So Im very interested in the Fender Twin Reverb. Im seeing the silver and black face version for sale at GC and Im wondering what makes the black face $250-$300 more. Buying one of these within the next few days and have only been able to pay the vintage modified silver face version.

OR should I say screw it and get a 59' Bassman reissue.

Im sure there is some nut out there that owns all three that can give me some insight haha
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
The blackfaces are, for the most part, simply a better amp. Silverface denotes the changeover to CBS, mostly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The tweed bassman is a hell of an amp, but I'd rather get a black- or brownface myself.
Kinda depends on the sound you're after.

Tho yeah as cath said, silverfaces' designs have pretty simple flaws that make them worse amps in general.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I believe the current line of silverfaces are (possibly not all) "customs", meaning that they have two differently voiced channels and the effects work on both (ostensibly one closely imitates the blackface sound and the other is more like the tweed-era amps - that comes from marketing speak, though) so I guess one thing that probably affects the price is just the fact that they're not really AVRIs. Certainly in terms of vintage gear silverfaces are pretty invariably worth less than blackfaces, but I'm not sure how much today's range reflects the quality difference.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman Bassman
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I do like the look of the bassman. Only problem is all I have to base the bassman and the black face twin is youtube videos. Not really a fan of order expensive amps online and hoping the UPS man delivers with love and care. haha guess worst case scenario i could just return it.

I play mostly jazz and blues so either amp would work great. The band I'm currently playing in is a indie band that just requires a slightly overdriven thick mean tones. But also need to be able to take pedals like a champ.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Whatever has been said, Silverfaces are STILL very good amps. I have tried a bunch and every single one of them has sound very good, and some of my friends have owned them without having big trouble with their amps. It all really depends on what you like/need though. Nothing would be better than trying them and see what fits you better. If you can, please do try them first.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
i would love to try them but the closest store that has them in store is a couple hours from me. I'm just gonna order the bassman and have it delivered to the store. If I'm not feeling it ill just go with the safe choice and grab the black face twin. never heard anything negative about a twin haha

Thanks for the input guys
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Check out the Vibrolux deluxe and similar offerings from Fender. I'm quite impressed with them, but can't quite afford any of them!
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by jon_six
i would love to try them but the closest store that has them in store is a couple hours from me. I'm just gonna order the bassman and have it delivered to the store. If I'm not feeling it ill just go with the safe choice and grab the black face twin. never heard anything negative about a twin haha

Thanks for the input guys

The Bassman is pretty sweet and a Blackface Twin is always a winner. The downside with a Twin is the price and it weighs a ton. Your Blues Deluxe clean channel already sounds very close to a Blackface Twin.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I believe the price difference is mainly because the '65s are MIA and the '68s are MIM.
The difference in the silver face amps weren't many but they made a difference in tone that guitar players didn't like. CBS paid no attention to the musicians and that's why Marshall took over the amp market in the early 70's.

The main things - Capacitors were added to the power tubes supposedly to reduce oscillation, they also robbed the really high highs, that chime Fenders were famous for. Then they changed the capacitor that filters bass, so that my 73 Super Reverb, for example, with the bass knob on 2½ had so much loud boomy bass it sounded bad, drop it to 2 and it had almost none. I swapped out a capacitor for under $5 and it sounds great now, and removed the caps on the power tubes too. (I also did a complete cap job since they were almost 40 years old.)

Those are the main things, later on master volume controls were added, but the early 70's amps mainly had those two issues, that meant they didn't sound as good as the earlier Fender amps.

The vintage blackface amps are usually pretty expensive, I haven't played any of the new reissues, but comments I've seen from players indicate they aren't as well liked. I'm not sure what the difference is, cold be a couple of things. Vintage transformers were mass produced, but not by the high tech machines of today. Tubes used are all made in either China or Russia today, even different wires could make a difference. Some people think the cloth covered wires in some vintage amps may make a difference. I'm not sure...

You can modify some of the silverface amps so they match blackface specs, if the still have the same rectifier tubes used in the blackface amps. My Super Reverb has a 5U4 instead of the GZ34 in earlier amps, that means it has a different transformer, and that's an expensive modification. So I can get mine close, but not exact. Still sounds great now.

As far as what amp for you, the one you like best. After playing a 73 Super Reverb for almost 15 years, if I ever have to replace it I'll probably be looking for another Super Reverb...I like the Twin Reverb and plenty other Fender amps, but the Super has me really spoiled...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
The difference in the silver face amps weren't many but they made a difference in tone that guitar players didn't like. CBS paid no attention to the musicians and that's why Marshall took over the amp market in the early 70's.

I'm sure you're entirely right, but it's entirely irrelevant. The '68 Custom models Fender sells from their Vintage Modified range - that's what "the vintage modified silver face version" in the OP refers to - are not CBS era amps. CBS has had nothing to do with Fender in 30 years. These VM amps keep the nice aesthetic but share pretty much sod all else with the CBS amps.

Blackface here means reissue. Silverface here means the '68 Custom range. In the former case the quality of the '60s originals may be relevant; in the latter it's not.

Sorry to snap, as it were, but there've already been like three replies that seem to be about vintage amps, and we're not talking about vintage amps

As JELIFISH19 suggested, the price difference may be to do with where they were built, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 30, 2015,
You have a Tourmaster, a Blues Deluxe and JVM.

Why do you need a new Fender amp? Why not find a used blackface Bassman? They start at like $400.

I like looking at them. haha but seriously I love playing and Im in a good place in my life financially so why not.

And I don't like buying tube amps used personally.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
Quote by jon_six
I like looking at them. haha but seriously I love playing and Im in a good place in my life financially so why not.

And I don't like buying tube amps used personally.

Nothing wrong with collecting amps. I do the same thing.

I had a '67 Bassman in my possesion for awhile.
That thing had a lot more mojo than any of the reissues I can tell you that.

I would really consider your stance on used amps. Buying a '60s
Bassman is like buying a piece of history and they are just so rad.

Actually all 4 of my current amps are used
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nothing wrong with collecting amps. I do the same thing.

I had a '67 Bassman in my possesion for awhile.
That thing had a lot more mojo than any of the reissues I can tell you that.

I would really consider your stance on used amps. Buying a '60s
Bassman is like buying a piece of history and they are just so rad.

Actually all 4 of my current amps are used

+3.1415 i have a' 68 bassman and I love it. Oozing with mojo.

I+3.1415 to considering buying used amps. 14/15 amps I have now i bought used. Never really had any problems.

Edit. I did build three, i guess that they may or may not count.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 30, 2015,
Bues Deville 410 60 watt
Blues Deluxe 112 45 watt
Blues Jr 112 15 watt
I have all three and each one has its place.