what is correct terminology for describing the occurrence in time of notes in music?

I am writing to ask how to describe, using generally accepted terminology, the absolute positions of notes in a bar of music.
I've submitted a couple of tabs hastily and in the process of submitting revisions find that I have no clue how to say that I've moved a note forward (toward the end of a piece of music) or backward. For example, in change notes that I was considering submitting along with a revision, I wrote: changed D ghost note at beat 2 of 16 to D dead note at beat 5 of 16 (for a piece in which I was using 16 intervals per bar).
I'm sure the answer is in an article on music theory out on the web somewhere but so far my search has led only to very basic descriptions of values of notes and time signatures.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by saucerdesigner at Aug 1, 2015,
Use rests, if I understand what you're asking. Not sure what you mean by "16 intervals per bar", do you mean 16 beats per bar? That is possible but not very common. If you had four beats in a bar and wanted to move a note on beat one to beat two you'd just add a quarter note rest.
I did something similar to a few of my tabs. This may help more than most.

You can count sixteen in a measure, but it's usually a sixteenth-note division of 4/4 or something to that extent.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by derek8520
Use rests, if I understand what you're asking. Not sure what you mean by "16 intervals per bar", do you mean 16 beats per bar? That is possible but not very common. If you had four beats in a bar and wanted to move a note on beat one to beat two you'd just add a quarter note rest.

Thank you for your reply derek8520.
I'm using TablEdit to generate the tabs. Among the options available in the program is the ability to display the scale in 1/8 notes, 1/16 notes (default), 1/32 notes or 1/64 notes. I had made a revision by shifting the position of a note (by clicking and dragging the note in TablEdit) and wanted to describe the change using standard musical terminology...no need to manually insert rests, the software does it for you.

In the scenario I described, I used 16 intervals per bar; or 4 intervals per beat as a simplification.

In actual practice, I display the scale in 1/32 notes in order to handle the ghost and muted notes. In the revision, I had moved a note by 1/32 interval and want to know how to describe the change. Please see the attachment.
Thanks again.
Attachments:
bar 54 (Small).jpg
Last edited by saucerdesigner at Jul 31, 2015,