Hi I'm looking at buying a cheap 7 string guitar and I have 3 that I have seen which are in my price range, they are:
Dean c750x
Ibanez grg7221
Shecter Omen

They are all a similar price but I was just wondering which one is best value for money
Stay away from cheap deans and the Ibanez Gio series. Schecters however are great guitars.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Thank you, the Omen was kinda my top pick as I haven't heard great things about Dean and already own an Ibanez 6 string.
I have 2 more options though and I'm not sure the difference. The standard Omen 7 white or the Omen extreme c7 see through black. Any more help please.
The Omen Extreme is made out of a Mahogany body whilst the Omen is made out of basswood. So my choice would be the Extreme. That way if you upgrade it later it'll be more worth it. BUT. I'm going to recommend you check out used one's as well because you can get a "Damien Elite 7" used with a Tone Pros Tune O Matic bridge, grover tuners, and REAL EMGs (I'm an EMG fanboy.) for $330 used right now in 5 star condition.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Thanks I will maybe get the extreme c7, I will also look out for the Damien elite 7 too, if I can find one anywhere. Thanks for the help
Want some links to online ones? I found a few on reverb and GC as well. Some even come with cases as well as various colors. Though I DO recommend playing before paying so I get that.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Lol. Sounds good to me. I might be getting one myself today. (Doubting it, but maybe. I'm going to GC and might trade in one of my guitars due to it playing differently than I'd like it to.)
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
OH! And I must admit I'm not a 7 string player. I am a 6 stringer. All my experience is with the 6 string versions. But I'm sure the rules stay similar from 6 to 7 other than the wider neck thing.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
OP, are you in America? If so check out Agile guitars too, you can get them at rondo music.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Disclaimer: All knowledge of 7 strings are due to my research and purchase of an 8-string. Do with this information what you will.

I don't know how the prices are on your side, and why you settled in the Gio series when you can get a standard for roughly the same price as the Omen.

The Ibanez RG (standard, I must stress) series is a fairly consistent line of guitars. I bought an RG8, and it plays fine (when I'm not sucking). No obviously uneven frets, no sharp frets, etc. Which guitar you wish to pick from the series is up to you. Apparently there's a crapload of them with seemingly random permutation of letters. You have to do your own research on this. The eight strings are easy because they're all fixed bridges with no tremolo bars, so for me it was either the RG8, RGA8, or RG2228.

Schecter seems to make pretty good guitars as well. I almost got the Omen 8 but I was put off by a huge ass heel on the higher frets, which would make playing it in the higher registers a PITA. The RG series (RG8, at least) has a fairly accessible higher register. I believe this heel is present in the entire Omen series, but absent in the Omen Extreme series.
I have a Demon 7 which is fairly similar to the Omens besides having active pickups, and it's a very solid guitar overall. I also have had a chance to play an Omen 7, and they really are probably among the best in their price range.

If you could get your hands on a Damien Elite then that would be awesome, if you're fine with EMGs (which are pretty love-or-hate pickups), they're almost a steal for the hardware they offer relative to their price (and Schecter's QC is very solid overall).

As suggested above, standard Ibanez models are also OK and they are generally lighter and with thinner necks if that's your thing (Omens have necks which are not very thin, but cannot be called "thick" by anyone with a sober mind imo, and I find them comfortable despite my small hands), although I've generally heard less favourable opinions about their QC, particularly pickups and fretwork.
Hmm il stick with the schecter, if I can't find a cheap Damien elite i might just get the extreme series model.
Quote by Joe310707
Thanks I will maybe get the extreme c7, I will also look out for the Damien elite 7 too, if I can find one anywhere. Thanks for the help

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DME7TBB?adpos=1o1&creative=55280653081&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CNHR6LHEhccCFUFufgodvrEP9A

That's a link to the Damien Elite 7, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. If you're knowledgeable about what to look for in a guitar, I picked mine up for $300 US used, so there are really good deals out there if you know what to look for and avoid in a used guitar. The guitar is an absolute beast, and I have other guitars that retailed for well above 1K US that I prefer it over. I never really spent a lot of time with Schecter over the years, but after this one, I was so impressed that my next guitar will be Schecter as well. Truly amazing guitar, and for price? It plays like something that costs 300 more. It's a little above what you were looking to pay, but if you're not in a rush to buy, it's 100% worth waiting an extra couple of months to save up the dough necessary.

You mentioned Ibanez, and if you're still looking for that, the RG7421 is a great guitar with horrible pickups and electronics. The great thing about that is that it won't kill your budget, and as you save money up, you can replace the pickups, etc over time and have a killer guitar - it's basically mod-ready. But yeah, as stated above, stay far, far way from any GRG/Gio series. Link to the 7421 is below -
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg-series-rg7421-7-string-electric-guitar?rNtt=RG7421&index=1

It also comes in a natural wood finish with a mahogany body for the same price, if that's your thing. I tend to prefer mahogany as it's fuller in the ass-end, which I like.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Jul 31, 2015,
I second the Agile recommendation. Made by the same guys who make some of the Schecters but you can get better specs for a better price.
Quote by GraceByDeath
Type in "Damien Elite 7" and only get the one's with the Stained Cross inlay. Not the bats!

Agreed here is a shot of my Damien Elite 7, it is a beast!

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thanks for the info, probably a Schecter for me then.
I've also seen the Jackson dinky 7 string guitar, it's quite cheap and I have enjoyed playing Jackson guitars in the past, anyone know if these are any good?
If it's a JS, I probably wouldn't get a Jackson. They don't really start to get any good until the X series.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
My JS was meh all around.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If it's a JS, I probably wouldn't get a Jackson. They don't really start to get any good until the X series.

Yep.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I played a JS32T Rhoads in Black with White Bevels the other day to see if it'd be a fun moddable toy...It was one of the worst things I ever put in my hands. Felt sticky, too light, neck heavy (Though still too light), pickups made a horrible hum despite being humbuckers. Pros! Rhythms sounded meh. It COULD play dirty if I tried really hard. But all the dirt turned to mud sooooooo fast. You get what you pay for though. Needless to say I didn't pay. Put it down shortly after tuning it up. Here's the model to avoid it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32t-rhoads-electric-guitar/h97608000003000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CKSj9bmJh8cCFQiNaQodqdMMBg&kwid=productads-plaid^83573432667-sku^H97608000003000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

EDIT: Weird. The one I played claimed to have an Indian Cedro body, but MF and GC claim basswood on their site. As well as the Jackson site.
Quote by Roc8995

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Aug 1, 2015,
I have the Schecter Damien 7 Elite FR. As far as I know, they changed the specs a little since I bought mine, but here's my input:

Cons:

The pickups are actually pretty poo. Running the 18v mod makes them a bit better, but they sound rather dull and lifeless.

I had 3 tuning pegs break (internal mechanism broke).

The black chrome hardware looks nice for a while, but after a few months the finish comes off where you use it most (palm muting on the bridge). Standard wear and tear, but try and avoid black nickel.

The FR bar became became very loose after about a month (can be fixed with plumbers tape though).

Positives:

The finish and paint still looks amazing years later (I don't knock my guitars too much).

It is really a solid guitar, certainly good build quality.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by GraceByDeath at #33527269
I played a JS32T Rhoads in Black with White Bevels the other day to see if it'd be a fun moddable toy...It was one of the worst things I ever put in my hands. Felt sticky, too light, neck heavy (Though still too light), pickups made a horrible hum despite being humbuckers. Pros! Rhythms sounded meh. It COULD play dirty if I tried really hard. But all the dirt turned to mud sooooooo fast. You get what you pay for though. Needless to say I didn't pay. Put it down shortly after tuning it up. Here's the model to avoid it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js32t-rhoads-electric-guitar/h97608000003000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CKSj9bmJh8cCFQiNaQodqdMMBg&kwid=productads-plaid^83573432667-sku^H97608000003000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^53736456387

EDIT: Weird. The one I played claimed to have an Indian Cedro body, but MF and GC claim basswood on their site. As well as the Jackson site.

Yeah for £150, it is what it is. It's very hard to find decent quality parts to build a guitar for £150, let alone the building process itself. Even if you buy those components in bulk. And if you want that with a Floyd Rose? Forget it. Not going to happen.

A manufacturer has to build their guitars ridiculously cheaply to make any meaningful profit from each sale. Corners have to be cut absolutely everywhere in production. When it comes to such cheap guitars, you really do get what you pay for.

I'd consider the JS guitars to be a solid alternative to an Ibanez GIO of the same amount. They are about as meh as one another in my experience.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 1, 2015,
I've got the Stephen carpenter ltd sc-207 plays like a beast, sounded okay with the original pickups, sounds better with the emg 707s.
There are only three things in life that you can count on...
Death
Taxes
METAL

Jericho Fusion quilted maple-BKP painkiller
LTD Stephen Carpenter SC-207 -EMG 707s
Schecter Omen 6 - SD invader
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo