I bought a second hand Dean Z Select (Korean) 10 or so years ago from my dad's friend. I haven't given it much attention over the years but have been giving it some love lately. I gotta say, I am impressed with it and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guitars I own. The person who had it before changed out the pickups and I am not sure what they are, but I am contemplating on slapping some Duncan JB's or Distortions in it. The input jack is a bit finnicky but I am getting that fixed this weekend as well.

I was just curious if anyone else has/had one of these and what you think of them. Cheers.
I love my Korean Deans.

Dean get a bad rep on here for Dimebag (And it is justifiable) but I've had no issues with the three or four of my Deans.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Why does Dimebag get a bad rep here?? I don't come here often so I am unsure, but Dimebag seems like a great player to me haha. Maybe you mean his guitars they sell now? But yeah, I love mine now too! Glad to see someone else enjoys theirs.
Quote by Dinglebuttz at #33523008
Why does Dimebag get a bad rep here?? I don't come here often so I am unsure, but Dimebag seems like a great player to me haha. Maybe you mean his guitars they sell now? But yeah, I love mine now too! Glad to see someone else enjoys theirs.

Some people do like him here, but his guitar tones were god awful. And I think his taste in guitar design is too brash, especially in the graphics department. And his fanbase is full of obnoxious 14 year olds. But it isn't so much Dimebag himself that people don't like, its more about how Dean has a reputation of relentlessly marketing him by plastering his name on cheap, shitty guitar after shitty, cheap guitar for decades to appeal to said obnoxious 14 year olds.

I personally don't experience a whole lot of excitement for Deans. Too many of them are overpriced, and the guitars Dean make that might appeal to me have already been done to a better standard of quality by other brands in the same price range imo.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 29, 2015,
I bought a dirt cheap Metalman Z Bass as a backup when I was in a band. Still have the damn thing and it's usually my main bass. Who knew?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE at #33523042
Some people do like him here, but his guitar tones were god awful. And I think his taste in guitar design is too brash, especially in the graphics department. And his fanbase is full of obnoxious 14 year olds. But it isn't so much Dimebag himself that people don't like, its more about how Dean has a reputation of relentlessly marketing him by plastering his name on cheap, shitty guitar after shitty, cheap guitar for decades to appeal to said obnoxious 14 year olds.

I personally don't experience a whole lot of excitement for Deans. Too many of them are overpriced, and the guitars Dean make that might appeal to me have already been done to a better standard of quality by other brands in the same price range imo.

Couldn't have said the first paragraph better.

I love the Korean Dean's, especially the Chicago Deans and the Eric Peterson Old Skull V's. Picked up a Stealth V bass t hat plays really well and sounds huge, so maybe my personal experience is better than most. I don't know.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Here is a pic I took the other day. My new bedroom practice amp came in yesterday too! With my cheapo Bad Monkey overdrive pedal, she screams! Love this guitar even more every time I play it haha.
Attachments:
IMAG0496.jpg
What sort of Z is that? Never seen one before!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
What sort of Z is that? Never seen one before!

I emailed pictures of it to Dean customer support the other day because I never really knew either lol. My dad bought it from a friend for me a long time ago. They emailed me back with:

Z Select Flame Cherry Sunburst
Discontinued in 2001
South Korea
Set neck
Mahogany body
Flame maple top
Dimarzio Super D's (the owner before me changed them out though)

and some other generic info. I love the neck on it though, pretty thin and plays very well.
I got a cheap Dime-o-flauge from guitar center in my earlier days. Played it once and sent it back. Im glad to hear the Korean deans are good quality. Ive been seriously considering a Dean Slime Stealth, althought Id rather have a Washburn Dime Slime. Ive been in love with it since I started playing guitar. My collection needs some brand diversity rrrreeeeaaaallly bad.... Sexy looking Z by the way. Sevendust's guitarist uses those.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
I got a cheap Dime-o-flauge from guitar center in my earlier days. Played it once and sent it back. Im glad to hear the Korean deans are good quality. Ive been seriously considering a Dean Slime Stealth, althought Id rather have a Washburn Dime Slime. Ive been in love with it since I started playing guitar. My collection needs some brand diversity rrrreeeeaaaallly bad.... Sexy looking Z by the way. Sevendust's guitarist uses those.

Yeah I like my Korean Dean a lot. I also have a Tele, Strat, Charvel Skatecaster, and a 70's Ibanez Destroyer. None are real great (mexican tele and strat, chinese Charvel) but I like them all! I do think the Dean is close to dethroning my Strat as my favorite though. I just have more fun playing it for some reason. Must be the bigger body or something