I've read that a lot of Peavey head users are placing a dummy plug into the high gain input of their heads/amps and then plugging into the low gain input. What does this effectively do?

I've also heard that if you are not running effects in the loop, then you should at least "jump" it with a patch cable to improve tone. Why does this work?

I've seen a lot of Valveking users do this, but I see more and more people doing these on all kinds of Peavey heads and even non-Peavey heads.

Any explanation other than "makes it sound better" would be appreciated!
I've never tried putting a dummy plug into the high gain input, honestly this is the first I've heard it.

Using the effects loop engages the effects loop buffer. Without anything in the effects loop, the buffer is never put into the signal chain. The buffer brightens up the sound, which is very useful for a dark amp like the Valveking. It also adds some clarity thanks to the increased brightness.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
I've never tried putting a dummy plug into the high gain input, honestly this is the first I've heard it.

Using the effects loop engages the effects loop buffer. Without anything in the effects loop, the buffer is never put into the signal chain. The buffer brightens up the sound, which is very useful for a dark amp like the Valveking. It also adds some clarity thanks to the increased brightness.

ummm... if you plug into the fx loop then the buffer is indeed put in the signal chain.
^ I noticed a pretty nice kick. I actually recorded it but it is long lost in the forgotten UG Clips Section in our Profiles

Quote by monwobobbo
ummm... if you plug into the fx loop then the buffer is indeed put in the signal chain.

That's what he said no? Patch the loop and it engages the buffer?

What I used to do was put a dummy 1/4 jack into the low gain input. It is similar to how to how people jump the low and high gain input jacks on Marshall amps. Same thing. Adds signal boost.

Don't worry about it. Just do it.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 30, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I noticed a pretty nice kick. I actually recorded it but it is long lost in the forgotten UG Clips Section in our Profiles

What I used to do was put a dummy 1/4 jack into the low gain input. It is similar to how to how people jump the low and high gain input jacks on Marshall amps. Same thing. Adds signal boost.

was at work and very tired didn't read properly. saw the second half of his statement which mentions not being in chain. oops my bad
[quote="311ZOSOVHJH]^ I noticed a pretty nice kick. I actually recorded it but it is long lost in the forgotten UG Clips Section in our Profiles

I noticed quite a bit of difference with the jack too.

I never did the loop trick, because I always had an eq in the loop.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I noticed quite a difference patching the effects loop together and inserting my 1/4" converter jack into the second input on the Valveking amps.

With my VSS20 though, it just doesn't do anything, I guess it's either high or low.
..I was watching my death.