Poll: Is it ever possible to not be prejudiced?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it ever possible to not be prejudiced?
Yes
11 28%
No
29 73%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 4
Is it ever possible to not be prejudiced?

To not make any judgements on someone, going further than their ethnicity, but not making a judgement based on what their hair is like, what clothes or shoes they wear, their weight and how they present themselves?

Is this possible, or is there always going to be some sort of element of prejudice towards people, based upon their surface qualities, before you get to know them well?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Fat Lard
Every time I see an ETR thread I think "terrible" so there's that

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nah people are always prejudiced. I like to think of avoiding prejudice in the same way that zen buddhist texts talk about "zen":

You will always slip into prejudice. To avoid prejudice is not a static state but a constant process. You must always be in dialogue with yourself to recognize it - often it only shows itself in hindsight.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

People who claim to be unprejudiced are often violently prejudiced against people who are openly prejudiced.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No. It's in human nature to be prejudiced.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
if you keep saying prejudiced over and over again it eventually loses it's meaning therefore eliminating prejudice
Quote by vintage x metal
Nah people are always prejudiced. I like to think of avoiding prejudice in the same way that zen buddhist texts talk about "zen":

You will always slip into prejudice. To avoid prejudice is not a static state but a constant process. You must always be in dialogue with yourself to recognize it - often it only shows itself in hindsight.

Well said.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ thanks Arby!

we should find a really hot smart nice hetero couple and make them procreate and name their baby Prejudice so then we can all say nice things to Prejudice
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I personally think everyone has prejudice.

However what's important is that you do not act on your prejudice.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Prejudice doesn't have to be bad. Like sometimes you can tell that somebody is a*somebody* just by looking at them. The way they dress and act. And being a *somebody* is way better a *nobody* most of the time. Assuming good things about people.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ yes there is plenty of positive prejudice

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I personally think everyone has prejudice.

However what's important is that you do not act on your prejudice.

well yeah but first you have to recognize your prejudice to not act on it

it's not often that people say "Hmm I can be kind of racist so I am not going to do ____"

it's usually more like "oh shit that thing I said may have come off racist now that I think about it/someone has told me, I should be more cognizant in the future and/or maybe apologize for before"
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Last edited by vintage x metal at Jul 30, 2015,
I can't be prejudiced if I'm dead.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Everyone is prejudiced.
Hell, even that statement makes me prejudiced against everyone by saying they are prejudiced. What a world.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I can't be prejudiced because tumblr said my obscure personality trait that I let define me has made me immune to being so.

#JusticeForAttackHelicopters
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by vintage x metal at #33524576

word

Some prejudice is good though, for example I would never let somebody super into anime babysit my kids.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
word

Some prejudice is good though, for example I would never let somebody super into anime babysit my kids.

true

I don't think prejudice is always a bad thing. I just think it's good to be aware of so that you have a gauge of when it is happening and why. Sort of like how conflict is not always bad and is often necessary.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by ErikLensherr
word

This.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by BreatheOver
Pride and Prejudice was a terrible book and a terrible movie. Worst movie I've had to sit through in my entire life.

That's all I have to say about that.

Have you tried Pride And Prejudice And Zombies?

It's just as awful,but it has zombies and kung fu.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Uncomfortable premise for an argument. Basically turns into "aren't we always gonna be prejudiced so let's not do anything about racism/sexism".

Be willing to earnestly self-examine and understand how your prejudices work.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Uncomfortable premise for an argument. Basically turns into "aren't we always gonna be prejudiced so let's not do anything about racism/sexism".

It's about acknowledging your prejudices

and learning to look beyond them

Quote by ali.guitarkid7

This is what pretty much everyone in the thread is saying.
Quote by Diemon Dave
ali has to go straight to "everyone else is a terrible person" before actually reading what people are saying though

To be fair, I am a terrible person.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EndTheRapture51
ali has to go straight to "everyone else is a terrible person" before actually reading what people are saying though

I've had three discussions a bunch of times

Learning to look post them isn't a solution if you were being serious
Quote by Fat Lard
Every time I see an ETR thread I think "terrible" so there's that

yeah
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

yeah.

I think everyone's worldview is influenced by prejudice 'cause we live in a highly discriminatory world and all that. 'everyone is a little racist/sexist' (as in the actual bad intent kind not ignorant kind) seems like a bad attempt at justifying their own prejudices. the human nature argument in general is a just a bad attempt at prolonging stupid shit (usually with some 'people=shit' undertones lol).

judging someone 'cause they have a tattoo and things like that fall into this category too. nobody is biologically destined to think this way, it's thousands of years of complex social conditioning. shrugging it off as 'human nature' isn't going to change anything (of course the people who say stuff like that will look for any reason to justify their prejudice).
I'm prejudiced against arsenal fans.
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by sashki
Newborn babies don't know shit and therefore cannot be prejudiced, so in the broadest possible sense, it is technically possible to not be prejudiced.

But they're also pretty much unaware of the world around them, and don't understand most of what they are aware of.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by BreatheOver
Pride and Prejudice was a terrible book and a terrible movie. Worst movie I've had to sit through in my entire life.

That's all I have to say about that.

Which version did you watch? BBC mini-series is GOAT
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Is there any point where you are not prejudiced at all, even after interacting with someone?
Every time you interact with someone else, you get to know more things about them, and you get to realize stuff about them too. But you can't know them 100%, nor know all their secrets, passions, thoughts, feelings, etc. There are things about them that you can't possibly know or infer, and yet you still judge them accordingly to what you perceive of them at the time (ej: people that are nice towards you who end up being terrible human beings, etc).

You can't be unprejudiced, basically by definition. However, the point is to not be an idiot, asshole, or humanity's shitstain regarding it.
Here's how I'd put it simply: some people aren't aware of their prejudice, and should be — these are the vast majority of people who can't understand why we need to talk about prejudice in modern society, because they don't see it as real or they'll argue that it's an outlier; some people are aware of their prejudice, and they ignore or justify it — these are the "I'm not racist, but black people are..." and the "Aren't we all prejudiced anyway?" varieties; finally some people are aware of their prejudices, and they earnestly look at them and try to understand where they all came from. Be of the last variety, because it makes you less blind, more fair, more empathetic, and paradoxically more and less self-interested. All are great qualities to boast about at house parties.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 30, 2015,
Quote by gonzaw
Is there any point where you are not prejudiced at all, even after interacting with someone?
Every time you interact with someone else, you get to know more things about them, and you get to realize stuff about them too. But you can't know them 100%, nor know all their secrets, passions, thoughts, feelings, etc. There are things about them that you can't possibly know or infer, and yet you still judge them accordingly to what you perceive of them at the time (ej: people that are nice towards you who end up being terrible human beings, etc).

You can't be unprejudiced, basically by definition. However, the point is to not be an idiot, asshole, or humanity's shitstain regarding it.

It's difficult to be prejudiced if you've just had sex.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 4