I'm getting an acoustic-electric soon (as the seller gets back from vacation), assuming I like the way the guitar sounds/feels. What is a good amplifier to push it through? I have the little 12 watt amp from Epiphone for it's starter electric guitar package, but I think I can spring for something nicer
Well, I just bought one of these for $90.00! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-gtx60-60w-1x12-guitar-combo-amplifier?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=COmcwJLigccCFYUXHwodQ_MEmQ&kwid=productads-plaid^80558073867-sku^H85662000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

12" speaker, 60 watts RMS, a few built in effects, an effects send and return loop.

If you go to the electric forum, this amp will get stoned as, "the worst f***ing amp I've ever heard. That might be true as far as the gain channel goes.

But let me tell you, the clean channel is glorious for acoustic guitar.

The thing is quirky as all hell, but it's got a ton of power, and the 12" driver allows it to give a great bottom end, without any of the peakiness associated with smaller drivers, and especially smaller drivers in pairs.

The S/N ratio is good, the sucker weighs more than 25 pounds, and it's pretty. You can barely buy a 15 watt acoustic amp for that money, and it will have all this big amp's limitations!

If you're going to gig with an acoustic, this isn't the amp for you, as it doesn't have multiple channels with built in mixing. There you might have to step up to a PA and mixer, or something like a Carvin AC-100, (which basically can function as a PA w/mixing), and would set you back around 4 bills. This thing, 90 bucks, free shipping right to your front door.

(In fact, I even kick in the gain channel a teensy-tiny bit to play some of Pete Townshend's power chord "interludes". It makes "Behind Blue Eyes", sound a whole lot more realistic). Foot pedal for channel change included...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 29, 2015,
Hmmm....sounds interesting Cranky, but I was kinda also wanting something I could play my electrics through as well since I don't have a proper amp (just a small 12 watt practice amp).
Quote by TobusRex
Hmmm....sounds interesting Cranky, but I was kinda also wanting something I could play my electrics through as well since I don't have a proper amp (just a small 12 watt practice amp).
Well, the gain channel is workable, it's just that the input is too sensitive.

Acoustic on board preamps always have more output than all but active humbuckers. So that makes the threshold very low to drive the amp to full output. 60 watts clean, is pretty damn loud, and the amp has an effects loop. So, stuff your "Tube Screamer" in the effects loop, and play on the clean channel, "the tube simulation" works on both channels, muffing up the mid range and making it stand out a bit more. Plus it's got a mid scoop on the gain channel.

I think dirt sounds like crap when you're playing alone anyway. If you like to play high gain at low volume, a little Peavey Vypyr I, will give you a ton of amp models to work with.

Quote by Tony Done
^^^ I went the other way. I did all my (acoustic) gigs with a Peavey Classic 30 and later a Fender Blues Deluxe. I liked the tone, and the audience seemed happy enough with it. Importantly, they both had good spring reverb.
Almost any Fender tube would work for acoustic guitar. Fender's famously elegant clean settings, have powered generations of country music.

There' is a lot of shit going around about needing tweeters on an acoustic amp. Nonsense. I have a Peavey "eCoustic 208", and when you plug a 12 string into it, is sounds like the guitar has a clothes pin on its nose. the stupid drivers have whizzer cones on them, and unless you're 20 feet out in front of the amp the HF & LF sound streams are split.

And like you really need extended high frequency performance for something like a Taylor 12 string.

If you're in a crowded bar a tweeter might come in handy, as the crowd and glasses clanking will soak up your high end. But if you're at home sitting right next to the amp, no way.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 29, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done
^^^^ Also, some of the acoustic amp thing is about the various inputs, eg vocal mic. IMO, if all you want is a single guitar input, there could be a few good options. For example, I've thought in the past that a keyboard or pedal steel amp might do a good job.
Yeah well, that's what I was saying about the Carvin amp. That's 3 channels with mixing. So, the guitar goes in one, the mic into another, and the drum machine..(? ). goes into the 3rd.

OK, my bad, the correct part number is "AG-100D". Here's the link: http://www.carvinamplifiers.com/collections/acoustic-series/products/ag100d-100w-acoustic-guitar-amp-with-digital-effects

It's up to $439.00 now, as opposed to $350. last July...

My Peavey eCoustic 208 is a turd, "analog chorus" (almost pure noise generatorr), along with the worst spring reverb you've ever heard. It does have 2 channels, with mixing and XLR, its only saving grace. The S/N ratio is listed at 40 Db. Phew.

I will say I think the newer digital reverbs and choruses sound great with acoustic guitar.

My Crafter 12 string hybrids sound phenomenal through this Berhinger, never better. I may have to resort to some compression though. 60 watt amps have a lot of unpredictable, (or perhaps unavoidable), dynamic range....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 30, 2015,
I would suggest to try the Laney A1 if possible.
I am using it for many years in home and live gigs.
I've had good results with the Fishman Loud Box Mini. It has a gain control which allows me to compensate for pre-amped pickups, strict piece pickups and even the humbuckers on my LP. It also has a mike channel and a PA out jack.

Harvey Reid uses the full-size Loud Box for all his instruments (albeit with a digital signal processor in front.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Lots of good choices. Depends on your planned use, music style and budget. This is my favorite amp for acoustic guitar. Put a digital multi effects pedal in front and it is a pretty awesome setup for electric as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Voice-ZLX12P-Two-Way-Powered-Loudspeaker/dp/B00CE0VLXO
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thanks for the responses guys. I've reassessed my needs and feel that I was suffering from GAS at the time I posted this thread. Plus the jackass who posted the Taylor 110e for $400 changed his mind. I should sue his ass.

Since I'm not going to be playing in front of any crowds for awhile I think I'll make do with what I have (Taylor Big Baby). It's a pretty good guitar to keep learning on, I have my electrics to jack around on if I feel like it