Hey guys. For a while now, I've had a Randall RD45H with a matching cab. I've never really thought about using and OD pedal in front of it, but earlier this week, I decided to get a little more crunch in my clean setting with an old TS9 I had lying around from my gear-noob days. Yeah, it's generally considered to be a rather garbage pedal, but since I already had it around, I might as well use it.

It...sounds...TERRIBLE. I've never had a worse tone in my life. The only way to make it even VIABLE is turning the tone knob on the pedal all the way down, and even then it sounds like crap. It's like putting a boost or distortion pedal in front of this thing completely changes it to the worst sounding amp on the planet. No lows and hardly any mids. Just high-end nasty sound. I figured "Okay. The pedal is faulty." NOPE. Bought a Satchurator (SP? It's the Satriani pedal from VOX.) and took that back immediately. Some disgusting sound. Again, the only way to fix it is turning the tone knob all the way down. Tried lowering the volume on both pedals thinking it was clipping the input somewhere. Nope. Tried messing with the gain on each. Nope. Literally the only thing that works is turning the tone knob all the way down. Even the slightest touch higher and it goes to shit.

What the hell is wrong with my amp??!!?!? I've tried different cords, guitars, pedals, settings, nothing changes. I can't be the only one with this issue, but I've googled it a million times and found nothing.

EDIT: I could probably run the pedals directly into a DAW and get a better sound. That's how bad it is.
Last edited by baileyguitarguy at Jul 29, 2015,
I'm not personally familiar with that amp but it's possible it's just one that doesn't really like pedals. I've read that others (Bogner Alchemist) have the same problem.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with the TS9, it's a perfectly serviceable pedal for what it is.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well, at least it's not a dud-amp kind of thing. I was kinda worried that I was just screwed.

Also, what I meant was that I bought it thinking it was just like a cheaper version of the 808.
Last edited by baileyguitarguy at Jul 29, 2015,
The difference between the 9 and the 808 is two output resistors.

SOME 9's came with op-amps that were not 4558's, but not all.

For all practical purposes, the real difference is in the price...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
That amp you have to turn the clean channel gain up to about 2 or 3 oClock for pedals to sound any good on the clean channel.