Hi, i'm buying a guitar through a well known personal ad service. Decent deal, i won't go into specifics but it's nothing too good to be true at all. The guy said he'd deliver it, but didn't show the first time we arranged and emailed me hours later saying he got tied up at work but would deliver tomorrow. Then he didn't show again and messaged me much later saying he was busy helping his parents. Then over 24 hours later he got back in touch saying his dad could drop it off tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the no-shows are a ruse to suggest he's busy and has to send someone else who i pay the money to, but would this then give him an opportunity to claim i haven't payed him after?

Or of course, I'm just paranoid. Regardless i was going to ask whoever i give the money to to sign a little receipt/contract confirming i have provided full payment for the guitar. Is that reasonable?
I'd pass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don’t give anyone money for a guitar unless the guitar is in your hands.

Also, it’s always good to get a receipt with the serial number on it, even when buying used. Scan a copy to store on Dropbox/GDrive and put the original in a safe deposit box. This way you have something to show the insurance company if it’s ever stolen.
Yep, I intend to give it a decent look over before handing over the cash.

I've seen pictures of the guitar, it certainly looks fine, but I'll check thoroughly.

Robbgnarly, why would you pass?
Unless it was someone I knew, I'd pass. Life is too short to be dicked around on a deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd pass

Yeah, I think I would, too.
Once is okay, but after that the whole thing doesn't pass the "sniff" test.
Something else is going on.
nope this smells really bad. i'd be concerned that if there is an actual guitar that it might be hot. this might just be a scam to try to rip you off as well. PASS
Quote by monwobobbo
nope this smells really bad. i'd be concerned that if there is an actual guitar that it might be hot. this might just be a scam to try to rip you off as well. PASS

A hot guitar should be ok as long as you get a bill of sale with his sig(ask for his id if you need). But yea, he's shady so I'd probably pass as well. First time he was a no show could possibly slide, but not continuously
Fairly positive it's not hot, he included a picture of the serial number (which i've checked matches the details given about it, place of production and time etc.).

Other than that, could you guys elaborate on why you wouldn't? Like, why him not showing more than once makes it something to pass.

Thanks
He's not reliable enough to show up the first two times, probably not reliable enough to give you a good genuine deal.
Quote by Lord_Elmo
Fairly positive it's not hot, he included a picture of the serial number (which i've checked matches the details given about it, place of production and time etc.).

Other than that, could you guys elaborate on why you wouldn't? Like, why him not showing more than once makes it something to pass.

Thanks

he showed a picture doesn't mean a thing. the pic may have come from anywhere. a guy who wants to sell something doesn't blow off buyers repeatedly unless something is up. maybe he reposted an add with a higher price and has to get the guitar from the actual owner. it just doesn't add up.
I have a tenancy of asking people for ebay/forum references before I buy anything. But tons off stuff off forums and never had a problem, but it pays to be cautious.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by monwobobbo
he showed a picture doesn't mean a thing. the pic may have come from anywhere. a guy who wants to sell something doesn't blow off buyers repeatedly unless something is up. maybe he reposted an add with a higher price and has to get the guitar from the actual owner. it just doesn't add up.

Hi, I reverse searched the images and they only come from that ad, nowhere else. Really i only think there was 1 genuine blowoff, given his reason for the first seemed fair enough. I'll sleep on it though, i'm still unsure.

Thanks
Quote by Lord_Elmo
Hi, I reverse searched the images and they only come from that ad, nowhere else. Really i only think there was 1 genuine blowoff, given his reason for the first seemed fair enough. I'll sleep on it though, i'm still unsure.

Thanks

You can steal a guitar and take a picture of it. A serial number means nothing. It's also trivial to find pictures that aren't indexed on google images.
Ask for his address to come pick it up since he won't meet. If he says no then no deal. If he has nothing to hide, he shouldn't have a problem.

And nobody give me that crap about not giving you address to a stranger or anything like that. Haha.
Quote by esky15
Ask for his address to come pick it up since he won't meet. If he says no then no deal. If he has nothing to hide, he shouldn't have a problem.

And nobody give me that crap about not giving you address to a stranger or anything like that. Haha.

NEVER give your address to a stranger (or anything like that).
Quote by esky15
A hot guitar should be ok as long as you get a bill of sale with his sig(ask for his id if you need). But yea, he's shady so I'd probably pass as well. First time he was a no show could possibly slide, but not continuously

Not at all, a stolen guitar is stolen regardless if you buy it from someone and get a bill of sale. If it is stolen and the police do find out, you will loose the guitar and the money you paid for it.

That is why places like PAWN shops get all your info and a photo ID. Because if it is stolen they loose the guitar and the money they gave you for it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Been looking around more and the guy's been using the site for over 3 years, considering the site is the biggest of it's kind here and they're quick to take down dodgy accounts for their own reputation, I'd say it's fairly reassuring that the guy's legit. Showing the serial number suggests it's not stolen as anyone looking for their stolen guitar being sold on would recognise it. The ad's been there for over 2 weeks. I've checked that there's been no reports of a stolen guitar of the kind anywhere around here. Some of his other items are for sale as pick up only so he isn't refusing to give his address out. I think if he was really shady he'd insist on posting it more than anything to maintain the distance.

I think he's just a bit unreliable in terms of dropping off. I've had a good think and been as careful as possible so I'm going ahead with it, I'll let you guys know if you're right.

Or not if he guts me at my front door.
Quote by Lord_Elmo at #33524199
Been looking around more and the guy's been using the site for over 3 years, considering the site is the biggest of it's kind here and they're quick to take down dodgy accounts for their own reputation, I'd say it's fairly reassuring that the guy's legit. Showing the serial number suggests it's not stolen as anyone looking for their stolen guitar being sold on would recognise it. The ad's been there for over 2 weeks. I've checked that there's been no reports of a stolen guitar of the kind anywhere around here. Some of his other items are for sale as pick up only so he isn't refusing to give his address out. I think if he was really shady he'd insist on posting it more than anything to maintain the distance.

I think he's just a bit unreliable in terms of dropping off. I've had a good think and been as careful as possible so I'm going ahead with it, I'll let you guys know if you're right.

Or not if he guts me at my front door.

Take a friend though, never know if he wants you to see his puppies or something.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd pass. Something doesn't sound right. Two missed meet ups and then he wants to send someone else in his place. Plausible deniability so later he can say "It wasn't me, I never met the guy". Doesn't make sense. My Spidey sensors are tingling.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I wouldn't worry about him trying to claim you hadn't paid. Once you've got the guitar, you're in the clear. Good luck.
All good guys, got the guitar, gave it a check over and it's all as should be. The guy was nice enough, signed a contract i wrote up that he had received payment for the guitar and would pass it on to the seller.

Turns out the owner was fairly young so was relying on getting dropped off which is why he couldn't manage the first meets.

Here's a pick of the beauty guys, thanks for your care though

http://i.imgur.com/k6Q01oB.jpg
Haha, i wish, it's an epi. However a 1998 Korean one so probably better than most the stuff coming out of gibson these days.
Wow, classy looking guitar. Black Beauty? Korea makes very good quality guitars. Nice purchase, glad it worked out for ya. I would have taken everyone else's stance on it.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Great. Nice guitar. I love Epiphone Les Paul's and own several. I understand from other postings on guitar sites that late 1997 to 1998 Korean Epi LP's were the best ones made. Mine are not that old but I seen that said on several blogs.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jul 31, 2015,
Yup, black beauty, very very nice other than the action being a bit low for my liking. Heard big stuff about korean guitars too and seems to be true from this one at least.
Quote by Lord_Elmo
All good guys, got the guitar, gave it a check over and it's all as should be. The guy was nice enough, signed a contract i wrote up that he had received payment for the guitar and would pass it on to the seller.

Turns out the owner was fairly young so was relying on getting dropped off which is why he couldn't manage the first meets.

Here's a pick of the beauty guys, thanks for your care though

http://i.imgur.com/k6Q01oB.jpg

THAT'S MY GUITAR, GIVE IT BACK!!!!

Just kiddin'.....enjoy!