount it. i really think that they would bring a new one in for you if they don't have them in back. its not like peavey is going anywhere.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm now faced with these options:

a) new floor model, now reduced to around AU $850 - 900 (not sure what that is in USD)
b) used for AU $600

which should I go for?? or which would you go for if it were you? I'm 50 / 50 at this stage.
Quote by MetalLicker88
I'm now faced with these options:

a) new floor model, now reduced to around AU $850 - 900 (not sure what that is in USD)
b) used for AU $600

which should I go for?? or which would you go for if it were you? I'm 50 / 50 at this stage.

that is kind of tough. the pro is the warranty, but warranties are not all created equal. if you have to ship it somewhere that is expensive, and you could be without your amp. etc.

i would probably go used. feel them out a little bit. if things are fine, i would pick it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yea my thoughts exactly. The new one, is actually on the other side of the country so I would be looking at around $60 - $100 shipping, and I can't really try before I buy. BUT, has warranty (but like you pointed out, could be meaningless).

If I buy the used one I could use the money I saved to buy new tubes and speaker.

What's the worst defect the used amp could have and how much would it cost to fix (power supply, mother board)? Are these parts readily available for a DIY job?
Last edited by MetalLicker88 at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by MetalLicker88
yea my thoughts exactly. The new one, is actually on the other side of the country so I would be looking at around $60 - $100 shipping, and I can't really try before I buy. BUT, has warranty (but like you pointed out, could be meaningless).

If I buy the used one I could use the money I saved to buy new tubes and speaker.

What's the worst defect the used amp could have and how much would it cost to fix (power supply, mother board)? Are these parts readily available for a DIY job?

Transformers would probably be the most costly and pain in the ass thing that could go wrong. There are very few issues with 6505 s that I have heard of, you might just want new tubes so you could have a spare set on hand in case they were to go. Most part s would be relatively easy to find, but I don't think that would happen. I would go for the used the one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks trashedlostfdup!

Quote by UFC on VHS
Just my opinion you need a noise suppressor an overdrive pedal and an EQ pedal to go with the 6505 combo. At the very least you will want the noise suppressor and Overdrive.

I just couldn't get the bite and clarity I wanted just straight into the amp, could just be the tubes I have I never replaced them.

That's interesting... So I would also need to invest in this setup. I'm wondering if this is common?

I will be using a Jackson soloist with ACTIVE EMG 81/85 picks. How do you see this sounding? (with and without the noise suppressor, etc)?
I have a noise suppressor, and most of the time it's turned off, because I dont really need it unless Im recording or cranking the amp super loud. It really isnt that noisy until it's LOUD. As for your EMGs -- they should sound great. Witb the right EQing you may not even need an overdrive. That said, I run Sd Blackouts in my main guitar which are similar to your EMGs, and I still prefer running an OD as well. You just have to really dial back the gain when you're sending that much signal to the preamp. But once you get it right it'll sound tight, thick, and clear all at once. I'd definitely go for an OD before a noise gate if you cant afford both. I would even get an EQ pedal before a noise gate.

The cool thing about running an EQ in the loop is that even though you cut some bass with the OD pedal, when you add some back in in the loop it still comes out sounding tight and articulate.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Personally I never found an EQ all that necessary. I think they have the curve dialed in pretty nicely on that one. An OD is nice, but a used TS7 is $20-30 bucks here, so is imagine it's not too much more, or another Tubescreamer-like pedal.

Speakers are a huge difference in sound, but it doesn't sound too bad all by itself. Really the only think I consider crucial is a tube replacement. It really doesn't sound too great with the stock tubes, just kind of wimpy in comparison.

I think any amp is going to have some duds, I'd be confident buying used though. Most the problems I've heard of them having have popped up within the first couple months of owning, so a used one I'd think would be sorted, just my logic.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by KailM
I have a noise suppressor, and most of the time it's turned off, because I dont really need it unless Im recording or cranking the amp super loud. It really isnt that noisy until it's LOUD. As for your EMGs -- they should sound great. Witb the right EQing you may not even need an overdrive. That said, I run Sd Blackouts in my main guitar which are similar to your EMGs, and I still prefer running an OD as well. You just have to really dial back the gain when you're sending that much signal to the preamp. But once you get it right it'll sound tight, thick, and clear all at once. I'd definitely go for an OD before a noise gate if you cant afford both. I would even get an EQ pedal before a noise gate.

The cool thing about running an EQ in the loop is that even though you cut some bass with the OD pedal, when you add some back in in the loop it still comes out sounding tight and articulate.

Sounds good! They way you describe the sound is exactly what I'm after. Thanks.

Time to research some good OD and EQ pedals then. Might start by looking at the TS-9.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Personally I never found an EQ all that necessary. I think they have the curve dialed in pretty nicely on that one. An OD is nice, but a used TS7 is $20-30 bucks here, so is imagine it's not too much more, or another Tubescreamer-like pedal.

Speakers are a huge difference in sound, but it doesn't sound too bad all by itself. Really the only think I consider crucial is a tube replacement. It really doesn't sound too great with the stock tubes, just kind of wimpy in comparison.

I think any amp is going to have some duds, I'd be confident buying used though. Most the problems I've heard of them having have popped up within the first couple months of owning, so a used one I'd think would be sorted, just my logic.

Thanks for that. I'm sold on the used one! Will also look into a used Tubescreamer.
If you are tight on budget for an od, look for a Digitech bad monkey. $30 or less.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I paid $899 new for the 120watt 6505+ head from American Musical Supply, it was scratch and dent, supposedly blemished (still haven't found any). It's a fire breather for sure I played a couple of the combos at Guitar Center when trying guitars and didn't think they sounded the same. I'm sure it was the speakers I run mine through a 4X12 with Eminence Patriot speakers 2 Swamp Thang and 2 Texas Heat monted in an X pattern.

Mine has Ruby tubes which are just rebranded so who knows who really made them they are sort of meh, I don't think they are terrible so I planned to use them up before swapping them out.

A year later I bought a MESA Dual Rec Roadster 2X12 combo and it looks like the Ruby tubes in the Peavey may never get worn out!

My friend just sold a 6505+112 for $500 he put a Texas Heat speaker, Tung Sol pre amp tubes and I'm not sure what he put in the power section but it was a beast of an amp he actually sold it to get a 5150III 50watt head and to me the Peavey sounded better.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I agree that the heads and combos do sound a little bit different. I really don't think they are much more different than most other amps that have different wattages for the same model. For example, I like DSL50's better than the DSL100's.

Pick up an OD and you will be fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I use a Bad Monkey ($50 new) instead of a Tubescreamer because:

Same basic circuit as the Tubescreamer
Less color. Cleaner than a TS
Has a Low and High tone controls instead of just 'Tone'
Has the added benefit of a second Guitar 'Out' - which is great for running two amps at once

I also use a Danelectro 7 band EQ ($35 new) set up like this (Nyquist Curve). I've ABY'd this with the 10 band MXR EQ pedal and to me - they were equal tone wise.

So instead of $200 in new pedals, you are looking at $85. New not used. Used obviously is less.
Page 1 of 2