Hello all,

I'd just like to share a new track with anyone here who's interested.

Just completed it tonight.

It's called 'Adrunodun'

Some of my influences came out in this one I think.

https://youtu.be/cCs4wMyOTZw
Last edited by Steve Hart at Aug 1, 2015,
@Steve Hart: First of all, thanks a lot for the feedback on my tracks, I really appreciate it.

There is no description, so I didn't know what to expect so I was surprised the guitars broke in after the strings. The ringing guitars reminded me of bands like Ulcerate and Deathspell Omega but the leads that follow make me think of Prog/Fusion guitarists like Al Di Meola and Allan Hollsworth. I'm glad you know about thematic variation, as I thoroughly loved the variation o a theme starting around 3:20, the solo following was very fitting. I felt you could have made the climax a little bit more intense at 6:00, I think going into a full-on Black Metal blast-fest would be appropriate.

But seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. You recorded it to a point where I didn't feel the mix really interfered with anything, but I'm not great at mixing so take that with a grain of salt.
Thanks for checking out the track Hayden and for the feedback. Hehe yeh I hear you when you suggest a full throttle blast beat section somewhere in there. I done that in a track called 'King's Karpet' (you can hear it in the full version) where I added bird tweeting + blast beats heh.

Never heard of the bands Ulcerate and Deathspell, will check them out now that you've mentioned it.
Steve Hart,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your tune: I like the drums: I think they work better with the guitar than the intro synths (nothing wrong with the intro synths in & of themselves). Sounds cool around 1:10, reminds me of Asia (the band) there. Rather nicely intricate around 2:10. Some good vocals wouldn't hurt at times. Audio quality is good. Around 3:30 reminds me of Yes somehow. Nice lead guitar around 4:30. Sounds more ominous around 6:40. Nice tune overall!
Thank you for the feedback, Steve!
Listening to your track now. It sounds really cohesive, and I definitly think I can hear some of your influences. I really like the middle section of the song, with the slowing down and stuff. The song, in general, reminds me of the 70's prog stuff. I feel like this would be a good song to listen to when floating through outer space (especially with the riff that comes in at 0:50). Overall, very interesting song, I think you captured some of your influences here. Looking forward to hearing more from you
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Thanks for the critique. I liked your leads a lot interesting note choices and a nice vibrato you had in one part, I think it was right before the 5:00 min mark. The timing, rhythm and riffs you had going until 3:15 was ****ing with me a little I could keep the speed of my foot tapping at 100 Bpm and feel where you're accenting things or I could tap my foot at around 200 bpm and get more accents on the down beats, I was conflicted haha but I enjoyed it. Interested to hear more from you keep it up.
Quote by Fourfourforever
Thanks for the critique. I liked your leads a lot interesting note choices and a nice vibrato you had in one part, I think it was right before the 5:00 min mark. The timing, rhythm and riffs you had going until 3:15 was ****ing with me a little I could keep the speed of my foot tapping at 100 Bpm and feel where you're accenting things or I could tap my foot at around 200 bpm and get more accents on the down beats, I was conflicted haha but I enjoyed it. Interested to hear more from you keep it up.

Cheers for the feedback. Hehe, yeh the timing of the main riff is in 7/4 and the timing of the lead parts is 13/8 if I remember correctly.
3:17 onwards i think the clean arpeggios behind the lead are a little harsh on the top end. i really like the smooth lead tone and your lines. i feel like the snare could be a little louder and reverby but that's just my instinct for a chilled out track like this. also i think the open hihat pattern at 0:50-1:24 isn't quite working for me. strong track overall and i really liked the melodies

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682971
Thank you for your critique on Supernova! I especially liked the bass in the intro, it set the mood well. Followed by this, the chords played by the rhythm guitars were outstanding. I really enjoy a good dissonant riff and this one did not disappoint. The melody played by the lead guitar contrasted nicely with the previous riffs. The progression of this melody was well done, and I like how the synths take on a variation of it. Great note selection for the lead in the clean section.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this song and I liked the tone of the guitars (especially the lead guitar). The only section of the song that sounded harsh was when the clean guitar first kicks in. Listening to the clean tone separately it's quite nice, but because the ears adjust to the tone of the distorted guitars you should turn down the presence/treble a bit. Finishing off, the outro was unique and had an impact. Nicely done, rock on
That was pretty epic! I loved how it mellowed out at 3:19, that riff was awesome! So many layers to this song its like loads of different songs in one but they all fit together. The only part I felt slightly dis-jointed was the change at 5:25, just my opinion but there might be another way to flow into that better. All in all it is a really enjoyable, different piece. Good work!
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
Awesome sounds man. I don't listen to prog too much so I'm not sure I could help with constructive criticism but all I can say is it was super cool to listen to. I love how you brought back material from earlier in the song at the end. The fantasy sections were great and equally so the heavier parts.
Thanks for the feedback on my thread as well.
Thank you for listening and for the feedback skatooter and UseYourThumb, it's appreciated.

skatooter: yes my thoughts exactly, when I was composing it I also thought there might be a better way to transition at 5:25 but it's just the way it turned out in the end.
Really great, sounds good. I do agree some spots in the mixing could have some fine-tuning done to them.

I'm also looking a bit through your YouTube channel and you have some really interesting stuff going-on over there. A bit peculiar in structure, I've got to say. I can see even Jordan Rudess commented on your song "Crocodile Face". Hah, I wonder if you replied back.
Hey TLGuitar, thanks for listening.

Yeh It was really inspiring that Jordan took the time to listen. I replied back to him.
Hello, and thank you for your feedback earlier!

I can hear that the prog is strong in you. You use time signatures well and switch between them seamlessly. Good atmospherics and melodies keep the track together nicely. Cool synths and nice fusion-esque lead guitar. Very good composition! I can hear the Dream Theater influences very clearly but I got some King Crimson vibes as well.

The only thing I could come up with for critique is the mix. I personally I like slightly beefier sounds when it comes to bass and drums but this is very minor thing and matter of taste more than anything. What is the most important thing is the composition, and it's strong.

Thank you for sharing! Keep at it!