hey could someone please take a quick look and tell me what he's doing here at 1:51, 1:52

youtu.be/56rdtePMLC0?t=103

https://youtu.be/56rdtePMLC0?t=103

is this the thing where you need to touch the string with your thumb and it goes up to high register note?

thanks!

here is me recorded from the other night . i decided i can play the first minute fast enough now to bother moving onto the next phrase (and i can play it without looking, standing up, but thats slower). except the next phrase has a bit 3x faster lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHOoEtNulg
Last edited by percydw at Jul 29, 2015,
It's a pinch harmonic with some fast, heavy whammy bar vibrato.

Actually it might be a natural harmonic.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 29, 2015,
thanks ill watch some youtubes on pinch harmonic and see if i can figure it out from there
er and ill look up natural harmonic too lol
I think it's just a natural harmonic.
Also either your guitar is out of tune or your bends need more practice. Keep it up though!
tnx. yeah i had 3 month? without playing so lost my finger padding and having to take it easy with bending. also (probably the relevent thing in that vid) i haven't practiced the "smaller" bending "properly" coz i was playing without my amp so much (and without much focus) i didn't realise i wasn't bending anywhere near far enough for it to sound properly
He first plays the 7th fret harmonic on the G string (picks and touches the string lightly above the 7th fret), then dives on the whammy bar, then touches the string above the 12th fret lightly to make it sound an octave higher, and then releases the whammy bar.

Yeah, pinch harmonics are technically different, but they are really the same thing (I mean, the science behind them is exactly the same). You just touch the string lightly on your picking hand's thumb instead of your fretting hand. I would first suggest learning to play natural harmonics. Once you know how to play them, it's easier to understand how to do pinch harmonics. The easiest natural harmonics to play are on the 12th, 7th and 5th fret. G string is the easiest string to make the harmonics ring out. Use your bridge pickup.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
dude awesome thanks maybe in a week ill have the next phrase down .... er thats a bit ambitious lol but maybe the part at 1:23 is just wrecking fast and i noticed he strums every note which is gonna make it even harder , but amazing progression/practice to learn
Quote by MaggaraMarine
He first plays the 7th fret harmonic on the G string (picks and touches the string lightly above the 7th fret), then dives on the whammy bar, then touches the string above the 12th fret lightly to make it sound an octave higher, and then releases the whammy bar.

Yeah, pinch harmonics are technically different, but they are really the same thing (I mean, the science behind them is exactly the same). You just touch the string lightly on your picking hand's thumb instead of your fretting hand. I would first suggest learning to play natural harmonics. Once you know how to play them, it's easier to understand how to do pinch harmonics. The easiest natural harmonics to play are on the 12th, 7th and 5th fret. G string is the easiest string to make the harmonics ring out. Use your bridge pickup.

Yep - This. It's not an artificial harmonic at all. It takes a bit of a knack to get that 2nd harmonic to register from a slack string. Just keep at it. I first ran into this with Joe Satriani on Surfing with the Alien.

Consider working your song out to a metronome click, it will help your phrasing and picking progress. Start slowly and give yourself time to learn it so it's natural, and when you do that, the speed will also have come because you will have "memorized" the left and right hand synchronization and developed the specialized hand muscles needed to pull that passage off.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 30, 2015,
yeah i was gonna start using metronome soon in order to help me speed up (and practice timings properly). i didnt like using it yet coz it forced me to play the parts i was "good" at too slow which pissed me off. but itll come into play soon i guess
Quote by percyd

why are you wearing sunglasses indoors

and yeah it's a natural harmonic that would be played as a tap harmonic

Also I hate the first video because of that awful intense hi-gain where every time he does anything it sounds stupid and bad and stupid with his pick cause you can hear the pick hitting the strings and I hate it
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by percydw
i thought thats what a guitar sounds like lol

only when people can't hold the pick flat.

Also, is this seriously a heavy metal instrumental about having difficulty with a MegaMan boss? Is that dude even old enough to have played MegaMan on a NES? Really straddling the line between awesome and lame.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jul 30, 2015,
btw guys i just realised that i've been holding the pick completely wrong (afaik) up until this point!!!

i was holding it between my fingers mostly like you'd pick up a beetle

now i sort of see some vid where you curl your first finger down and hold the pick against the side of your finger

i think its gonna be a pretty crazy improvement lol

you can see in my vid above how i was holding it

ill watch some more youtubes to confirm tomorrow but it loks like its gonna be like 4 months of practice improvement worth in 2 days lol

like i think yo're supposed to hold it against the 1st knuckle of your finger rather than with the sidepad of your finger. anyway ill check tomorrow
Last edited by percydw at Jul 31, 2015,