2 5%
Ibanez RG series
23 59%
ukelele
11 28%
Voters: 39.
Page 1 of 2
Hey babes,

I'm considering blowing under $500 on an electric g, since I play bass I'm only looking for good value for price low-end stuff.

This is what caught my attention so far (links for pics at bottom):

- the Ibanez RG421 (approx $370)

- the Jackson JS32T Rhoads and JS32T King V (approx $390)

- the Dean Razorback DB or Dave Mustaine Signature V ($360DB - $470V)

I've played a lot on these names for the bass but never their guitars, so I've no idea how much effort they've put into their low-end affordable products. If you've played any of these I'd appreciate your recommendation or input, or if you have knowledge in general on what brand's low-ends are more efficient/reliable let me hear what you have to say. I'm also open to checking out new recommendations on a guitar <$500.

Thank you!

Links:
Ibanez RG421: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-RG421-MOL-Electric-Guitar-Mahogany-Oil/WVD
Jackson JS32T Rhoads: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Jackson-JS32T-Rhoads-Electric-Guitar-White/ZI0
Jackson JS32T King V: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Jackson-JS32T-King-V-Electric-Guitar-Gloss-Black/ZHS
DeanRazorback DB: http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dean-Razorback-DB-Electric-Guitar-Classic-Black/FSR
Dean Dave Mustaine SV: www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-Signature-V-Electric-Guitar-Black/FRP or http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Dean-Dave-Mustaine-Signature-V-Electric-Guitar-United-Abomination/FRN
how do you edit signature?
I'm no expert, but the Dean Abomination V you linked is the only one with a Mahogany body which is a better wood than the basswood on the other models. It also has Grover tuners which are nice. For those prices, I would choose that, as long as you like the graphic.

It also comes with some free stuff as well (though those shouldn't make the sell haha).

Edit: Just noticed the Ibanez is different then the one I thought it was. The Ibanez is the best option from those listed.
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Jul 31, 2015,
Ibanez. The 421 is a lot more consistently made than the others you've listed.

Are you willing to go used?
Quote by Dinglebuttz at #33526354
I'm no expert, but the Dean Abomination V you linked is the only one with a Mahogany body which is a better wood than the basswood on the other models.

Don't mention it. We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 31, 2015,
I have 2 Deans that I love, but I'd go with Ibanez over most of the other brands out there for sub-$500 metal guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Ibanez. The 421 is a lot more consistently made than the others you've listed.

Are you willing to go used?

Don't mention it. We already knew from the rest of the sentence that you really don't know what you're talking about.

I appreciate your opinion on the Ibanez, but there is really no reason to be condescending towards me. I'm well aware that low end Dean's are frowned upon, but overall, mahogany wood is a better wood than basswood.

However, I would use his advice and look in the used department as well. You can probably find a lot better guitar for the money.

Edit: Just noticed the Ibanez in the link is different then the one I was thinking of. It is definitely the best of those options. Forget my Dean suggestion. I'd still look around at used ones though.
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Jul 31, 2015,
Quote by Dinglebuttz at #33526387
I appreciate your opinion on the Ibanez, but there is really no reason to be condescending towards me. I'm well aware that low end Dean's are frowned upon, but overall, mahogany wood is a better wood than basswood.

The reason I was being condescending because this statement is ignorant and it prompts the beating of a dead horse.

Basswood is no worse of a material to make a guitar from than mahogany. It's just different. And even if they are different, the material a body is made from really doesn't matter very much whatsoever when it comes to electric guitars. The only notable differences are the weight and how prone the wood is to dents.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 31, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The reason I was being condescending because this statement is ignorant and it prompts the beating of a dead horse.

Basswood is no worse of a material to make a guitar from than mahogany. It's just different. And even if they are different, the material a body is made from really doesn't matter very much whatsoever when it comes to electric guitars. The only notable differences are the weight and how prone the wood is to dents.

I should have added an "In my opinion" onto that statement. I prefer mahogany over basswood personally since it gives a slightly warmer tone. I also prefer heavier guitars, but again, purely a personal preference. Sorry for beating a dead horse lol.

I did edit my original post to choose the Ibanez though, I was thinking of the Gio series when I read the first post. The RG421 is the best choice listed, and thanks for encouraging me to look it up to correct my mistake.
Thanks for the input, I'm glad you mentioned the Ibanez it was the one I thought would be better for reliability, the others looked so metal they baited my consideration.

I was thinking about going used but I haven't come across anything good yet from UK dealers. I haven't seen crazy good deals for great guitars at my price range, or even low-ends. and I don't want to pay expensive shipment fees from international dealers. I'm in no hurry so I'll still be looking around on ebay and gumtree, but for now the $370 421 is my best price-value option.
At $500 I'd look for a used Jackson DKMG (with Floyd) or DKMGT (without Floyd). Guitar Center has a bunch for your price range.

You can also get some decent used Ibanez RG models for that price or just slightly above. Look for used Prestige Models or search for used RG1570 as a starting point.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'd wait to get $50 more and buy a Jackson SLX, a fine mid-range guitar.
The ibanez would be my choice out of those 3. IMO you can get a much better guitar for that money from schecter. Just a suggestion tho...
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
I'm a Jackson guy myself, but those JS series are awful. I really don't recommend them. They feel like plastic and play like a six stringed boomstick. It's good enough to throw it in a bonfire, but for playing or recording guitar along with your bass, nope!

I would recommend the X series or if you have a bigger budget the Pro Series from Jackson. I got my Pro Series RR3 in 2008 and besides some minor and easy solvable issues with the electronics, it still rips ;-)
FWIW, I have an S770 with the same humbuckers as the RG421(it has a single coil in mid as well), and the Wizard III neck. The pickups sound pretty good, and the neck plays really nicely.

The S521 is a bit more expensive than the RG, but it's basically the same, with the S series body shape, so it's lightweight and really comfortable.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-Used-Jackson-DKMGT-Black-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-111251238-i4409750.gc?country=us&currency=usd&isfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwueytBRCmpOyZ2L-xrG8SJADwH5c6ClxqjPKhECKM7uHvgml7gburNitilnHqLGD1HAvoOxoCVzHw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^134293105242-sku^111251238@ADL1U@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^66736785762

I have one of these with a tune-o-matic bridge and i love it to death. Alder body, Active emgs, maple (i think) neck and rosewood fretboard. Plays like a dream, and i did the 18v mod to the pickups and it sounds really good too.

My old roommate has an rg421 with swapped out KFK EMGS, and i never really loved the feel, or sound. Its not a bad guitar, but i wouldn't compare it to my Jackson which cost about the same.

When it comes to wood type, i would say the cheaper the wood, the worse it is no matter what type. cheap mahogany will sound "worse" than quality basswood etc..

Another word of advice is, in my experience, "stock" pickups that come from the same brand as the guitar, usually aren't great. Jackson, ibanez etc..branded pickups on low end instruments are usually made with budget in mind. Thats not always the case though. I have a prestige ibanez RGD with Ibanez branded pickups that are awesome.

The best advice i can give is to hit a music shop if possible, and play around for a few hours. Always consider used gear.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Last edited by player o slayer at Jul 31, 2015,
Just gonna point out this one's on sale. THE most bang for your buck at $400 I've ever seen. EMG 81/85, ebony fingerboard, 1000 Series Floyd, Neck through, Grover tuners, and "top" it all off with a Quilted Maple top...Never played one myself and I don't did glossed necks, but this appears pretty incredible. http://www.rondomusic.com/INTEPRO625ebemgbkqlt.html
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

totally sig'd.

i would look for either an:

-ibanez prestige (may have to drop a few more $$$)

-jackson DKMG/DKMGT, or another MIJ model.

-a charvel so-cal. MIJ
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm pretty sure a thread about lower-end guitars for metal without any mention of Schecter has no right to exist.

A fairly important question I think is whether you're fine with/like active pickups, but either way, two interesting options to consider imo, both around $400 new I think:
Demon (active pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/demon/demon-6-detail - I've owned a 7-string version of this one for two years, and I think the pickups might be the best stock pickups in this price range. They sound ****ing MASSIVE while being more than usable for clean/low-gain sounds. (Very bright though, but I like that.)
Omen Extreme (passive pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/omen-omen-active/o-0-detail - never got to play an Extreme, but I played a regular Omen (which is slightly cheaper), and it's very solid very much like the Demon.

Generally I think they're more than solid for this price range, and you can mod them later if you want to. Schecter also has a reputation for very decent QC even for the cheaper models. The only note is that Schecters have slightly thicker necks than Ibanez, but they're pretty reasonable medium thickness.

If you're fine with used and you're fine with EMG pickups (which tend to be love-or-hate), you might want to look for a Damien Elite, which is apparently a bit over $500 new, so a used one should be just within range:
http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/damien-elite/damien-elite-6-detail

And if you're really lucky, you might even find a used Hellraiser or Blackjack, and those are pretty much solid midrange workhorse guitars.
What about Cort guitars? I want to get KX5 as my first axe. Some people say that it's incredible for the price.
Ibanez makes great guitars you can get used at that price range. I'm in Japan so the market is different, but I got a Prestige 2550 for under $500 usd. It had dents but little fretwear and has good electronics. Ibanez 470 are also solid, but a step down from prestiges.
Quote by jozef2451
What about Cort guitars? I want to get KX5 as my first axe. Some people say that it's incredible for the price.

please don't threadjack. start your own post if you have a question.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Lot of people and guitar builders, like PRS, think the basswood is an inferior tonewood. Myself included.

Get a DKMG/DKMGT, LTD 500/1000 series or a Charvel Pro Mod like T00DEEPBLUE stated though, very nice guitars.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by Perverockstar69
Lot of people and guitar builders, like PRS, think the basswood is an inferior tonewood. Myself included.

There is no such thing as "inferior tonewood". It's personal preference. There is literally no objective claim that can be made for one wood being "better" than another. Mahogany is generally more expensive than basswood, but that's because it's more rare. Absolutely no other reason. John Petrucci has EBMM use basswood for his signature model guitars, even though he could have anything, and EBMM could use anything, at that price range. Why? Because he likes the sound and feel.

It's all opinion. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. And that includes guitar builders.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
There is no such thing as "inferior tonewood". It's personal preference. There is literally no objective claim that can be made for one wood being "better" than another. Mahogany is generally more expensive than basswood, but that's because it's more rare. Absolutely no other reason. John Petrucci has EBMM use basswood for his signature model guitars, even though he could have anything, and EBMM could use anything, at that price range. Why? Because he likes the sound and feel.

It's all opinion. Anyone who claims otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. And that includes guitar builders.

Yep, it is all opinion. I said that there are people whom consider it like that and it is a fact that these people exist. In their and my opinion, it is inferior, and it is ok. For other people like Petrucci and Ernie Ball think it is not, that it is a good tonewood, and that is ok too.

Adding, I do not need anyone to agree with me.

I have played many basswood guitars and I do not like how they sounded, and yeah, that is subjective. I'm not saying the opposite.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
sniped*

Quote by Perverockstar69

Get a DKMG/DKMGT, LTD 500/1000 series or a Charvel Pro Mod like T00DEEPBLUE stated though, very nice guitars.

i have to disagree with basswood being inferior, its just different...

there are a lot of high end guitars made out of basswood too.

for example off the top of my head, John Suhr uses basswood, ibanez J-craft and j-custom use basswood, etc. IIRC EBMM
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have to disagree with basswood being inferior, its just different...

there are a lot of high end guitars made out of basswood too.

for example off the top of my head, John Suhr uses basswood, ibanez J-craft and j-custom use basswood, etc.

What about inferior for my tastes?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69

If you're really wondering why people are still disagreeing with your statement, it's because "inferior" is not the right word to use, if you're acknowledging that it's just an opinion, and not an objective fact.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by Perverockstar69

i may have phrased it wrong. nothing is wrong with your tastes.

its all good
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by the_bi99man
If you're really wondering why people are still disagreeing with your statement, it's because "inferior" is not the right word to use, if you're acknowledging that it's just an opinion, and not an objective fact.

I give you that, you are right, it is not the proper word.

Thank you!

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i may have phrased it wrong. nothing is wrong with your tastes.

its all good

My bad, I'm the one who phrased it wrong.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by TheLiberation
I'm pretty sure a thread about lower-end guitars for metal without any mention of Schecter has no right to exist.

A fairly important question I think is whether you're fine with/like active pickups, but either way, two interesting options to consider imo, both around $400 new I think:
Demon (active pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/demon/demon-6-detail - I've owned a 7-string version of this one for two years, and I think the pickups might be the best stock pickups in this price range. They sound ****ing MASSIVE while being more than usable for clean/low-gain sounds. (Very bright though, but I like that.)
Omen Extreme (passive pickups) - http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/omen-omen-active/o-0-detail - never got to play an Extreme, but I played a regular Omen (which is slightly cheaper), and it's very solid very much like the Demon.

Generally I think they're more than solid for this price range, and you can mod them later if you want to. Schecter also has a reputation for very decent QC even for the cheaper models. The only note is that Schecters have slightly thicker necks than Ibanez, but they're pretty reasonable medium thickness.

If you're fine with used and you're fine with EMG pickups (which tend to be love-or-hate), you might want to look for a Damien Elite, which is apparently a bit over $500 new, so a used one should be just within range:
http://schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/damien-elite/damien-elite-6-detail

And if you're really lucky, you might even find a used Hellraiser or Blackjack, and those are pretty much solid midrange workhorse guitars.

I really like the models you posted and I have considered Schecter as another viable option, along with ESPs. The only problem is I'm based in the UK and the websites I'm using don't have a large list of options for Schecter Omens/Demons or ESPs, which sucks because I really dig the Demon models. So I have to consider shipping fees as well if I'm gonna purchase from American suppliers.

I'll look deeper into schecter, though judging by the current poll I think the ukelele's my best option
id personally go for a used ltd 400 series.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Perverockstar69 at #33530267

Why have a preference for something that doesn't really matter?

Unless you want something that just looks prettier.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why have a preference for something that doesn't really matter?

Unless you want something that just looks prettier.

It matters to me. It is not about the looks, I have tried guitars with basswood and certainly is something I do not like.

That being said I think you recommended the best guitars, and I will add the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, AMAZING guitar for its price. Basswood xD

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Of the three makes I would go with Ibanez. Jacksons are hard to find in the UK, and the cheap Deans, are, well, awful.

Schechter are very decent in this price range.

I'd personally be looking at LTD.

I'd also definitely go used. There's no reason to buy new, if you buy used you will get twice as much for your money.

Where abouts in the UK do you live? We might be able to help you with good local shops.

By the way, check out guitarguitar's preowned stock:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars.asp

They ship orders over £199 free.
Go used and get a nice Charvel/Jackson/LTD.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
You'd be surprised at what you can get used or blemished, so keep your eyes peeled. A lot of what makes one guitar better or worse than another is how they feel. It might do you good to head into a store and play a few guitars before committing to one based 100% on strangers opinions.

Ibanez necks, for example, are thin and give some people hand cramps. I'd recommend the Ibanez all the way because RG's are just one of those guitars that feel good to me, but me and you are different people. Dean, from my observations, are worth avoiding. Lots of iffy stories on all tiers of their guitars. In general you want to hopefully try out exactly what you'll be buying. The biggest downfall of low and mid tier guitars is that quality control is a little more lax and thus quite a few duds make their way through. If you can play a few guitars in your price range, you'll know exactly what you're getting. If you buy blind, you may just run into issues.

Someone mentioned Agile, and those are worth a look if you live in the US only. You can't try them out in stores, and they can be hit or miss. I've owned a few and for the most part they're pretty decent. (out of the seven or so I've owned, only one was dull and lifeless.) The return policy is pretty lenient, and the guy who runs it is friendly enough, but again, avoid them if you're outside of the US.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
please don't threadjack. start your own post if you have a question.

Sorry. Didn't mean it like that. I just wanted to help.
Quote by dragonzrmetal

Where abouts in the UK do you live? We might be able to help you with good local shops.
By the way, check out guitarguitar's preowned stock:
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars.asp

They ship orders over £199 free.

Yeah judging by the thread I reckon going used is best since I'm not anal about cracks/dents. I live in London but based in York most of the year for my uni degree. Right now I'm looking around the guitarcenter web to see if I can get a good deal despite the extra shipping fees, and googling for used/preowned uk based guitar dealers. The ones I've found so far aren't as big as guitar center so choice is pretty limited.

What LTD series would you recommend? I've heard good things about the 500/1000 but they look a little expensive, the new ones at least. That's another thing I have trouble with which is knowing which series aren't shit, I look at reviews on the ug forum but they seem too naively written/rated, for the low-ends at least.
Quote by metalmingee
At $500 I'd look for a used Jackson DKMG (with Floyd) or DKMGT (without Floyd). Guitar Center has a bunch for your price range.

You can also get some decent used Ibanez RG models for that price or just slightly above. Look for used Prestige Models or search for used RG1570 as a starting point.

I have both a DKMG and DKMGT both are awesome I bought them used gave $300 a piece for each! The local GC here in Indianapolis has a nice Black Forrest green DKMG for $399 I was plucking around on it the other day its really nice if I didn't already have green one I'd probably snag it myself in fact I might still!!

Whenever I am looking to spend $500 or less I always go for something used you will get more bang for your buck!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 4, 2015,
I've found some good deals on ex-demos but unfortunately not for schecters or jacksons, but epiphones. There's the:

- Epiphone G-400 Pro
- Epiphone Les Paul Studio
- Epiphone Explorer

all at my affordable price range. I dig their designs but I don't know if these SG or LP models would hold up for guitar shredding compared to the Ibanez RG421. I can probably get way more bang for my buck on an awesome used but since I'm more into bass I'm fine settling on low-end guitar models, used or new, I just want to find the best option out of the affordable range to try out.
Quote by arvarna at #33533337
I've found some good deals on ex-demos but unfortunately not for schecters or jacksons, but epiphones. There's the:

- Epiphone G-400 Pro
- Epiphone Les Paul Studio
- Epiphone Explorer

all at my affordable price range. I dig their designs but I don't know if these SG or LP models would hold up for guitar shredding compared to the Ibanez RG421. I can probably get way more bang for my buck on an awesome used but since I'm more into bass I'm fine settling on low-end guitar models, used or new, I just want to find the best option out of the affordable range to try out.

Those guitars will hold up just fine for whatever genre you play with them. Guitars are never dependent on playing any single genre.

Nobody can answer the question of whether they will be good guitars for you. You have to play them yourself and make up your own mind. The necks on Epiphones will be thicker (on average) than something like an Ibanez or a Jackson, but that is a sweeping generalisation. Really it depends on the specific model you're talking about. The Epiphone Prophecy guitars for example have very, very thin necks that are comparable to an Ibanez Wizard in thickness but are a bit more rounded, a shorter scale length and have a narrower standard 42mm string spacing as opposed to 43mm for most Ibanez guitars. It doesn't sound like a significant difference but when it comes to neck profiles, every millimeter counts.

The only way you're really going to know what is right for you is playing them yourself as it's entirely personal preference. There's no such thing as an objectively 'good' or 'bad' neck profile, unlike what most marketing executives and fanboys loyal to a particular brand may want you to believe.

Regarding the particular guitars you're talking about, assuming you're talking about regular guitar models and not special signature guitars where anything goes, the SG and the Les Paul will have what Gibson calls a 60's slimtaper profile. It's a neck shape somewhat based on a 1960's Gibson LP Standard. A lot of 14 year olds who play Ibanez Wizard-necked guitars will assert that they're like baseball bats, when really they aren't. They're just so used to playing with extremely thin necks that anything different feels very foreign to them. The reality is that they're a pretty averagely thick C-shape.

I think the Epiphone Explorer will be more D-shaped but it depends on what particular model of Explorer we're talking about. Some have a C-shape much like the LP and the SG. Others have a D-shape and are considerably thinner, like a Gibson Explorer. I personally adore the D-shaped neck that you find on Gibson V's and Explorers, but that's just me.

The pickups that come on Epiphones depends on the particular model of SG, Explorer and LP as well. But generally when it comes to Epiphone's own Alnico pickups, they try to be replicas of the equivalent Gibson pickups. Which are generally a jack of all trades, but a master of none. But again, it depends on what pickups you're talking about. Some Gibson pickups have a higher output that hits the preamp tubes harder at the cost of having good cleans, much like what you'll get with most 'metal' guitars. Do your own research on the particular model you're looking at so that you know what you're getting spec-wise.

I've already mentioned it twice, but I cannot stress enough the importance of actually playing the guitars yourself and coming to your own conclusions really is.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 5, 2015,
Page 1 of 2