Im in the process of looking for a guitar amp that can produce good sound, can be portable and be transported around in a car ( i drive a Toyota corolla) but also if i want to jam with a few friends.

The music is like is traditional 80’s heavy metal and thrash metal. I also like death metal and black metal.

I have spent some time researching some amps and reading their reviews and have nailed it down to these two:
- Peavy Vyper 3
- Marshall DSL40C

Im more leaning towards the Marshall as the reviews about the Peavy have said that it is very difficult to control and play around with the settings. I am almost a noob when it comes to guitar amp settings.

Also years ago i had a Peavy 6505 and sold it because it was too loud and big for me lifestyle. I remember that the i didn’t like the sound of Peavy amps because it sounded too ‘nu school’ if that makes sense. So i am guessing the Vyper would also have this issue as well.

Any suggestions on what i need to look for when decided what amp to buy or any other good amps you can recommend me.
Buy the Marshall DSL40C and upgrade the speaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy the Marshall DSL40C and upgrade the speaker.

+1 and maybe a tube screamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^+1

the WGS veteran 30 is a great replacement and it is only $70
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I tried a 15w DSL with a PRS Mira the other day, it sounded good, actually that Marshall kind of surprised me since I read a lot of bad things about their sound.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Thanks for the responses everyone.

So it looks like I will be getting the Marshall DSL40C then.

I don't know how to change the speakers on these things (noob) and I don't know anyone that could help me. If I just buy the amp and keep the speakers that come with it will it be sufficient for the type of sound I want?
For Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I recommend Celestion V30s or alikes, Weber Grey Dog is another good recommendation. Just make sure the impedance (ohms) matches. Just swap it and make sure it is properly connected, this is VERY important to avoid damage to your amp, like blowing a transformer.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Throwing a new speaker in isn't hard, typically 4 screws and two wire clips, red is normally your positive side of the speaker (it's marked) and black is negative. You may not think it needs it after playing it, but I personally have found that a speaker swap can take an okay sounding amp and make it a fire breather. Definitely give it a play first, you may be fine with the speaker.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Throwing a new speaker in isn't hard, typically 4 screws and two wire clips, red is normally your positive side of the speaker (it's marked) and black is negative. You may not think it needs it after playing it, but I personally have found that a speaker swap can take an okay sounding amp and make it a fire breather. Definitely give it a play first, you may be fine with the speaker.

True Story. A friend has a Laney LC50 combo and I kind of liked its sound. We connected it to a Orange cab I used to have and, oh boy! That thing can reaaaally scream. We were all very impressed.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Yamaha THR10
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 3, 2015,
Tech shouldn't charge you much for changing the speaker, maybe even help you Gert something that'll work better. Not sure what they have in them now but a 70 watt Celestion should suffice, the V30 will be less than amp power caspascity so unless you're getting two in external cab I'd look at other speakers.
^ V30 is fine, it's 60 watts.

Someone really needs to have a word with whoever named the Vintage 30. It doesn't sound vintage, and it's not 30 watts. Causes no end of confusion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Someone really needs to have a word with whoever named the Vintage 30. It doesn't sound vintage, and it's not 30 watts. Causes no end of confusion.

My bad, I thought you meant the 30 watt Celestions (who knows what they call them now ), I'm a bit behind on marketing gimmicks

These should work fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc

It was originally supposed to be a ceramic version of the Alnico Blue from what I have researched.

But saying that the G12T75 was originally supposed to be a 75 watt g12m25
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah that's what I heard too (about the v30 and blue).

Then when it sounded nothing like it I think they tried to claim it stood for "30cm". Not buying that, all their other speakers use inches in the model name (G12). Including the V30.

And yeah lol at the G12t75.

Quote by diabolical
My bad, I thought you meant the 30 watt Celestions (who knows what they call them now ), I'm a bit behind on marketing gimmicks

These should work fine.

No worries. The G12H30 is 30 watts. They have a higher wattage version of it out now, though (I haven't tried it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 4, 2015,