No, really.

You know how people are becoming more and more aware of the unrealistic beauty standards set by supermodels? The problem is, the average lady is not a supermodel. So these average ladies try to achieve an unrealistic standard of beauty.

I think that's kind of the same thing for guitarists. We're trying to achieve this unrealistic standard of tone. Except it is realistic because people have that tone, I just need the same amp they used...
GAS was Nickelodeon's Games and Sports network.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
These two phenomena you describe aren't really alike. As far as I'm concerned, collecting guitars is just an example of people wanting things, not a reflection of some other unrelated thing.

With that said, I'll have some of what you're smoking.

Also,

2 C8H18 + 25 O2 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O.
Free Ali
Quote by Will Lane
The problem is, the average lady is not a supermodel. So these average ladies try to achieve an unrealistic standard of beauty.
I don't think they do try.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
gear acquisition syndrome is a coping mechanism used by guitarists to justify the amount of time and effort they've put into learning to play an antiquated and irrelevant musical instrument
Quote by The Judist at #33524432
I don't think they do try.

well, some of them do
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by So-Cal
gear acquisition syndrome is a coping mechanism used by guitarists to justify the amount of time and effort they've put into learning to play an antiquated and irrelevant musical instrument

Denigration is a coping mechanism used by failed guitarists who were/are unable to achieve even basic competency playing the guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Will Lane
I just need the same amp they used...

Amps have a factor too. That piece of shit Roland 10A isn't going to accentuate that solo you're trying to do, but It's certainly unnecessary to buy a $2,000 signature model amp to get "The Right Tone".