Page 1 of 3
I didn't want to watch this video, and I don't want to post this thread. I don't even want to think about this or that things like this can happen, ever. But something is just compelling me to share it because I think people in America need to see these videos so that they can get angry about it. I don't know if that will change anything, but this is just how I feel right now. I'm still kind of in shock from watching it, tbh. I expect that there will be riots over this, because this is possibly the worst video I have ever seen. I would have shared on Facebook, but I don't like to post things like this there for a number of reasons, and I suspect that plenty of other people will be doing that.

Warning: This is disturbing. Not necessarily graphic, but it is deeply disturbing. I will remove the link to the video if requested, or mods can feel free to do so.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/watch-body-cam-video-released-in-sam-dubose-shooting
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 29, 2015,
What's the purpose of blurring the footage I couldnt even tell when he had got shot until after the video ended

But yeah cops are racist scumbags
Yeah I really can't tell what happened in that video. The guy was trying to hold his door closed, then suddenly everything was very blurry and he was running up the road.

It is scary how quickly the cop was willing to pull out a gun and shoot it in someone's face though (which I think is what happened after rewatching several times)
Yeah, police need to be held to higher standards in general. This just proves body cameras are necessary.

I watch CNN a lot at work so I'm pretty inundated with this sort of material. Don Lemon hit the nail on the head regarding the Sandra Bland case last night basically that all of the conspiracy bullshit is distracting from the fact that she should never have been arrested and was guilty of nothing but a clear DWB.

I get a kick out of cops who now say they're afraid to do their jobs at risk of prosecution. If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worriedHHHMMMMMM.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I always hate threads like this, because while the intentions are completely justifiable and, yes there's definitely a problem, it always seems to be a shitting fest on police officers. And as someone who knows a few of them, I can say from the bottom of my heart that they aren't all bad.

This is obviously a bad one, though.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Really turns these Onion articles from satire to prescient reporting:

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/do-you-know-why-im-pulling-you-over-being-wildly-a-50916

http://www.theonion.com/article/ticketed-motorist-pointing-finger-just-green-light-50913

I’m going to need to see your driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. Thank you, sir. Now, just sit tight in your car while I take a look here and grow increasingly hostile. I’m just going to start addressing you in an unmistakably threatening tone that is specifically meant to intimidate and provoke, and then drastically escalate the situation so that it quickly gets out of hand.

Also, fuck front tag laws. No front plates for me. They can suck my dick.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 29, 2015,
Well f*ck..... at least a body cam was involved.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
The video in the link I posted was low quality compared to the one I saw first. My apologies. Again, not that anyone should want to watch this video, but I edited the first post so you can more clearly tell what happened and just how horrible this was.
The adversarial relationship between cops and civilians needs to end. This is just awful.
Quote by snipelfritz

I get a kick out of cops who now say they're afraid to do their jobs at risk of prosecution. If you aren't doing anything wrong you shouldn't be worriedHHHMMMMMM.

RIGHT?!?!?

I always hate how I feel more threatened by police than protected, especially here on the rez and even more especially when it's the state or highway cops.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
This isn't a fucking "thing", the only contention arises when people don't comply with simple, lawful orders. If he had said simply, "No I don't have my license" (which seemed to be the case as he didn't show it) or even said he was suspended (don't know if he was, but if it was the case, he should've said it) then none of this would have happened. It's not hard to not get shot by a cop, it happens thousands of times every day by people who follow the simple orders and answer questions directly.

Quote by GuitarGod_92

But yeah cops are racist scumbags

When African-American males commit a grossly disproportionate amount of violent crime, it makes sense to be on edge when confronting one. It may be racist, but it's justified.
Quote by snipelfritz

Tell that to the numerous law enforcement officers who are accused of hate crime and blown up by the media every time a minority is killed, only to be acquitted later because there isn't any substance, then civilians feel that they've been wronged because the media told them they were and make threats to these officers.
Quote by SGstriker
I always hate threads like this, because while the intentions are completely justifiable and, yes there's definitely a problem, it always seems to be a shitting fest on police officers. And as someone who knows a few of them, I can say from the bottom of my heart that they aren't all bad.

This is obviously a bad one, though.

Yes they aren't all bad. The problem is that police officers are such a willingly monolithic group who will (understandably) stand together no matter what. When undeniably bad policing happens, as is more and more publicized with the internet and body cams, cellphones, etc, the seeming lack of outrage or even defense from police organizations (particularly unions) invites ire from those who already hold a negative bias against them.

That said, the officer in this instance was fired, so that's good.

Quote by bradulator
Do campus cops even count though

That's been part of the response, "why we're armed campus cops pulling people over off the campus?"
Quote by Skullivan

When African-American males commit a grossly disproportionate amount of violent crime, it makes sense to be on edge when confronting one. It may be racist, but it's justified.

There was no reason to shoot. The cop was also clearly the one escalating the tension and situation, in excess and without necessity.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Skullivan

congrats on also being a racist scumbag
Quote by GuitarGod_92

stfu bitch ass

try holding an actual conversation

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Body cameras doing their job

Quote by Skullivan at #33523340
You just sound racist too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Xiaoxi
stfu bitch ass

try holding an actual conversation

I dont want to waste my time on someone thats just going to continue endorsing the murder of black people no matter whats said
Quote by Skullivan
This isn't a fucking "thing", the only contention arises when people don't comply with simple, lawful orders. If he had said simply, "No I don't have my license" (which seemed to be the case as he didn't show it) or even said he was suspended (don't know if he was, but if it was the case, he should've said it) then none of this would have happened. It's not hard to not get shot by a cop, it happens thousands of times every day by people who follow the simple orders and answer questions directly.

Your sense of justice is ****ed. If police officers can't handle a little sass or resistance without breaking protocol, they aren't fit to be an officer and should be removed from the force.

You can't argue there have never been gross overreaches of police authority. That's willful ignorance. You can argue there is unfair emphasis or focus being put on these negative incidents, but as long as you choose to deny these glaring examples, you're just motivating people to shove them down your throat even harder.

People need to sensibly look at it from both sides, but thethere needs to be an onus of change and higher scrutiny put upon the deliberately empowered voluntary institution of public safety.
snip spittin' that rhetorical fire damn
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.

Tell that to the numerous law enforcement officers who are accused of hate crime and blown up by the media every time a minority is killed, only to be acquitted later because there isn't any substance, then civilians feel that they've been wronged because the media told them they were and make threats to these officers.

Wow. This is absolutely profound. I found the next winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Free Ali
Quote by ErikLensherr
snip spittin' that rhetorical fire damn

I can't always just be a goofy goober.
Okay its pretty clear from the video that the guy in the car was just scared and put on the spot, and not being hostile. The cop was being pretty pushy and was the one escalating it needlessly, I don't even understand what caused him to react that way, all I got was he walked to the door then suddenly the cop just flips out and shoots him point blank in the side of the head

what the actual fvck

in hindsight the guy in the car a real good reason to be scared
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Are cops even allowed to open your door and take your seatbelt off? Even without the shooting, that in itself seems wrong.

Shut the fuck up, dude. Did you even watch the video? If this had been me or any other white male in their 20's and I said, " Sorry, I don't have my drivers license, but you can look me up." You know what would have happened? He would have said, "Sure thing!" got back in his car, typed my name into his computer and I would've been on my way.

The guy was driving without a front license plate and forgot his drivers license. Yeah, totally justified
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
If this had been me or any other white male in their 20's and I said, " Sorry, I don't have my drivers license, but you can look me up." You know what would have happened? He would have said, "Sure thing!" got back in his car, typed my name into his computer and I would've been on my way.

And even if you then decide to flee while he's looking you up in his car, that in itself is not grounds for a death sentence.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Also, it should be noted he and other officers filed statements saying he was being dragged by the car.

The other officers were wearing dash/body cams and didn't even arrive until after the shooting had occurred.

It's great to be willing to take a bullet for a fellow officer, but apparently that means you are then willing to commit perjury like it's no big thing.
Quote by snipelfritz at #33523345
Yes they aren't all bad. The problem is that police officers are such a willingly monolithic group who will (understandably) stand together no matter what. When undeniably bad policing happens, as is more and more publicized with the internet and body cams, cellphones, etc, the seeming lack of outrage or even defense from police organizations (particularly unions) invites ire from those who already hold a negative bias against them.

That said, the officer in this instance was fired, so that's good.

He wasn't just fired, he's going to jail for murder. Whoever investigated the matter even said that out of all the many police brutality cases they have investigated in 20+ years, this was the only one where everyone immediately agreed that it was undeniably a murder. There is no argument about that to be had.

Anyone who tries to play the, "Well if he would have obeyed the officer, he would have been fine" card, like Skullivan, has something seriously wrong with them.
Saying he should have just obeyed orders is no different than the idiots who go "well, her skirt was too short," "well she shouldn't have led him on" etc.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by MeGaDeth2314 at #33523643
He wasn't just fired, he's going to jail for murder. Whoever investigated the matter even said that out of all the many police brutality cases they have investigated in 20+ years, this was the only one where everyone immediately agreed that it was undeniably a murder. There is no argument about that to be had.

Anyone who tries to play the, "Well if he would have obeyed the officer, he would have been fine" card, like Skullivan, has something seriously wrong with them.

there was nothing to obey..... the officer just straight up shot him
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by ErikLensherr
Saying he should have just obeyed orders is no different than the idiots who go "well, her skirt was too short," "well she shouldn't have led him on" etc.

It's worth noting that when folks say these things out in public/the web, the affected family members can hear/see it - just as they are learning about their personal loss. That's just pissing directing into the open wound of entirely innocent grievers. If you can't give respect to the murdered, at least respect their living counterparts.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Congratulations, you found me out. Now how does that disprove that African Americans are 12% of the US pop but commit over half of violent crime? That's not racist, that is a statistical fact upheld by the FBI. If a minority is committing that much crime then I would be more cautious of them. Is it fair? Not really. Is it practical? Yes.

Quote by snipelfritz

You can't argue there have never been gross overreaches of police authority. That's willful ignorance. You can argue there is unfair emphasis or focus being put on these negative incidents, but as long as you choose to deny these glaring examples, you're just motivating people to shove them down your throat even harder.

Didn't mean to come off as the former, I much more support the latter. Yes, there have been acts of police brutality/not following protocol. It probably happens every day. But there isn't this subliminal race war of white cops against black people that the media tells everyone there is. Whites are just statistically more likely to be cops, and blacks are statistically more likely to be criminals than other races.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Shut the fuck up, dude. Did you even watch the video? If this had been me or any other white male in their 20's and I said, " Sorry, I don't have my drivers license, but you can look me up." You know what would have happened? He would have said, "Sure thing!" got back in his car, typed my name into his computer and I would've been on my way.

Except that
1) The man never directly answered "no" to the officer's question, whereas you did in your hypothetical. This is the big facet of the problem in this case. Officers need a straight answer in order to cover their asses. They can't take something like, "I don't think so" and/or "It might be at my house." If they are arresting someone for anything, they need cause and proof. The man in the car (regardless of his race) was not complying with the officer.
2) Driving w/o a front plate and w/o your license? I don't think you'd get off that easy. Driving without a physical license yet still having one is a minor ticketable offense that can be brushed off if you go to court and basically tell them you get the deal. Similar deal with the license plate, what they call a "fix-it ticket". The two combined can be pretty bad if you don't address them in court.
Quote by ErikLensherr

You know why they make locks? To keep people out of places/things that they shouldn't be in. Obviously if everyone followed the laws, we wouldn't need locks; but, people do break the law, so we take protective measures. Same with this and your analogy.

Does my house deserve to get broken into just because it's not locked? No.
Would it be in my best interest to go through a minor inconvenience (buying a lock) in order to prevent crime against me? Yes.

Does a person deserve to be attacked/raped/etc because of the way he/she dresses? No.
Would it be in the person's best interest to dress in a way that does not attract someone who would cause a crime against him/her? Yes.

On the topic of aesthetics, let me extend the former example further.
Does a person deserve to be attacked because he/she displays a Confederate flag on their property? No.
Would it make sense to not display the flag to those who might be offended by it since that same group has the highest rate of violent crime among all races in the US? Yes.

Now here's our situation
Does a man deserve to be shot because he: failed to tell the officer straight up if he had his license with him, resisted the officer's commands, and became physical with the officer?
Inherently, no.
Would it have been ideal to answer the question directly, comply with the officer's orders, and not become physical with him? Yes.

Thousands of people get pulled over every day, even black people. And you know what? The cops don't kill them. You wanna know why? Because they listen to and obey the officers. It's not hard, it really isn't. And again, I'm not absolving every cop ever of responsibility. There have been some shitty things cops have done in the past, but this is most certainly not among them.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Yeah I really can't tell what happened in that video. The guy was trying to hold his door closed, then suddenly everything was very blurry and he was running up the road.

So after the door part, the guy re-ignited his car and that's when the cop shot
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Skullivan at #33523704

Thousands of people get pulled over every day, even black people. And you know what? The cops don't kill them. You wanna know why? Because they listen to and obey the officers. It's not hard, it really isn't. And again, I'm not absolving every cop ever of responsibility. There have been some shitty things cops have done in the past, but this is most certainly not among them.

Right, a guy makes a dumb decision and a cop shoots him in the head at point blank range within 1-2 seconds after making that decision, and it's not a "shitty thing." FFS what is wrong with you? The guy posed no thread to the officer, both of his hands were clearly visible the entire time. Even if he did disobey the officer, which he clearly did, that kind of action was NOT justified. The cop claims that he was worried that he was going to run him over. How would that even be possible standing at the driver side window of the car? Maybe he could have had his foot run over, but that's about it.

The most disturbing thing imo is how quickly he pulled out his gun and shot him. It is absurd. It is seriously like 1 second after he started the engine. He yelled for him to stop and didn't even give him a chance to do so.
My uncle (who was a police officer in a small rural town in South Dakota for 13 years) tyold me about the "Blue Wall Of Silence" and about the comraderie the cops enjoy.
Definitely put police officers in a different light in my mind. We grow up with this idea that cops are our friends and are doing what's right according to the laws set forth by the All-Knowing Gov't. Truth is cops are just people like the rest of us, with prejudices and pride that determines their decisions, no matter theyre training. They are also capable of amazing compassion and love, just like the rest of us. its time we stopped looking at, and they, the police, stopped acting like, the police force as a separate entity from the community they protect. Maybe the problem isnt what is happening, but what we allow to happen.

Then again Im just some kid from the Midwest.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Skullivan at #33523704
whole lotta words

Do you think this guy should be charged with murder or not. It's that simple.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Skullivan

Does my house deserve to get broken into just because it's not locked? No.
Would it be in my best interest to go through a minor inconvenience (buying a lock) in order to prevent crime against me? Yes.

Does a person deserve to be attacked/raped/etc because of the way he/she dresses? No.
Would it be in the person's best interest to dress in a way that does not attract someone who would cause a crime against him/her? Yes.

Now here's our situation
Does a man deserve to be shot because he: failed to tell the officer straight up if he had his license with him, resisted the officer's commands, and became physical with the officer?
Inherently, no.
Would it have been ideal to answer the question directly, comply with the officer's orders, and not become physical with him? Yes.

Notice how in the first 2 analogies, the people who SHOULDN'T have broken in to a house or raped a woman are committing a crime. By the same logic, the officer SHOULDN'T have shot him, and thus also committed a crime.

There have been some shitty things cops have done in the past, but this is most certainly not among them.

...this is certainly among them....pretty plain as day.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 29, 2015,
Quote by ErikLensherr
Do you think this guy should be charged with murder or not. It's that simple.

nah
Quote by Xiaoxi
Notice how in the first 2 analogies, the people who SHOULDN'T have broken in to a house or raped a woman are committing a crime. By the same logic, the officer SHOULDN'T have shot him, and thus also committed a crime.

Officer felt his safety threatened as the guy was trying to drive away (allegedly) and he was being pulled by the car. I don't think I can fully address your argument because I don't believe what the officer did was a crime.

inb4 "Killing someone isn't a crime?"
No, killing someone who is actively putting your own life in danger (you can read this as "self defense" if you want) is justifiable under the law.
Page 1 of 3