I just got an ESP LTD MH 1000 NT with locking tuners and I was wondering if you are still supposed to wrap the strings around the posts when you use the locking tuners. Are they any good?
You don't have to with locking tuners, but you can.

The whole point of locking tuners is simply to make the guitar faster to restring. They don't really help with tuning stability.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I was just wondering if maybe they were unreliable and you were better off winding around the posts to avoid instability.
Why would they be unreliable?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I always give the unwound strings two winds. This spreads out the tension of bends to discourage burrs from forming.
Quote by jpnyc
I always give the unwound strings two winds. This spreads out the tension of bends to discourage burrs from forming.

Umm, OK....
Quote by jpnyc

That has nothing to do with burrs.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

That has nothing to do with burrs.

Burrs can form where the string breaks over the edge of the tuning machine post. The string moves back and forth over the same spot when it’s bent, slowly cutting into the post the same way it cuts into a bridge saddle. Wrapping the string around the post creates a much larger area of contact with the post so that that the string doesn’t dig in as much.
I wrap them 1/2 way round before locking them
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I pull it tight , then lock it down , then tune string .... it ends up about a half wrap ... locking tuners don't need wraps , but it's OK if you do
they do help with tunig stability by reducing errors stringing or strings slipping / windings that continue to tighten.

most find locking offers less string stretch and less error possibilities, as well as speed.

honestly, after getting my first locking tuner guitar, wow. its a huge joy. i dont think i will ever go back . restringing my acoustic is a CHORE. UGH. my carvin? F it man i restring that thing any time. takes like 5 min. the task is so easy its not even a thang.....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by jpnyc
Burrs can form where the string breaks over the edge of the tuning machine post. The string moves back and forth over the same spot when it’s bent, slowly cutting into the post the same way it cuts into a bridge saddle. Wrapping the string around the post creates a much larger area of contact with the post so that that the string doesn’t dig in as much.

Never thought about that. And I've got locking tuners on '93 model year guitars. I'll have to go check them now. Have you actually had this happen?

Mine usually get about half a turn, maybe 3/4 or so. No issues so far.
making stringing a breeze.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A