Hey guys I'm looking for a good amp for gigging in Small Medium and Large venues I have found the TC Electronic BG250 for £300 and I've been told it will be loud enough but I need more opinions as I don't know much about amps can you guys help me please?!
That amp is a small-club and rehearsal amp, not something for Medium and Large venues.
depends to some extent on what cab/cabs you pair it with. also depends on what kind of music you play. but i wouldn't recommend it for large gigs. for those i'd suggest more wattage and plenty of speaker frontage with lots of excursion would be a plus so you can move more air. when i was playing alt punk and metal with a hard-hitting drummer, i needed over 600 watts with a 15" and a 2x10" cab, where when playing pop, classic and soft rock 250 watts and a 15" or more would have been fine - but not for a large venue or a packed medium venue.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Jul 30, 2015,
you're probably gonna have a DI run-in for large gigs

as long as you can be felt and heard over your bandmates in normal rehearsal conditions (ie not drowned out by the drums, enough headroom to not squish your sound, cuts through the guitars), you'll be good. if not, add an external speaker.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jul 31, 2015,
Quote by Hail
you're probably gonna have a DI run-in for large gigs

as long as you can be felt and heard over your bandmates in normal rehearsal conditions (ie not drowned out by the drums, enough headroom to not squish your sound, cuts through the guitars), you'll be good. if not, add an external speaker.

Adding an external speaker is unlikely to make a significant difference other than to increase the chances that he'll hear amp/speaker farting out.

Guitar can usually be run into the PA system, Bass sometimes not. Depends on the PA. I've run into "PA for vocals only," "We can mike up a guitar, but drums and bass will have to power through on their own."
Quote by dspellman
Adding an external speaker is unlikely to make a significant difference other than to increase the chances that he'll hear amp/speaker farting out.

if you put your amp at 11, yeah. i don't see what you're getting at by suggesting that an amp that was designed to be able to stack with another cabinet shouldn't be ran with another cabinet

and i have never had that experience with the DI outside of like, house shows. you must play some really horrible gigs, or you come in with a guitarist that has a 15w tube amp and you carry in a 4x12
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Used to do a Yamaha PB-1 and a Crown MicroTech 1000 for my Rig, whatever size. THe Cab was a 3.2 Cu' with 1xJBL 2255 and 2xJBL8110.

Opening for Petra, ClaireBros was running the sound and I shut down the Amp and waived my cabinet off the stage at the first sound check.

Awesome beyond compare, maybe then again an 18" W Loaded Cerwin with an Ampeg 8x10 crossed over at 60hz was comparable.

Played an out doors gig a week ago at Corpus Christi Schlitterbahn, was not sure who was running the sound so I brought everything in the GBE line.....

2x Genz Benz NeoX 400's as Second Stage Preamp and Side wash for close in SPL.
2x Genz Benz GBE1200's a 2 Ohms slaved to run the back line.
2x Genz Benz NeoX 4x12 Towers = 2x NeoX 112T and 1x NeoX 212T

Never passed 3 on the 1200s and ran the 2 Combos a 5.

1 Happy camper.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Hail
if you put your amp at 11, yeah. i don't see what you're getting at by suggesting that an amp that was designed to be able to stack with another cabinet shouldn't be ran with another cabinet

and i have never had that experience with the DI outside of like, house shows. you must play some really horrible gigs, or you come in with a guitarist that has a 15w tube amp and you carry in a 4x12

The point is that simply adding another cabinet might not assist his volume problem.

I have no idea what you're saying in the second sentence.
Quote by dspellman
The point is that simply adding another cabinet might not assist his volume problem.

I have no idea what you're saying in the second sentence.

how would double the air moved plus a higher wattage conversion view impedance drop not add more volume unless his amp is pre-rated to run at a set impedance (which it isn't)?
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
We can give you loads of suggestions but 1. Are you looking for an amp (head) alone or a combo? And 2. Is £300 your maximum budget?

I was going to buy a TC E combo until I read a lot of complaints about it online due to them randomly crapping out completely. Clearly they cut corners to cut the weight down. Unless you really need a lightweight combo then I'd recommend a Hartke.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Aug 9, 2015,
I have a BG-250. It has been relegated to practice amp duty. I've taken it on about 3 gigs and never been satisified with the tone I get.

I think this is mainly because it is a "modern-voiced" amp and I play vintage classic rock. Also, it sounds best (IHMO) with a Jazz bass, but it doesn't seem to like dark P-basses and/or Gibson basses, although all my P-basses and Gibsons sound great through an Aguilar ToneHammer.

With the smaller venues I do (up to about 150 people) it's plenty loud enough but there is no provision for adding an external speaker. The internal speaker is already 4 ohms, there is no speaker extension jack, and even if there was an add-on speaker would drop the impedance below the BG-250's 4-ohm minimum load.

It does have some nice features, like the built-in tuner, mute switch, and a balanced XLR out, but I find the TonePrint feature pretty useless and there is no headphone jack.

I guess the biggest gripe I have with it is that it is extremely susceptible to hum. Fluorescent lights, transformers, and such cause it to hum pretty loudly. Even humbucker basses will hum as the hum is coming from sources outside the bass itself.

So... for all those reasons, as well as the fact that the TH-500 is so superior for my style of music, the amp has become merely a practice amp. Might work well for you, I dunno, but it's really not my cup of tea.
You only need to be as loud as the drummer and with a reasonably efficient speaker this amp should be able to do it, though as mentioned it does have a 'modern' sound which you may not like. Doubling up your cabs will give you an extra 6db which is an appreciable increase in volume.

Go louder than the drummer and he/she will need to be miked up, at this point it is better to mic/DI everything so extra money spent on the PA will give you a better sound. Find 'Making It Loud' in the columns and it'll explain about volumes.
Quote by Phil Starr
You only need to be as loud as the drummer and with a reasonably efficient speaker this amp should be able to do it, though as mentioned it does have a 'modern' sound which you may not like. Doubling up your cabs will give you an extra 6db which is an appreciable increase in volume.

Go louder than the drummer and he/she will need to be miked up, at this point it is better to mic/DI everything so extra money spent on the PA will give you a better sound. Find 'Making It Loud' in the columns and it'll explain about volumes.

As mentioned above, at least some of these units are already producing all they can at 4 ohms and an extra cabinet isn't likely to be in the cards.

In my experience, some venues in the "medium to large" (but not arena size) range actually prefer NOT to DI the bass, even though they'll mike drums and guitars and will take the keys directly into the board as well. If the bass player has adequate power and cabinetry, they'll often leave him alone, until they get to a size (or stage volume gets to a point) where they simply need to run him through the subs. VERY rare to find them miking a bass; it's all DI when it happens.

Some of the bassists I've worked with (and this applies to me too, now that I'm doing a bit of bass work myself) have bass amps with 1500-2000W RMS and bass cabinets that will handle 900W each. For example, my Carvin BX1500 outputs about 900W, 8 ohms, bridged mono into a single fEARful 15/6/1 cabinet. That's a pretty decent basic rig for maybe 85% of jobs. Two cabinets get 1500W, bridged mono, at 4 ohms. On very rare occasions, I've run an additional power amp with similar output and a pair of similar speakers (fEARless F115s).

My practice rig is the Carvin bass amp plus a single F115 or a Pod Bass XT through the 1500W power amp and that F115. The F115 can be used as a tilted floor monitor, and that's perfect for practice. The whole thing is quite light and pretty easy to carry around.
I just got kicked off the talkbass forum for answering this same sort of question wrong in the majority's eyes.

Like Phil, they all said add a cabinet.

Me I do not want another cabinet to lug around all the time, unless I am getting some appreciable wattage for it.

Me, I said an 800w cabinet is not really being used until you give it 800w, and running less power tempts you to turn up the amp all the way where the redline of the signal likely blows speakers.

Someone claimed that more powerful amps do not make proper tone until a whole lot of power is put through them,

I suggested that this was wrong as preamps and preamp sections make great tone in studios all day everyday, even Walter Woods 2Kw amps make great tone at low volume.

They threw me out.

Nice gear for sale section, but they are NAZI's.

Who said Neanderthal Man went extinct 20 Million years ago?
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Talkbass is too big for its own good, it's just a melting pot for misinformation and fanboyism. I've never really understood the point of any amp running more than 500w as any venue large enough to need that wattage is going to have a PA to match.
Spaz, I have been outside and had to run outside the PA.

Not a venue, and definitely not a real PA Company.

I have played with Claire Brothers running the sound. It never has ever been any better, Big rigs are really just me dealing with more gear.

I deal with Gear now #1 for show, and #2 if they have a sound guy from LA as I never heard one when I was there who appeared to know what he was doing. Stunning.

It is nice to know that 1200 Genz watts will cover an outdoor festival, but power is always a thing that must be handled judiciously, and it can be.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by Spaz91
Talkbass is too big for its own good, it's just a melting pot for misinformation and fanboyism. I've never really understood the point of any amp running more than 500w as any venue large enough to need that wattage is going to have a PA to match.

Setting an arbitrary wattage ceiling is also misinformed, IMHO.

It's about moving air, about smoothness of response and about not having your speakers fart out, and about preventing amp power from being wasted. That opens up discussions about Xmax, cabinet design, HPFs and a whole lot more than simply overall volume. In the end, pointing at 500W and saying that's the limit means almost nothing at all.

Worth noting that companies like Carvin have a 500W bass amp, just *one* amp that has less than 500W, and *five* that have more (three have 1500W or more).

When I put together my bass rig, I did NOT go to Guitar Splinter and have one of their experts point at stuff and write me up. I've dealt with bass players for years, and while I didn't know the first thing about playing bass or which bass amps did what, it was pretty easy to simply shut my mouth and listen.

I'd say that Talkbass is more than "just a melting pot for misinformation and fanboyism," though there's some of that on almost any forum on the internet. Just, again, IMHO.
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 19, 2015,
Talkbass is actually better named Groupthink, or KoolaidDrink.

I understand Spaz's main point, in a perfect world.

With Claire Brothers running the sound, I waived my rig off the stage during sound check and the union hands took it away, except my preamp. I had ZERO Watts.

This is what I got into trouble with on the KoolAidBass was explaining that adding cabinets does not necessarily make any solution, as Hail points out and I AGREE.

The facts I gave well demonstrated Spaz's point as well, and this was a Guitarist who fired me for being too loud when all I had was a 212 NeoX Cab and he had 6 4x12 cabinets.

Well, of course I had 425w at 4 Ohms and he had 2 100 Watt Solid State amps not designed to handle much less than 8 Ohms. But where was his 6db X 4 for his extra cabinets gnawing on his power transistors?

Where dspell?

The KoolAid groupthinkers balked at me and then piled on all over me saying that it could not happen. They suggested that I was trying to sell something and should go kill myself. Sick people.

I argued balance, matching, and headroom, avoiding overdriven power.

They argued formulas, adding cabinets, and paying homage to engineers who designed the gear I was working with but did not remember the operational layout nor parameters of operation of the gear. (Yes, I caught the guy on one thing and did not expose him on the second thing, because what is the point? he has moved on in his career.)

So, be careful who you listen to.

In every single case where I have had blown speakers, it was where there was well less than 50% of the wattage available to the handling capacity of the speaker loads. EVERY TIME. NO EXCEPTIONS.

In every case I inherited the problem.

The average person will take a rig underpowered to their application, redline it wanting more, and blow.

The issue is a systemic one. One solution can cause another problem that will escape the average operator who has no clue about prudent operation of the equipment.

So I say, Nothing says loud like wattage.

My Dad, who is not an electronic musician, but is a mathematician, chemical and structural engineer published in the Library of Congress, and a choral director and did the acoustical research and sound reinforcement research for the acoustically perfect church he helped plant and build with one of the first digital organs, was told of this controversy by me said "Cannot argue against wattage son."

I have performed at ZERO watts in the perfect world.
I have replaced EV12L voice coils over and over again as the Guitarist owner of the system insisted on running 4 of them with one side of a Peavey CS 800.

The only speakers I have seen eat the power amps on an underohm and underpower scenario were the legendary Gauss 18", 4 of them melting power transistors on the other side of the CS800 almost every night. They were designed not to care about heat.

Dspellman has a point that if the bassist is playing death metal, 500w balanced system is not quite going to make the operator happy in the end.

Yet, generally, Spaz is correct. Most bassists will never need more than 500w.

Me, given the energy and venue, I want the 1200watts in case the engineer from LA uses the Suck knob on the board. I want the 1200w backup, I want the backline visual, and I really had a blast having 600w side wash from my own 2 combo stack from my most favorite amps of all time (and they were not Ampeg).

Great to have when Claire Brothers is not around.

So, you want a great little gigging rig.

Go get one of the following:

SanAmp stomp box (very impressive)
Yamaha PB-1 (I am nostagic)
Digitech BP-8 (it has a 12AX7!)
or
Ashley BP-41 (Geddy's old Pre from ages ago)

Then go get a single Yamaha DSR115 powered PA cabinet.

After that, go tell everyone else to SUCK IT!

Do the research on what is for sale at the store. Save yourself some pain,
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by Sliide90027

Who said Neanderthal Man went extinct 20 Million years ago?

No-one, I think, they went extinct about 40,000 years ago (current best estimates, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 20, 2015,
Only 40K?

They are still leached into the gene pool!
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
yeah i think they think humans and neanderthals did interbreed, according to the dna record.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sliide90027

With Claire Brothers running the sound, I waived my rig off the stage during sound check and the union hands took it away, except my preamp. I had ZERO Watts.

I'm unclear on this -- were you not playing (essentially) or was your preamp running direct (in which case you had whatever watts were available in the PA system).

Quote by Sliide90027
This is what I got into trouble with on the KoolAidBass was explaining that adding cabinets does not necessarily make any solution, as Hail points out and I AGREE.

Just so that you're aware, I'm the one who said, "The point is that simply adding another cabinet might not assist his volume problem. "

Quote by Sliide90027
Well, of course I had 425w at 4 Ohms and he had 2 100 Watt Solid State amps not designed to handle much less than 8 Ohms. But where was his 6db X 4 for his extra cabinets gnawing on his power transistors?

Where dspell?

If your soiid state amp isn't designed to produce more power at a lower impedance, then...it won't. And if you lower the impedance a whole lot, the poor thing will be pretty seriously unstable.

Quote by Sliide90027
Me, given the energy and venue, I want the 1200watts in case the engineer from LA uses the Suck knob on the board. I want the 1200w backup, I want the backline visual, and I really had a blast having 600w side wash from my own 2 combo stack from my most favorite amps of all time (and they were not Ampeg).

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but my bass rig includes a Carvin BX1500, an HD1500 power amp, a pair of fEARful 15/6/1s and a pair of fEARless F115s. To be honest, these cabinets also get to run modeled guitar and/or a pair of keyboards when they're not running bass. I don't need or use all of them most of the time (and I really don't need a backline visual). Most of the time a single cabinet is plenty (either of the amps puts out around 900W bridged/mono at 8 ohms). FWIW, their baffles are reversed, so that I can stack them with the mids and tweeters directly over one another in vertical alignment.

give me a link to that Talkbass discussion. I have a feeling there's more to it than this...
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think they think humans and neanderthals did interbreed, according to the dna record.

You are correct, sir. I think they're settling on the 40,000 year mark for when most Neanderthals were pretty much gone, but Sapiens started sneaking out of Africa maybe 20,000 years before that. Not a LOT of interaction, probably, but the DNA record says there's definitely something there.
Dspell - First Question - I myself had no watts. The 4 Meyers wedges on the L/R Side Fills were incredible. I have never been the same since.

Dspell- First correction - If that is so, then it is so. I was either moving too fast or asleep.

Dspell - First analysis - exactly. Which is why I do not tell people that their gear is no good. I recommend more headroom wattage to drive a hungry cabinet, before they become a cabinet slave like me.

(In my own mess, I work to balance and match a system, whatever it is. I have had suspicion regarding the mismatched 425w driving 600w of speakers in the GB Combo stack as I faced off 400w of Marshall amp, the problem was the PreAmp is in every way perfect, and going up to the 1200w Genz Benz Amps the perfect circuit was not employed.)

Nevertheless, the KoolAidBass drinkers over there refused to make a logical comment on how I was able to push the Guitarist to the wall with only 2 12" speakers to his 24.

Watts and Ohms, the only things as end users that we have control over. Sensitivity and ethereal Efficiency are not in our purview and reach.

Clearly, there are times that you can get another cabinet and get an appreciable gain in wattage, but the above instance was not going to be one of them, and belied the general application of a specialized conclusion of the KoolAide drinkers.

Their reliance upon the engineer of the amps I used was no help at all because I found him so disconnected from language and unresponsive that he was incapable of accepting a compliment and a thanks for his design.

I attempted to make a point about the balance of a system. Not theory.

It appears that you, unlike the TalkCave People, are willing to consider the finer point of Ohm's Law in the operation of equipment. The neanderthals would not have it.

Facing the open Public question of a guy running a GK 700 into an 800Watt 4x10 cab, who is playing death metal with 2 Guitarists with 4x12 Half Stacks, the poor guy only has 480W and less than half the surface area.

My 40 years of experience says he is going to turn up, clip, and blow speakers. (In fact he made a post where he already admitted to doing so with a 320w amp/500w cab system before, and they called the Mod on me when I pointed that out.) So I recommended wattage, and the neanderthals commences the stone pillory. I must have mistaken the KoolAid forum as being open to comments by the great unbrainwashed such as myself.

I will probably be forever traumatized and trapped in that moment of that attack, and may never be able to have a theoretical discussion about the addition of a cabinet and 120 watts making 6 more db and thus doubling a volume. So, please forgive me. I know that it did not happen for that poor guitar player as he kept adding cabinets.

(I laugh at how he added and EQ and swept the darned thing vainly reaching for the heavy tone he wanted, and it still sounded like an electric razor.)

That kid and his RB700, he should have just gone and borrowed a 800w power amp and driven it with his effect send to see that I was right. GEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!

Give me appreciable wattage, and I will make appreciable volume.

RE: Your Rig - DSPELL!!!! DANG!!!! Another Human Being who understands Phase Alignment!!! WhoooooHooooo!

I cannot give you the KooAidBass link as my screen comes up with a BANNED message if I try to go there at all.

The Neanderthal genes appear to have become dominant in part of the Human population and they are gathering at KoolAidBass.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
^ Yeah I was going to say I wasn't convinced the neanderthals had died out yet

Though I think that's a slur on the neanderthals... as far as I'm aware in the early years of natural history studying we pretty much did a character assassination, apparently they were a lot more cultured than the conventional wisdom states (and maybe more cultured than humans).

Quote by dspellman
You are correct, sir. I think they're settling on the 40,000 year mark for when most Neanderthals were pretty much gone, but Sapiens started sneaking out of Africa maybe 20,000 years before that. Not a LOT of interaction, probably, but the DNA record says there's definitely something there.

I'll defer to the guy who was around back then

But yeah, seriously, that's what I've read too. I actually thought it was slightly less long ago than that (maybe 30k), but when I checked wiki they said 40k so maybe they've come across newer evidence recently.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 23, 2015,
Quote by Sliide90027
Dspell - First Question - I myself had no watts. The 4 Meyers wedges on the L/R Side Fills were incredible. I have never been the same since.

Dspell- First correction - If that is so, then it is so. I was either moving too fast or asleep.

Dspell - First analysis - exactly. Which is why I do not tell people that their gear is no good. I recommend more headroom wattage to drive a hungry cabinet, before they become a cabinet slave like me.

(In my own mess, I work to balance and match a system, whatever it is. I have had suspicion regarding the mismatched 425w driving 600w of speakers in the GB Combo stack as I faced off 400w of Marshall amp, the problem was the PreAmp is in every way perfect, and going up to the 1200w Genz Benz Amps the perfect circuit was not employed.)

Nevertheless, the KoolAidBass drinkers over there refused to make a logical comment on how I was able to push the Guitarist to the wall with only 2 12" speakers to his 24.

RE: Your Rig - DSPELL!!!! DANG!!!! Another Human Being who understands Phase Alignment!!! WhoooooHooooo!

Meyers stuff is SO nice. And SO expensive. And SO heavy.
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'll defer to the guy who was around back then

But yeah, seriously, that's what I've read too. I actually thought it was slightly less long ago than that (maybe 30k), but when I checked wiki they said 40k so maybe they've come across newer evidence recently.

I think they're dancing around a major volcano eruption about 39,000 years ago, but I honestly don't think all the evidence is in yet. I was taught 30K years as well, but now the theory is, "Before the eruption, Neanderthal settlements. After, we don't see many."

Just because I drag my knuckles...
yeah. I was never taught any of it, I'm just interested, but based on what I'd read before 40k sounded a bit too long ago. it's always possible i'm just misremembering, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by aaronfield6
Hey guys I'm looking for a good amp for gigging in Small Medium and Large venues I have found the TC Electronic BG250 for £300 and I've been told it will be loud enough but I need more opinions as I don't know much about amps can you guys help me please?!

I have an important question.

What do you want to sound like? The gear you choose to buy, regardless of how loud it gets, will affect your tone and the overall impact you have in the band.

Every component of your gear will have a huge impact on tone. Start there. Find bassist whose tone you like and figure out what they're using.
Last edited by jackbutt at Aug 24, 2015,
Quote by jackbutt
I have an important question.

What do you want to sound like? The gear you choose to buy, regardless of how loud it gets, will affect your tone and the overall impact you have in the band.

Every component of your gear will have a huge impact on tone. Start there. Find bassist whose tone you like and figure out what they're using.

I actually bought the TC Electronic BG250 and I've played 3 gigs with it already and it is managing to hold it's own against the drums and guitars it's gives me orgasmic lows and amazing highs, and if I crank up the mid it sounds amazing, brilliant all round amp I'm in love with it!
Quote by aaronfield6
I it's gives me orgasmic lows and amazing highs, and if I crank up the mid it sounds amazing, brilliant all round amp I'm in love with it!

Orgasmic?

Glad you're happy. We should refer anyone else reading this, however, that you didn't HAVE an amp before this one, and essentially nothing to compare it with

How big were these gigs?
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 25, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Orgasmic?

Glad you're happy. We should refer anyone else reading this, however, that you didn't HAVE an amp before this one, and essentially nothing to compare it with

How big were these gigs?

Yes orgasmic

I do have a tiny 10w amp that I use at home it's dying on me unfortunately

I did try out various amps before buying this one, I tried out the ASHDOWN ABM-115 BLUELINE BASS CABINET - 300W, Gallien-Krueger MB 108 U.L. 25-Watt 1 X 8" Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier and the other TC Electronic BG250 which has 2, 10 inch custom drivers and I've came to the conclusion with the TC Electronic BG250 with one speaker on it.

I had heard TC electronics were reliable from various sources (sound guys, musicians and youtubers) so I was heading more towards TC electronics
Last edited by aaronfield6 at Aug 26, 2015,
Yes Jack, that is the way to go, if you want to sound like someone else in particular.

Back long ago I did a nice Geddy tone with a Handmade Mockingbird and a Yamaha PB-1. But nobody was doing that already, and few were into the PB-1 as Geddy was using the Ashley B-41.

Sometimes it pays to not follow a track.

Amp companies have done much to niche their tones for the sake of their Brand, or they just have a singular idea of what Bass must sound like.

Music Stores survive by SELLING the merchandise from the companies that they have bet their bank accounts on. Going with the pack is the safe road in business models. What else can they really do?

All of this of course goes out the window when one gets into the studio with the traditionalists who will not allow an amp into the studio and make you run into a direct box and let the Neve do all the work. (That was practically my first studio experience, Atlanta Sound Stage where Kansas cut some serious gold on that 48 channel Neve. I was mesmerized.)

A scary thing for Tone*****s like me.

The whole exercise kind of denies the user the adventure of undiscovered country.

I bought my first amp after not having one for 16 years because a childhood friend of and Pall Bearer of Cliff Burton's heard me and told me I "have to play for people again."

I was not going back to the dreams of biamping again with a Rack and a Yamaha PB-1. So, I looked for a powerful combo amp with S/S Pre, no less than 300w, and a Baltic Birch Cabinet. (It took owning a Fender Bassman to be cured of running Tube Power. Too unreliable.)

In the end of the search it was the Birch that mattered, I was not going to get to hear the amp before I bought it. Never heard of Genz Benz before, but I did build speaker cabinets with the guy who built the system for No Show George Jones.

He built some awe inspiring Conch cabinets with not a straight line in the baffle, with 2 18" Gauss speakers and 11 ply baltic birch that made him drool when they returned to his shop for a check after 10 years. Moved them many times with the Christian Rock Band, but never played through them directly solo. I swore I would never get addicted to such things.

The combo I got was nice at first. I even made use of the tube preamp that it also had, just for the novelty of it, as the Digitech BP8 already had a tube pre I was using before.

Now I am addicted. Since the Genz GBE600 has the same Pre, I sent one to an old boss of mine, Andy Fuchs of Fuchs Amplifier fame.

I just heard from him today that he believes that he will be removing the Preamp stage from the GBE 600 and getting it into a 1U Space chassis for me. I am very excited about this.

So, I went outside of my expectations and knowledge, and it paid off, as I have had so many people, even non musicians, comment about the tone of the Bass. It made the Music Director of Dollywood drool in 2007 when I participated in the open audition. The man was stunned as he looked at my resume and asked "where have you been?"

Yes, I disappeared for 16 years after opening almost every major chrisitian music festival and being practically run out of the business.

Kind of satisfying that Cliff's friend was right, and I should just keep trying. Yes, keep trying in the face of hearing and meeting Adam Nitti when he was only 16. dang.

I never got the same response on the PB-1. Yet....

when bass amps really started coming into their own back then, when it had just been either Peavey or Acoustic, when Mesa came out with the all tube 400's. GK came out of nowhere, SWR burst on to the scene, and Trace-Elliot was not quite known, I visited all the stores and played everything, asking my Drummer and my Guitarist at every try out of the latest and greatest gear "which sounds best".

These two guys were not cultured nor really experienced, but each said "the Yamaha PB-1 and...{whatever power amp and cabinet I was running at that time}.

There are three PB-1's over here, part nostalgia, part security blanket. I recorded a song in 2007 with the PB-1, but in Hollywood I recorded for a guy from the Genz. He was deeply impressed with the Tone from the BP-8 at the audition, but his jaw dropped when I added the Genz.

I took some gambles.

It looks like I have been really lucky in the tone department. At least I have that.

Then again, it has only been since picking up the basswood basses I play, that inspiration into my hands, that is separate from my thinking, has come to my playing. It has never been like this before.

Perhaps the joy of the Instrument is all in its Tone.

So you ask what kind of tone? Geddy, Stanley Clarke, Entwistle in "My Generation", Mark King, somewhere in there, that Modern Hi-Fi thing.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B