I am primarly a Jazz and Metal player but recently I have gotten into hip hop and Rap.

Does anyone have experience playing this music, know any good tunes to learn or how to get a good tone. (pedals, setting or technique)
By nature, hip hop is usually sampled from other forms of music like funk, jazz and soul. Stevie Wonder is a good place to start.

Failing that: Emphasise the 1 (first beat); keep things simple and fluid; roll of the treble a bit and boost some sub-lows.

Sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9B7rxtxZs4

Original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sf5deeGK4g
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 30, 2015,
I think there's a lot of funk influence there. 2Pac has a couple tunes with really groovy basslines, like "Holler If Ya Hear Me" and "California Love" (Especially the remix on All Eyez on Me).

I guess a safe option would be following the bass drum, like on Nas' "If I Ruled the World".

Also worth checking out Fugees and Lauryn Hill's Miseducation album, cause quite a lot of that has a great mix of soul and hip hop elements that makes for interesting music. "Every Ghetto, Every City" has some nice funk bass on a hip hop beat.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Rapper's Delight has the best bass line.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
wow yall have some old ass tastes

most bass in rap and hip hop from this century is completely synthesized and designed to move air rather than be heard

not that that's a bad thing, but it should be worth acknowledging if you intend on emulating that style. it's way more electronic-centric than funk these days, and the inorganic feel is one of the nicer parts of modern production

failing that there's a handful of tracks that utilize actual bass guitar, but only insofar as there are a handful of tracks with a guitar or a flute.

here's one i enjoy, though, simple as it is
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
wow yall have some old ass tastes

The question was about bass guitar in hip hop, and as you said there's not a huge amount of that left.

Some of Kendrick Lamar's recent tracks have some neat bass parts which sound like a bass guitar rather than a synth, but I could be wrong. "King Kunta" and the chorus of "i" have some nice stuff going on.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
I've noticed in some of the liner notes of albums there is actuall bass players. On Kendrick Lamar its Thundercat, however there are lots of bands that just sample.

But speaking of Kendrick how would one go about getting a sound like the bass on that album? It sounds like it has a lot of effects on it and I don't know much about pedals.
Quote by corrda00
I am primarly a Jazz and Metal player but recently I have gotten into hip hop and Rap.

Does anyone have experience playing this music, know any good tunes to learn or how to get a good tone. (pedals, setting or technique)

If you're playing bass, you may need to talk to a keyboard player. A LOT of hip-hop bass comes from keyboard synths and samplers.

I have a Korg Kronos X that has pretty much all of the sounds you hear on hip-hop bass...
Last edited by dspellman at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by corrda00
But speaking of Kendrick how would one go about getting a sound like the bass on that album? It sounds like it has a lot of effects on it and I don't know much about pedals.

It varies (and to be fair I don't know the album that well, I've yet to buy it) I don't think there are that many effects on it. Thundercat does use a 6 string active semihollow, I don't think he's the sole bassist on the record, though. The opening track has something like an autowah on it, and I'm not sure since the rest of the track is processed a bit weirdly too, but I think "Alright" might have some kind of modulation on it, probably tremolo. The rest obviously has production magic worked on it but sounds like it mostly just falls into the range of pretty normal bass tones. Some bits are a bit honkier and some bits are darker and lower in the mix and no doubt it's all somewhat compressed.

Worth pointing out that when there isn't a real bass on the original track you can usually either do a decent imitation of what's there or a passable job of filling the same role. Hell, some friends of mine did a pretty good job of covering Tempa T's "Next Hype" using 'real instruments' for the beat, and grime beats generally have a lot less in common with music using 'real instruments' than hip hop ones tend to.

^Disclaimer on the whole lot of that is that I'm even more casual a bassist than I am a guitarist, and I'm hardly particularly good at either.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by Hail
here's one i enjoy, though, simple as it is

Well yeah. Bass lines in hip-hop, whether real or synthesized, tend to be simple and repetitive, the same as all of the instruments.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by dspellman
Dirt calls him "Sir."

We'll, Ma'am, in my case. I'm older than dirt. We just had rocks when I was young, which we pounded into dirt.
Quote by dspellman
Dirt calls him "Sir."

does your daddy drive a duelly
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Lauryn Hill's Miseducation album, cause quite a lot of that has a great mix of soul and hip hop elements that makes for interesting music. "Every Ghetto, Every City" has some nice funk bass on a hip hop beat.
Stuart Zender on the bass on that one if I remember rightly
Quote by anarkee

These songs may be quite old but man they sound fun to play! I I'm a bassist myself looking to explore rap, hip hop, and blues after playing metal and alternative rock. And I agree with you, it's all about the groove. You just gave me some fresh new ideas! Thanks