Zup UG,

I've been doing a lot of hiking, canoeing and camping lately and I would like to hear you guys advice regarding guitar care in those situations.

Obviously when you do camping there's often a campfire. How close is too close to fire?

Also humidity is a hazard the guitar may not like in outdoor conditions. Any advice? I normally leave the guitar on the ground of the tent inside its padded gigging bag.

Finally I've been looking for a submersible case but those are very pricy. Any tip in order to protect my guitar from water? I did not keel over yet but I'd prefer to be ready in case.

Some of you might say I should buy a cheap guitar to carry around. I guess I could, but it's nice to play good guitars. Especially when you are out for weeks at a time.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jul 28, 2015,
Three options:

1) cheap guitar, easily replaced

2) travel guitar, easy to tote

3) something made with composites, hard to destroy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
get one of these if you want a full sized guitar. I have one and it was well worth the price. It sounds decent and stays in tune pretty good. I gave the Mandolin to my brother and it is also a decent instrument and both for $100
www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-acoustic-guitar-and-mandolin-pack

You can also get just the guitar for $45 right now

I've had mine for over 4yrs and no issues and I bought it for a throw around guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a blues harp. They are more fun than you would think, and great to have in the car for gridlocks. :-)
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
FYI I currently use a Baby Taylor. Plays loud and has bolted neck which is a nice feature for these conditions.

But yea, like said, I could buy a cheap guitar, however it's nice to play a good instrument. Just looking for a tip or two to prevent humidity damage mostly.
+1

Ovation would be my first choice of guitars out of the 3 options I posted.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I have no idea what I'd do about the hazards in canoeing, hiking or camping, because I'd never haul a decent guitar around under those circumstances. The closest I come is hauling a cheap Yamaha dread (under $150) out to the occasional sandbar/crab boil for those Kumbaya moments.

If you think it's nice to play a decent guitar under adverse conditions, be prepared to accept the consequences. I think avoiding the problem is the smartest piece of advice anyone can give you.
I have quite a bit of camping/backpacking experience in my past but never tried to take a guitar with me. The only time that happened was when someone else brought one and personally I found it really annoying to sit there in what should be a "mother nature" moment around a campfire and hear someone banging on a guitar. For me backpacking and camping was to get away from all of that and sort of get into the "Zen" of the outdoors.

That's just me but if you want to do it I suggest the above Rogue guitar. The snakes, squirrels and skunks won't know it's not a $500.00 guitar.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
I have quite a bit of camping/backpacking experience in my past but never tried to take a guitar with me. The only time that happened was when someone else brought one and personally I found it really annoying to sit there in what should be a "mother nature" moment around a campfire and hear someone banging on a guitar. For me backpacking and camping was to get away from all of that and sort of get into the "Zen" of the outdoors.

I backpack with extremely lightweight gear and the last thing I'd want to cart around would be a guitar. And maybe the last thing I'd want to listen to out on the trail would be someone playing one (it would be right there with loud sex. Unless it was me doing it).

"Someone's coming lord, Kumbayahhhhhhh..."
The water would be your only issue. As for fire, you probably would have some nasty burns yourself for your guitar to get damaged. My first thought was a waterproof case, which is probably worth it in your case instead of actually wrecking the guitar of two.
Travel light

Get a cheap guitar

If the guitar is on fire you are too close.

We used to bring guitars to the beach and the river for evening festivities but wide swings in humidity, temps, sand and rough handling killed more than one. Being out in the elements is fun but guitars generally don't share our joy.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I found it really annoying to sit there in what should be a "mother nature" moment around a campfire and hear someone banging on a guitar. For me backpacking and camping was to get away from all of that and sort of get into the "Zen" of the outdoors.

Right! However I'm alone most of the time, so I might only be bothering the raccoons I can relate to that tho.

"Someone's coming lord, Kumbayahhhhhhh..."

The water would be your only issue. As for fire, you probably would have some nasty burns yourself for your guitar to get damaged.

Good to know!

We used to bring guitars to the beach and the river for evening festivities but wide swings in humidity, temps, sand and rough handling killed more than one. Being out in the elements is fun but guitars generally don't share our joy.

Yeah I think in the end you guys are right and it's just a waste of money and energy trying to care for a guitar on camping. Thanks guys!
Last edited by Taz9 at Jul 30, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Ovation, the synthetic back will withstand a lot of abuse.

Or, I use one of these as a camp guitar, It's almost bulletproof...

http://www.fender.com/acoustics/stratacoustic/

But not the front. Ovations are notorious for the fronts coming to pieces, especially when exposed to excess humidity. We've had several in the family in the years, some last twenty years before the front starts splitting, some only go a handful, but every one we've had eventually starts, and that is whether they are in the case or not. We love the guitars, but they do go to ruin in quite a fantastic way.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Really? My Ovi is over 20 years old- looks new, save for fingerprints.

I've seen a lot of evidence over the Internet and in our own experience. Let me ask, has it been Texas the whole time or was this while you were in Louisiana as well?
I bought it used, but it has been in Texas for all the 2+ decades I have owned it. Within the state boundaries, however, it has been up and down 1-35.

While we're pretty dry, we do have occasional years with ridONKulous precipitation, though. This year, for instance, we've already had more rain than in all of 2014.

Hmm... Interesting. We had one model from the late 70s that did it terribly, a mid 80s model that's just started, and my 12 string, which shows early signs (it is from 08). I'm sure that there are more good than bad, but I know that it is common enough that I've found evidence from others on the web. It's a shame, they are great guitars, maybe it's just our rotten luck
It could also be the particular model. I have an Elite- one of the ones with the multiple offset holes. I don't know anyone with one sporting the more traditional single center hole.

...or maybe I got really lucky!

Yeah all ours are Balladeers or similar, traditional style centers. Maybe the bracing of those holes helps keep the top stable, or maybe the woods thicker? Either way it's hard to say. Maybe not here since we've already thread jacked, but if you have any pics you should post them in WTLT, those Elites are gorgeous.
Oddly, all I currently have is a closeup of the sound holes.

Mayhaps I'll rectify that this weekend.