so about 8 months ago my electric guitar broke, before then I had made a lot of progress. I practiced at LEAST an hour and half every and I became pretty proficient at playing advanced music, metal, progressive ect cetera , when my guitar broke I was basically forced to go on a 8 month long hiatus where I didn't play anything period and got addicted to video games, thankfully I just purchased a new Gibson explorer, I said to myself "hey I'm just gonna start back where I left off, playing 10 minute Metallica covers with solos", unfortunately when I try to play these again it sounds **** awful to put it lightly, so my question is, should I start from scratch bite the bullet and re learn basic fundamentals again, as painful as it is?
You're mechanics are somewhere in a dark place in your brain. Just keep at it. You'll start to get your old technique back as you play. Just practice slowly at first. It won't be 8 months untill you get back to where you left in your ''hiatus''. I'd say 2 months at max to get you back to your old level.
Yea what he said.

It's muscle memory. Soon enough your muscles and brain will remember and start to readjust or relearn everything.
Quote by liampje
You're mechanics are somewhere in a dark place in your brain. Just keep at it. You'll start to get your old technique back as you play. Just practice slowly at first. It won't be 8 months untill you get back to where you left in your ''hiatus''. I'd say 2 months at max to get you back to your old level.

It's funny you say this, because for me it takes a lot longer to get back to where I was after a break. I play pretty regularly, and at one stage I went on a 4 month overseas holiday and wasn't able to play guitar for all of it.

Playing at the same frequency that I did before I went on holiday, I reckon it took 8 months to get back to where I was before my 4 month holiday.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's funny you say this, because for me it takes a lot longer to get back to where I was after a break. I play pretty regularly, and at one stage I went on a 4 month overseas holiday and wasn't able to play guitar for all of it.

Playing at the same frequency that I did before I went on holiday, I reckon it took 8 months to get back to where I was before my 4 month holiday.

It's because the level of the mechanics. Compare it to an astronaut that needs to learn to walk again after half a year.

I bet if Usain Bolt stopped running for that same time, it would take him longer to get back at where he was at than the astronaut.
^^^ Yeah that's true. I think part of it is also your perception of how good you thought you were previously. You just mayn't have been as good as you think you were, so end up aiming for a higher level and are not satisfied until you achieve it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Yeah that's true. I think part of it is also your perception of how good you thought you were previously. You just mayn't have been as good as you think you were, so end up aiming for a higher level and are not satisfied until you achieve it.

I bet you dreamt of outshredding Yngwie and Gilbert on that 4 month holiday.